What's new

Cleaning a Razor with Boiling Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaning a razor with boiling water and automatic dishwasher detergent is the easiest method I found and it requires no abrasive or brush to remove the soap scum. I have only tried it on my razor which is all metal. It might not be advisable to use this method on other materials.
Razor_Before.jpg

The first picture shows the razor before cleaning. You can see the buildup of soap scum. I have a knurled handle and the soap scum accumulates in the ridges where it is hard to remove with mechanical methods.
Razor_During.jpg

Put the disassembled razor in a small pot with one teaspoon of automatic dishwasher detergent and cover with water. Bring it to a rolling boil. The soap scum will come off the razor by itself. In the picture you can see some floating flakes of soap scum on the right-hand side at the lower side of the handle.
Razor_After.jpg

Take the razor out and wipe it dry. Any remaining dirt on the razor wipes off. The high temperature will also help to remove the wax that the blades have left in the razor and will sterilize the razor.

Some comments: Washing soda works equally well, add 5% TSP if you want the best cleaner. The razor is a head from Gillette New Long Comb with a Mühle handle.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have no issue pouring boiling water into a container holding a razor.
I strongly suggest our members do NOT put a razor in a pot and boil it.
The temperatures at the bottom of a boiling pot far exceed the 100C/212F temperature of boiling water.
We have absolute evidence here that individuals have damaged their equipment doing so.
There are many, many ways to clean a razor that do not resort to such an aggressive and potentially damaging methodology.
Because there was no damage in some cases does not mean there will not be damage in every case.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just a couple examples of less than happy results from boiling a razor.
There are literally dozens and dozens more.

I have no issue pouring boiling water into a container holding a razor.
I strongly suggest our members do NOT put a razor in a pot and boil it.
The temperatures at the bottom of a boiling pot far exceed the 100C/212F temperature of boiling water.
We have absolute evidence here that individuals have damaged their equipment doing so.
There are many, many ways to clean a razor that do not resort to such an aggressive and potentially damaging methodology.
Because there was no damage in some cases does not mean there will not be damage in every case.
Very good point. Next time I clean the razor I will boiling the water first, turn the heat off and then add the razor.

On real nasty dirty razors I use EZ-Off oven cleaner, (wear gloves) spray on and let it sit five minutes then scrub it with a tooth brush and rinse it off in hot water. Repeat the process if needed, Then end with a short soaking in dawn dish soap and hot water. I usually get the water almost to a boil then pull it off the heat and then add the dish soap then the razor.

They turn out squeaky clean. Just did this technique on a Fatboy that appeared to never have been cleaned at all during its lifetime.

I use this same technique on antique kerosene lamps. Most are nickel plated and some have brass plating on the hardware or are full brass. Never had an issue using ez-off to clean them.

8D9712C2-D39C-4EBF-848C-BBF12A6286D7.jpeg

5E324105-588B-48AE-8665-D459CB5336A4.jpeg

29AA5919-D78C-4723-AEDC-BD4CEDBABA89.jpeg

D09B866B-5EF1-4809-84E2-1415B6D131AF.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Roland,

Ultrasonic cleaners can be had for very cheap nowadays. Warm tap water, a squirt of dish detergent, and a 2 minute bath will clean just about everything in between the teeth.

Works great for glasses too, so not just for razors.

I would suggest you not use automatic dishwasher detergent for cleaning razors. It is a very powerful oxidixer. It will make a mess of aluminum, brass, and bronze. While chrome plating won't be affected, if there are any pits in the plating, the ZAMAC or brass underneath will be. Stainless steel razors should be OK as long as they are 304 stainless or better.

Here's the proc I use for any and all new razors I acquire.

1) This is not so much for cleaning, but rather disinfection. I give any razor a good 10 minute in boiling water for any razor that doesn't come out of a factory sealed package. Contrary to what you may read elsewhere, boiling water should do nothing to electroplating or any metal features of an old razor**. Plastic, on the other hand, would likely not survive a boil, and should be disinfected by a cold disinfectant like isopropyl alcohol.

2) After the razor cools enough to be handled, I give it a thorough scrubbing using an old head on my electric toothbrush and toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste. After all, this provides a very gently abrasive cleaning, and does wonders to transform a grungy old razor into a shiny one.

3) After the toothpaste scrubbing, then I put dish detergent on the electric razor head + scrub again.

After these three steps, your old razor should look remarkably like a new one, despite its age. After all, given the construction of a lot of these old razors, they're virtually bomb-proof- they just need a good scrubbing.

-Z

** The exception to the "boiling water won't hurt metal" rule would be a razor made of gallium. Of course, a gallium razor would be a spectacularly horrid idea.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's the proc I use for any and all new razors I acquire.

1) This is not so much for cleaning, but rather disinfection. I give any razor a good 10 minute in boiling water for any razor that doesn't come out of a factory sealed package. Contrary to what you may read elsewhere, boiling water should do nothing to electroplating or any metal features of an old razor**. Plastic, on the other hand, would likely not survive a boil, and should be disinfected by a cold disinfectant like isopropyl alcohol.

2) After the razor cools enough to be handled, I give it a thorough scrubbing using an old head on my electric toothbrush and toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste. After all, this provides a very gently abrasive cleaning, and does wonders to transform a grungy old razor into a shiny one.

3) After the toothpaste scrubbing, then I put dish detergent on the electric razor head + scrub again.

After these three steps, your old razor should look remarkably like a new one, despite its age. After all, given the construction of a lot of these old razors, they're virtually bomb-proof- they just need a good scrubbing.

-Z

** The exception to the "boiling water won't hurt metal" rule would be a razor made of gallium. Of course, a gallium razor would be a spectacularly horrid idea.

There, of course, being a distinct difference between "pouring boiling water on a razor" and "boiling a razor in water"

There, of course, being a distinct difference between "pouring boiling water on a razor" and "boiling a razor in water"

Of course. But, chemically, boiling a metal razor for 10 minutes will not react chemically. And, if it you suspect that the finish, or some other part of the razor, is so fragile as to make you think that a boil wouldcause damage it, might I suggest that you shouldn't be using this particular razor in the first place?

As for the 10 minute time, I use that particular time, rather than something shorter, upon a recommendation from my wife, a biologist by training, who says that such a boil would kill any and all bacteria present on the razor.

Of course, a home autoclave would do even better.

1671034989839.png

-Z

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, and of course are free to do with their equipment what they wish, from displaying it, to destroying it.
Believing something, and espousing it here are two different things.
For every individual who tells you there's no harm in boiling a razor, we can pull up a half a dozen threads where doing so did in fact cause problems.
So, if you think boiling your razor is a good idea... have at it. It's your stuff to do with as you will.
Recommending others do it, or that there's no harm in doing so is a disservice to other new members here who look for collective wisdom.

That means essentially that it's not a good idea to come here and recommend that others do it when the overwhelming evidence is to the contrary, AND where numerous alternative methods have been proven to work as effectively or better without running such a risk.
It's no different than fear mongering about cooties on a razor and some imagined need to "sterilize" it. If you feel the need, have at it. Don't tell folks that they have to.

People look for advice here. We have an obligation as a platform where advice is given to stop recommendations for things that have been proven to cause problems.
Simple enough. If folks can't abide by that simple thought process, we can help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom