What's new

Cleaning a vintage brush.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just give my used brushes a couple of washes in dish washing detergent, then I make a lather on a bar of medicated soap and rinse, then if I still feel that it needs it I give it a wash in hair conditioner. Most times I don’t need the hair conditioner.

I usually do a dish soap wash and rinse; soak the knot for 10 minutes in a solution of about one part clear vinegar to four of warm water, rinse again; wash again with dish soap and give an extra thorough final rinse. Several other vintage brush enthusiasts on B&B use a similar procedure, and it seems to work.

There’s a few methods you can use. I went with a combination of shampoo and conditioner, let it soak overnight and then gave it a good rinse. It was a boar brush and came out nice.

However, I’m intrigued with the use of vinegar stated in the previous post

Good answers above!! You cannot ‘sterilize’ a brush in the medical sense, but you can clean it well.

There’s a few methods you can use. I went with a combination of shampoo and conditioner, let it soak overnight and then gave it a good rinse. It was a boar brush and came out nice.

However, I’m intrigued with the use of vinegar stated in the previous post

Diluted vinegar is regularly used by many members to remove hard water build-up on brushes that were purchased new by them, but have been used for a period of time.

Top Bottom