What's new

Cleaning corrosion on Gold plate

I recently bought a gold Gillette Milord, and while it's very nice overall, there are some small bits of greenish corrosion, or at least I'm assuming it's corrosion. When I cleaned it using Scrubbing Bubbles like I usually do, the spots were still there. What's a good way to safely get rid of them?

I recently bought a gold Gillette Milord, and while it's very nice overall, there are some small bits of greenish corrosion, or at least I'm assuming it's corrosion. When I cleaned it using Scrubbing Bubbles like I usually do, the spots were still there. What's a good way to safely get rid of them?

You can't. Unless you want to polish off the green brass tarnish. The gold is already gone in those areas.

Len

Try a stiff toothbrush and some more scrubbing bubbles. It might not be corrosion. It may be some very stuborn mold. I had some on an aristocrat that I bought off of the bay. It came off and looked great.

JoshD

You can't. Unless you want to polish off the green brass tarnish. The gold is already gone in those areas.

Len

I agree once it gets to that stage damage has been done. But, the greenish color typically means that verdigris is forming, which can happen to copper and bronze, but I don't know about brass or steel - maybe. Perhaps there is some copper in the gold plated razor?? I don't know much about metal, sorry.

But, getting this stuff stopped can be important - there may be some missing plating, but the ongoing process that is occuring when you see the green may indicate active damaging is still going on. If the item is just metal, like a razor, it can be soaked in vinegar for up to 20 minutes which can help to stop the process. But, I find it tricky to get rid of in some cases.

I have a rhodium executive set with the verdigris forming on the outside of the case, along the edge of the silver/chromium/nickel? trim where it meets the faux leather of the case. The green nests in the crevice between the two materials and seems nasty. I am nervous to use any vinegar or other light acid because of the damage I will likely do to the case. I see though that the corrosion is continuing and I need to clean this up somehow. The razor and case (and minty foil covered spare blade cases!) are in excellent condition except for this one issue.

Soak the thing in CLR and scrub like crazy. It will only damage the Gold plating if the plating is too damaged to fix. And if it is, it still won't look bad. I've got a number of gold plated razors and have done the same to all of them without issue and very positive results.

I would approach this quite gently. Mild liquid dish squirted over razor and then placed in very hot water (not boiling). Let soak. Remove from water and spray with scrubbing bubbles. Let sit for 2-3 minutes (not in water bath, just the bubbles). Take tooth brush and gently scrub until the green lifts off. Repeat process 2 more times. No polish, no abrasives. See what happens. I've had success using this process with green corroded gold plate.

I would approach this quite gently. Mild liquid dish squirted over razor and then placed in very hot water (not boiling). Let soak. Remove from water and spray with scrubbing bubbles. Let sit for 2-3 minutes (not in water bath, just the bubbles). Take tooth brush and gently scrub until the green lifts off. Repeat process 2 more times. No polish, no abrasives. See what happens. I've had success using this process with green corroded gold plate.
This is the way to do it.....

Thanks for very nice advice..i tried and see that it works very well..
Greetings.

Top Bottom