What's new

Cleaning a razor

This has been the hardest thing to search for on the forums. I have gotten everything from "my new soap, a review" to "how to store my collection". This site's search function must be backed by google, it's as bad.

Back onto the topic. How do you all clean your razors? I will admit I have really only cleaned my razors a few times over the years, even using an automotive type cleaner my razors did not get fully clean. Even after using more safe cleaners to clean off the automotive type cleaner the razors still had scum and the like on them.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't want to come across as snarky... that isn't my intention. I clean mine after every shave. They never get gunk build-up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that. My Dad was a mechanic and had a complete set of tools at home was well as at the shop. He drilled that into me from the time I was old enough to need tools to work on my bicycle... "You can use my tools, but I expect them to be cleaned and returned to their place in my rolling tool chest."

I don't know exactly what you mean by automotive cleaner. They vary a lot. Are you using an ultrasonic cleaner? I know those work pretty well. People who buy Vintage razors often use them to clean up their purchases. I'm not sure what solvent would work best. You don't want to damage your razors. Some materials aren't a concern but some are.

Dawn and a lot of elbow grease... with a toothbrush is supposed to work as well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do a quick wipe down with a cloth after each use and a going over with dish soap and an old toothbrush at blade change time. All my DE and SE razors look at least as good as when I got them.
I didn’t mean to imply the way I do it is the only correct way. I stated where I got the habit. Keeping a razor clean isn’t a daunting task. There are lots of ways/routines to get there as you just noted.

Edit: Now, if you were to ask my Dad, he would be much more black and white about it. Father knows best was his creed. There was only one way with him. Still, he was a great stepdad: the only Dad I ever had.

For my 2 and 3 piece razors, I remove blade, wipe each piece with cloth and soft tissue and leave on washcloth to dry.
For my twist to open razors, I rinse, open the doors and dry with soft tissue, and leave on washcloth to dry.
I rinse and place the blade in a blade dryer I purchased on Etsy.
Unfortunately over time, some dried on soap stays in the grooves and hard to wipe areas such as the inside corners on the bottom plate of the 3 piece razor head.
Every few weeks, I use a dental proxabrush to clean those areas. If you have not used one of these on a razor, you will be amazed. I use them dry, not wet, to remove any dried on scum. I typically purchase them at the dollar store, and are 4 or 5 in a package for $1.25. Each one lasts for months. They are called Plackers at the dollar store. The drug stores have the ones made by GUM, and they work well too. I use the GUM brand on my teeth.

Here are some of the previous discussions that a quick search turns up.

Weekly blade change and cleaning at the same time
I use toothpaste (not gel, but regular white toothpaste) and toothbrush, cleans all of it very well, then I dry it
Also I use cotton bud to dry insite of the handle thread
After that, I insert new blade and that's it

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm a lazy obsessive. :)

After every shave, the razor is disassembled and the blade removed and washed. I rinse off the razor parts with hot water, then look to see how much more wants doing. A bit of detergent and a gentle cloth scrub if needed, or perhaps a Q-tip to dig the crud out. Then it's all spread out to dry for next day (or to be put away later).

So what's the obessive part? I also disassemble two-piece razors, removing the screw from the handle and rinsing both out well. I have the habit of removing those little retainer rings; they're not needed. My Fasan never had one, the "Super Slant" one crystallized and broke into several pieces, and I've simply taken it out of my other 2-piece razors.

O.H.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have thought about cleaning my razors I attempted it a few times but I give up easy on things like this. When I noticed I really did not make a difference in how clean the razor looked I stopped. Now armed with the knowledge I read here and the forums posts that were posted I am going to give cleaning my razors a good go this time.

When I finish the day's shave, I rinse the razor with hot water from the teapot. Every few days, I ask the LOTH if she would put my idle razors in the dishwasher's utensil basket.

When I finish the day's shave, I rinse the razor with hot water from the teapot. Every few days, I ask the LOTH if she would put my idle razors in the dishwasher's utensil basket.
I think dishwashers are a bad idea especially if you have hard water or use strong soaps but if it works for you, it works for you.

I remember when I "overcleaned" my MMOC (actually don't know what I did) and it developed this blue hue. lol

mmoc3.jpg

Top Bottom