What's new

Cleaning a stone glued to a wooden box

Hi All,
I tacked this question onto one of the Ark threads, but perhaps better to ask as a new thread.
I know some Ark and Washita stones come glued into boxes.
1) How do you clean a whetstone that is glued into a wooden box? Or is the answer “you don’t, you remove it from the box!”
2) What is the best way to remove a whetstone that has been glued into a box? I have a LWW that is quite damaged on one side, which makes my suspect that it was glued to a box at one point.

Thanks!

Most are not glued but fitted to a box. Some are glued to a paddle.

Try tapping on one end of the box, even if glued the slight shock and years of oil or water will break the glue bond. Usually it is swarf and shrinking wood that hold a stone to a box.

If that does not work heat or water will help release the glue bond, a heat gun or hot water.

For removing glue from the stone heat and hot water will loosen most glues. If the stone is old, likely hide glue was used and is water soluble.

Most are not glued but fitted to a box. Some are glued to a paddle.

Try tapping on one end of the box, even if glued the slight shock and years of oil or water will break the glue bond. Usually it is swarf and shrinking wood that hold a stone to a box.

If that does not work heat or water will help release the glue bond, a heat gun or hot water.

For removing glue from the stone heat and hot water will loosen most glues. If the stone is old, likely hide glue was used and is water soluble.
Pike sold a cheaper version of most of their washitas glued in the box. They were cheaper because they were only finished on one side and then glued to a box. I've definitely got more fitted into boxes than glued but I've searched those out for the most part. The glued ones or one that were glued that got a nugget missing are all over the place(though increasingly more rare). All good stones, let me say that. I've yet to use an old washita that I didn't absolutly love. They are the most useful tools I own, even more so than most of the blades they sharpen.

Top Bottom