What's new

Cleaning Gillette Fatboy

Hi folks,

I've been looking at some of the other threads but wanted to see if I could home in a little bit on a specific question.

I have cleaned and polished the exterior of my Gillette Fatboy, and I'm really pleased with the results. But based on the the amount of surface material that I was able to clean and wipe off, and the state of my Sonicare toothbrush when I remove the head, I was considering the inside of the barrel.

I watched Captain Murphy's videos online and while I think I could manage the job, I don't really have a shop here to do the work.

I've considered a warm water soak, and maybe some compressed air.

Am I the only one that thinks about this, and if not, what other options are there, short of disassembling the razor?

Thx in advance for the advice.

I use the hot water from my Keurig dispenser and dawn dish detergent. The gunkier the razor the longer I let it soak, overnight sometimes. Repeat if necessary.

Soaking is all that is needed - unless you have a problem with the heads not opening and closing or sticking.

This one is opening and closing well. The adjustment is working well too. I'll do the soak just for my peace of mind I guess!

I soaked my antique finds overnight in hot water and dish soap in a yeti (to keep warm), scrubbed it with scrubbing bubbles, soaked again, and ended it with a run through the dishwasher. After all was said and done, I took the bottom endcap off and pulled off the doors and didn't see any gunk or buildup inside the razor. I was pretty happy with it!

I warmed water on the stove then removed it from the element. A little bit of Dawn was added and mixed, then I soaked the razor for a half hour or so. I brushed over the pan and the water got a little cloudy, but not what I'd call funky. I think it came out pretty good! Thanks for the help!

Ultrasonic cleaners work well. Unfortunately they will remove the paint from the numbers on the adjustment ring. I found out the hard way so now I'll only use it on non-adjustables. If you need to free up as sticky one you could use the ultrasonic and repaint the numbers.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I warmed water on the stove then removed it from the element. A little bit of Dawn was added and mixed, then I soaked the razor for a half hour or so. I brushed over the pan and the water got a little cloudy, but not what I'd call funky. I think it came out pretty good! Thanks for the help!
Very glad to hear!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Take it easy when cleaning and be patient. I was not patient with a Red Tip that I received that was filthy so I used Bi Carb Soda and hot water, it cleaned up the razor but it also stripped the red paint off the tip.

"If it ain't broke..." Just soak it overnite in Dawn and (maybe) shoot some compressed air down the pipe. This should suffice in cleaning out the inside of the handle. I'm always leary of disassembling anything if really not needed. I learned the hard way once.

Top Bottom