What's new

Cleaning a tuckaway

I have done some basic cleaning on this razor with no luck. Not sure what the black marks are or how to get rid of them. Does it need cleaned with something else, polished, or replated maybe?
$uploadfromtaptalk1403234228604.jpg

It looks as though the plating is coming off from the pic, so based on that I'd say it's time to get it replated when you can...

Not sure what the black marks are or how to get rid of them.
Under the gold is brass, and brass isn't black. It's more likely crud in-between the lacquer and the gold plating. You might try polish on the black area. But if the black is under the lacquer.....

I've removed the black several times by removing the lacquer that was meant to protect the gold. If you intend to replate it anyway you might try using oven cleaner on the head to remove the lacquer. Then a very lite polishing. Just an idea.

Thanks for the tips, I would be willing to have it replated or use it after polishing it to the brass. It currently shaves just fine but doesn't look the nicest. Another question, does anyone know what model this is? From what I call tell after scouring mr razors website it is a new improved with tuckaway handle or a lady gillette from the 30's. I have some info to check when I get home if there is a serial number on it.

I was originally thinking it was a new standard head but there is no groove in the new standard plate and the tooth spacing seems different. It is almost identical to the new long comb but has a flat bottom instead of the ridge.

I used Bar Keeper's Friend on a NEW LC head of mine to strip it down to the base metal and then polished it with MAAS. It was a couple hours work but turned in to a bright shiny razor. I happen to like the bare look although I know that it's more work to keep it shiny.

Top Bottom