What's new

Cleaning a razor

This has been the hardest thing to search for on the forums. I have gotten everything from "my new soap, a review" to "how to store my collection". This site's search function must be backed by google, it's as bad.

Back onto the topic. How do you all clean your razors? I will admit I have really only cleaned my razors a few times over the years, even using an automotive type cleaner my razors did not get fully clean. Even after using more safe cleaners to clean off the automotive type cleaner the razors still had scum and the like on them.
I just rinse thoroughly with hot water after each shave. Give it a good cleaning with each blade change which for me is after 4-10 shaves. Use baby wash (gentle and effective) and an dedicated razor cleaning only tooth brush to get it shining like new. Have been using this on my Weishi Long Handle that is basically chromed brass/zamac and razor is as good a new with no signs of any corrosion.

A water softener virtually eliminates the need to clean a razor. I am too lazy to clean mine after every use or even monthly. A simply wipe off with a soft cloth whenever I change the blade is enough for me; blade changes are usually bi-weekly.

Soft water is a blessing and a curse. We have one at our place in town but not out at the country place. I do not like the slippery feeling of soft water. For me, cleaning a razor after each use is not only part of the process, it's good tool maintenance. There's a reason that all my old Gillettes look as good as they do considering the newest is a 1964 SS and the oldest (aside from two BRG replates) is from the late 30's-early 40's.

lasta

Blade Biter
I rinse and wipe after every shave.

If there is notable soap scum build up between the teeth or in the creases, I'll give them an ultrasonic bath with a drop of dish detergent.

For brass razors, a quick polish every now and then.

Oh geez. Is that why nobody else was mentioning vinegar? Lol

That’s very good to know actually, thank you. Fortunately I haven’t been cleaning my razors very frequently. Will definitely move to a different method next time I do.
I learned this the hard way in a bathroom sink with a nickel plated drain finishing flange. I was trying to clean away calcium buildup at the drain and on the flange. Well, the vinegar did that as well as remove most of the plating on the flange. Lesson learned.

This has been the hardest thing to search for on the forums. I have gotten everything from "my new soap, a review" to "how to store my collection". This site's search function must be backed by google, it's as bad.

Back onto the topic. How do you all clean your razors? I will admit I have really only cleaned my razors a few times over the years, even using an automotive type cleaner my razors did not get fully clean. Even after using more safe cleaners to clean off the automotive type cleaner the razors still had scum and the like on them.
When I receive a new (to me), used razor I always soak them in hot water over night slathered in Dawn (ultra platinum) dish soap. I then use a "soft" toothbrush to get into all the little places and to rub off any surface grime that haven't fallen off. I do also use some metal dental picks to gently get off stuff that's stuck on more firmly or to get into very fine groves that still need cleaning. Once all done I polish the razors with a jewelers polishing cloth.

For general day to day cleaning after use I highly recommend Castile soap. It's a type of soap, not a name. Personally I recommend Dr. Bronner's brand. It works really well as a surfactant, which is truly what "soap" is meant to be. Soap was never originally meant to disinfect like modern so-called "soaps". It's purpose was to remove things from another surface, like our hands and in my suggestion, your razors. This is why most soaps will have the label "surfactant".

I really hope you stop using automotive parts wash on your razors. I used to work in that biz and know some formulas are very caustic and will very likely damage anything on a razor that is not metal. Like paint and/or some plastics.

What I do after use is rinse my razors off really well then pat them dry with a towel. Usually at this point rubbing then with the towel will do a great job of cleaning then off. Next though is the real winning tidbit here.... I pour rubbing alcohol over the blades edge. I do this both when I choose to leave a blade in my razor or when I choose to take it out.

I read a very interesting and detailed article about a man that did extensive testing and analysis on razor blade edges using powerful microscopes and found that the number one reason blade edges get damage is from the water that is left on them. I could go on and on but suffice it to say the long and short of it was that he got like 70+ shaves from one blade if he dried of the blade edge after each use.

Anyway, I really hope this helps you on your traditional wet shaving journey. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions as they arise.

Now shave on. 😉

I keep a small squirt bottle (old glue bottle, old contact lens cleaner bottle, etc.) with 91% rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol on my counter for this. After rinsing off the razor with hot tap water, I just loosen the head a 1/4 turn, give a shot to each side/top & bottom of blade, snug the handle back up, and wipe the head on a taut towel (reverse direction of shaving/towards the edge). Done.

I keep a small squirt bottle (old glue bottle, old contact lens cleaner bottle, etc.) with 91% rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol on my counter for this. After rinsing off the razor with hot tap water, I just loosen the head a 1/4 turn, give a shot to each side/top & bottom of blade, snug the handle back up, and wipe the head on a taut towel (reverse direction of shaving/towards the edge). Done.
So you close it up with wet alcohol on the top and bottom of the blade? What's the benefit of that vs. opening the razor, removing the blade, rinsing thoroughly and using a microfiber towel to dry inside and out and pat dry the blade?

I suppose it does take the "fun" out of having all those steps. But since you asked, I think the primary benefit is that it's quick and works -- though, I suppose many parts of our hobby are about over-engineering/over-ritualizing things...and that's OK. I'm a pipe smoker, so that's another similar hobby I enjoy complete with its own rituals. As to it's effectiveness, the alcohol displaces the water and dries quickly (esp. on a warmed razor). Never any rust or gunk on my blades as the quick reverse buff/wiping pass on the towel ensures the edge is fully dry & clean. I once just kept a small jar of alcohol under the sink and "swished" my razor in it before drying, but the squeeze bottle is a bit more precise & efficient.

I don't think what I do is "all those steps" nor do I consider it "fun". I think it's simply the best way to maintain razors and certainly the blade, which most manufacturers say to not wipe. Enjoy your routine. If it works for you, it works for you.

The only time my blade comes out is when it needs replacing. To be honest, I would have never guessed that others fully disassemble their razors after each shave if I didn't frequent "shaving forums" from time to time to read about such things. I can't recall ever seeing any of the older men in my family doing much more than a hot water rinse to "daily clean" their razors --- and blades were then only changed after they were deemed too dull. If my squirting a little alcohol on an (only) loosened head had ever caused me rust or other problems over the years, I'd have been doing things differently a long time ago. Heck, to me this is already an "extra step" from what I grew up watching. The idea to clean a fine-edged stainless blade with a little alcohol and air dried isn't a "new" one for precision bladed instruments (i.e., scalpels)...and some/many of us have been doing things like this from long before the internet gave us access to all the information we have to now sort through. Finally, it's my hunch that the "don't wipe your blades!" guidance we sometimes hear today is given in the interests of user safety (again, I never wipe along the edge or into it, but rather opposite of it). In the end, it's a steel blade -- and most often, a stainless one at that -- and these days, many of our razors are stainless steel, too. The OP seemed to want a collection of "how others do things" --- all I'm trying to provide is one more data point. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom