What's new

Cleaning a Schick Eversharp Injector - Bakelite

Any guidance on cleaning up a Schick bakelite injector? I picked up a few on E-bay and took some silver polish to the metal parts.

In the interests of hygiene, I decided to boil them after the cleaning.

On each, I noticed the Bakelite portion came out with a white residue. At first I thought it was old shaving cream that got baked on by the hot water :)eek:) , but now I'm not sure.

I've scrubbed them all down, but it's hard to get the shine back :001_huh:

Thanks! Awesome pix.

It's the post boiling residue I'm still wondering about. I thought the Bakelite was supposed to be hard as ceramic and wouldn't react to anything chemical

KUJO said:
Thanks! Awesome pix.

It's the post boiling residue I'm still wondering about. I thought the Bakelite was supposed to be hard as ceramic and wouldn't react to anything chemical

Kujo,

Pick up a tube of Maas. I get mine at Super Wal Mart stores, on the cleaning aisle. It's a gray tube in a gray box. Use that to lightly polish the handle. I use it on straight razor scales and it brings up a nice shine.

Randy

Brother KUJO,

I can't imagine boiling a razor. Respectfully, it seems sadistic. In any event it's unwise and unnecessary. I'm surprised the plastic/Bakelite handles are not ruined. Or are they?

How many minutes did you boil them?

Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom cleaner will safely kill any residual cooties your razor may have. For the E & G models, if you know the procedure, they can be safely opened and completely cleaned. I have yet to see either model that didn't have a stubborn brown film coating the interior of the razor that soaking (or boiling) won't remove.

An ultrasonic cleaner may work; Q-tips and Scrubbing Bubbles definitely do.

If it's not black or brown then it's not Bakelite. Maybe Catalin (often mistakenly called Bakelite) or some other plastic.
Whatever.
After a bit of light buffing with Turtle Wax polishing compound apply a bit of carnauba-based paste wax and polish it up. That would get rid of the cloudiness on the handle.
Works great on old radio cabinets and telephones too.

Top Bottom