What's new

Cleaning Gem 1912s

How do you clean your Gem 1912 and Gem 1912 Junior? How does one clean under the head? For my double edge razors I use dish soap and a toothbrush under warm water.

Easy. Just open the frame cover so the frame interior is exposed, and wash as you have described above.

IMG_20220402_215445306.jpgIMG_20220402_215147829.jpgIMG_20220402_215203282.jpgIMG_20220402_215241527.jpg

If you wish, unscrew the handle and clean the frame exterior also, using the usual method as you have described.

There is really no mystery to the tough and well-built 1912.

As I have said, just treat the blade frame retention hooks with a little care.

Easy. Just open the frame spring so the frame interior is exposed, and wash as you have described above.

View attachment 1498494View attachment 1498496View attachment 1498498

If you wish, unscrew the handle and clean the frame exterior also, using the usual method as you have desribed.

There is really no mystery to the tough and well-built 1912.

As I have said, just treat the blade frame retention hooks with a little care.
Hello again! The part that is hard to reach is the under the head portion blocked by the screw in handle hole.

Also, can you take a look at these questions for me?

Travel Case/Kit Recommendation - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/travel-case-kit-recommendation.627696/

Gem 1912 Curved - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-1912-curved.627691/

Hello again! The part that is hard to reach is the under the head portion blocked by the screw in handle hole.
You know it is a 2 piece razor right?

Just unscrew the handle and clean the frame exterior and interior. Look at the pics I provided.

It's a simple procedure, really.

Mine came with a bakelite case.
IMG_20220402_214538755.jpg

There is the GEM or Ever Ready Junior travel set that came in a metal clamshell case. they were made both for the US and British market. Often green in colour. Mid-late 30's. I tend to use a late 50's English Gillette Tech for travel, camping.

I am unfamiliar with a 1912 Curved type.

Last edited:
I bought a couple. One of them was pristine, the other needed some cleaning. I found soaking in warm water and dish soap, then scrubbing with an old toothbrush worked well (plus a microfiber cloth). After cleaning, it looks almost new. Amazing for such an antique piece!

You know it is a 2 piece razor right?

Just unscrew the handle and clean the frame exterior and interior. Look at the pics I provided.

It's a simple procedure, really.

Mine came with a bakelite case
View attachment 1498502

There is the GEM junior travel set that came in a metal clamshell case. Often green in colour. I tend to use a Gillette Tech for travel, camping.

I am unfamiliar with a 1912 Curved type.
Yes, I know it is a two piece haha. Okay. I’ll try that.

My Gem 1912 Junior came from a good seller on Ebay and I’ve caught the SE Bug and bought his former Gem 1912 that he had replated in Rhodium.

Here it is…is this a standard Gem 1912? It is missing any wording on the back of the head.
F0701139-0B45-4D53-85FB-413613156EC3.png

I bought a couple. One of them was pristine, the other needed some cleaning. I found soaking in warm water and dish soap, then scrubbing with an old toothbrush worked well (plus a microfiber cloth). After cleaning, it looks almost new. Amazing for such an antique piece!
Thank you for the info! I’m new to SE shaving.

Yes, I know it is a two piece haha. Okay. I’ll try that.

My Gem 1912 Junior came from a good seller on Ebay and I’ve caught the SE Bug and bought his former Gem 1912 that he had replated in Rhodium.

Here it is…is this a standard Gem 1912? It is missing any wording on the back of the head.
View attachment 1498503View attachment 1498503
Yep, that is a very nice example of a standard 1912 Improved, made anywhere from the mid 30's to the very early 50's.

Lovely razors, as I have said, and if you have read the links I provided, easy to use, with a fairly brief learning curve. Also please check out the timeline link I provided, it will answer all your questions as to variations and model evolution.

Don't over-think them. Just enjoy a great shaving experience with the wonderful 1912!

I look forward to your first shaving report at Single Edge Sunday, it's a sub-forum for SE fans.

Last edited:
Yep, that is a very nice example of a standard 1912 Improved, made anywhere from the mid 30's to the very early 50's.

Lovely razors, as I have said, and if you have read the links I provided, easy to use, with a fairly brief learning curve. Also please check out the timelink link I provided, it will answer all your questions as to variations and model evolution.

Don't over-think them. Just enjoy a great shaving experience with the wonderful 1912!
Oh so far the Junior I have has been great! Second shave tomorrow with it. Hope it’ll go well. I shave every other day and cleaned and wiped my blade off yesterday and stored it for next use.

And thank you! I didn’t know about Single Edge Sunday. Appreciate your help on all my questions.

Oh so far the Junior I have has been great! Second shave tomorrow with it. Hope it’ll go well. I shave every other day and cleaned and wiped my blade off yesterday and stored it for next use.

And thank you! I didn’t know about Single Edge Sunday. Appreciate your help on all my questions.
You are very welcome my friend. That is what B&B is for.

For travel I might suggest the G3 cased Army set, made in the war. 1942-3 I believe. It has a black hollow metal handle and was meant to be carried in the field. Same 1912 head. I think lighter. A tactical 1912 :001_smile

They are probably easy to find in the 'States, I am guessing.

You are very welcome my friend. That is what B&B is for.

For travel I might suggest the G3 cased Army set, made in the war. 1942-3 I believe. It has a black hollow metal handle and was meant to be carried in the field. Same 1912 head. I think lighter. A tactical 1912 :001_smile

They are probably easy to find in the 'States, I am guessing.
Can you tell me if this looks like the G3 kit to you?

AAA0D685-3D60-46F9-9767-06EADE970F8F.jpeg

9C58C206-84BC-4D14-ABFE-A2766A839980.jpeg

I think the question is, how do you clean the exterior under the hooded lather catcher? I have small skinny brush, about the size, shape, and dimension of a lead pencil or a rat tail file. The rest of the answer is soap and warm water.

No problem.

That is it.

A very nice example. It would make a very good travel GEM.
I found this kit and bought it right after I had gave up and just bought the G3 razor from someone else. Now I have two G3 razors. I’ve spent too much money lately (sigh). How does one clean the razor in the kit if it needs it? What if it has the green patches on it?
46E8D0A8-012B-4D76-92AF-D1FE43FD9A56.jpeg
if needed?

Top Bottom