What's new

Cleaning Brush Bristles

Ok...so the last couple of days the shaves were subpar and I was blaming the irritation on the new Euro Gillette Blade I was trying out. This morning while lathering up my QED Limes soap on my face something wierd was happening...the lather wasn't the luxurious consistency I was so used to. It was very dry. The brush just wasn't holding water like it should. I think that there is reminents of shaving balm on my hands when cleaning the brush after every shave and over time it seems maybe it has caused the brush to have a harder time holding water.

First, let me know if it sounds like my logic is sound...second, what do you guys recommend using to clean the bristles? I don't want to damage the brush.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Regards,

boboakalfb said:
Ok...so the last couple of days the shaves were subpar and I was blaming the irritation on the new Euro Gillette Blade I was trying out. This morning while lathering up my QED Limes soap on my face something wierd was happening...the lather wasn't the luxurious consistency I was so used to. It was very dry. The brush just wasn't holding water like it should. I think that there is reminents of shaving balm on my hands when cleaning the brush after every shave and over time it seems maybe it has caused the brush to have a harder time holding water.

First, let me know if it sounds like my logic is sound...second, what do you guys recommend using to clean the bristles? I don't want to damage the brush.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Regards,

Sounds logical to me. 20 mule team Borax. One tea spoon in a glass of warm water. Soak for an hour and rinse. That should do it.

Thanks Steve...I thought that I had read to use Borax but wanted to make sure before damaging the brush.

Much appreciated.

Try using the Nancy Boy laundry detergent, it has Borax in it and does a brilliant job of cleaning bristles. If you really want to pull out all the stops with this brush, after using the laundry detergent, wash the bristles witth the Nancy Boy Shampoo and finally add some NB Conditioner as well. It works miracles on any brush.

If you don't have Borax on hand, just use shampoo. I prefer the Borax, but working up a good lather and rinsing will also do a good job.

Randy

I don't have borax...but could probably pick some up locally here rather easily...but I do have Oxiclean...do you think that would work just as well?

Bob,
Remember it is badger HAIR. Try some shampoo followed by a thorough rinsing, a bit of conditioner and another thorough rinsing. Works wonders.

boboakalfb said:
Thanks for the replies...I will give it a shot with shampoo and conditioner and see how it works.
Bob, I work the shampoo thoroughly into a soaking wet brush and work it as though it were a cream I was whipping. Two iterations of the shampoo..:001_smile

I can imagine the look on my wifes face when she sees me shampooing and conditioning my brush...

Kind of funny...the other night she had left lights on all over so I asked her how our stock in Pacific Gas & Electric was doing...she replied with not as good as Mens shaving goods...touche!

boboakalfb said:
I don't have borax...but could probably pick some up locally here rather easily...but I do have Oxiclean...do you think that would work just as well?

DO NOT USE OXYCLEAN.

One of the members of this forum or SMF used it and I believe that he reported that the results were the creation of an ultra-flaccid brush.

slcsteve said:
DO NOT USE OXYCLEAN.

One of the members of this forum or SMF used it and I believe that he reported that the results were the creation of an ultra-flaccid brush.

Ok...I am going to go the shampoo twice and then condition once route and see how it goes...

Flacidity is never good...maybe if that guy soaks his brush in a dilution of 1 little blue pill and warm water then it would stiffen his brush a bit...

boboakalfb said:
I can imagine the look on my wifes face when she sees me shampooing and conditioning my brush...
If you think that's bad, wait until she catches you dressing it up in that sexy little sweater you bought for it!:biggrin:

Kyle said:
If you think that's bad, wait until she catches you dressing it up in that sexy little sweater you bought for it!:biggrin:

That's the funniest thing I've read on this forum :lol:

I shampooed and conditioned my brush tonight. It's old, so it didn't make it exactly like new again, BUT it did make it much softer. A big improvement! Thanks for this tip.

Hey thanks for the tips guys...I shampooed twice and it works like a charm...great lather this morning.

Regards,

boboakalfb said:

Wait till she sees the little blonde highlights...:biggrin:
Well Well, shaving brush styling ... Looks like we just invented a new trend.

birchhook said:
That's the funniest thing I've read on this forum :lol:

I shampooed and conditioned my brush tonight. It's old, so it didn't make it exactly like new again, BUT it did make it much softer. A big improvement! Thanks for this tip.
While I understand it did not make it new, if this were eBay, it would be "BETTER THAN NEW!":lol:

Top Bottom