What's new

cleaning a leather wallet?

My wife's nice leather wallet unfortunately ended up in a bad near a leaky tube of sunscreen. Without really considering what I was doing, I wiped it off with a wet paper towel and just have it sitting on the counter to dry. I hope I didn't do something to ruin the leather; I guess I'll have to wait until it dries and see how it looks. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do next, if anything?

Thanks.

Simple green and a power washer:wink: In all seriousness though your best bet would be something like saddlesoap or a leather cleaner and conditioner. Sunscreen though shouldn't be that bad for leather.

They tend to make wallets out of pretty tough leather. Lord knows most guys' wallets are exposed to sweat, heat, and pressure on a regular basis and the good ones last for years. Some sunscreen and a wet paper towel shouldn't do anything to it. But as mentioned: saddle soap is your best bet for cleaning just about any kind of leather.

My wife's nice leather wallet unfortunately ended up in a bad near a leaky tube of sunscreen. Without really considering what I was doing, I wiped it off with a wet paper towel and just have it sitting on the counter to dry. I hope I didn't do something to ruin the leather; I guess I'll have to wait until it dries and see how it looks. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do next, if anything?

Thanks.

You could really go for brownie points and get the wife a new one :001_smile

I agree with those that suggest a good quality saddle soap and a quality leather conditioner. In my experience, a uniform treatment of these products should rescue the leather. It will also help protect it and extend its life.

Cheers,

Doug

Top Bottom