What's new

Cleaning a Gold Colored Razor.

I want to clean up my NEW a bit but I understand the gold wash is pretty thin. I was thinking of using hot water and dish soap with a toothbrush then a little Maas polish. Would this cause any damage?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I want to clean up my NEW a bit but I understand the gold wash is pretty thin. I was thinking of using hot water and dish soap with a toothbrush then a little Maas polish. Would this cause any damage?

I personally wouldn't polish it. The Gold is ultra thin. I think once you wash it, it will shine.

Kindly,
Adam

I have used a small bit of toothpaste with a toothbrush on a gold razor and it seemed fine. I've read about others who do the same. However, if you are worried, stick to the dish soap and a gentle scrub. Or, if it is an heirloom think about a replate. Best of luck :)

I'm reading that Windex brings out the shine...Is that ok to use?

I'm reading that Windex brings out the shine...Is that ok to use?

I personally wouldn't use anything with ammonia in it (or bleach). I like scrubbing bubbles (again the no bleach type) after hot water and Dawn soap. Be very light with scrubbing and any abrasives. Remember the only way to find out is too much is when it is too late.

Dishwashing liquid (i.e. Dawn), warm water and a soft microfiber towel with a short nap. You should also be able to wet the towel and gently fit it between the teeth where'd you'd use back-and-forth motions to clean-up those hard to reach area's. If you must use a brush to scrub between the teeth, I'd recommend giving it a very gentle scrub using a boar bristle nail brush (beauty stores and pharmacies should stock it).

Gold doesn't tarnish so it should be fairly easy to get to shine. Some (if not all) have a lacquer which may fade or peel which is the issue I have with my Aristocrat. Polishing is a bad idea, it can remove the gold. Ask me how I know :)

An awful lot of Gold 3 piece and single ring "Gold" Gillette razors offered on ebay have the top cap colored red due to wear and over polishing having removed the gold from the copper plating under it. Many are examples of over polishing by ignorant sellers who were trying to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse.

Some of the gold plating was so thin that it provided minimal protection even originally. I have a "Gold" Gem Micromatic that even though unused had the metal darken badly in 80 years of storage in unknown conditions. In contrast a NOS last model gold Valet Autostrop looks brand new so Gold plating quality seems to have varied a lot from maker to maker and for different grade razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
....over polishing having removed the gold from the copper plating under it.

There's no copper plating, the top cap has a brass alloy with a higher percentage of copper, hence the different color when the over-zealous polisher gets down to the base metal.

Thanks for the correction Nemo. Does that vary by manufacturer or plating type? I have a CV Heljestrand razor that shows copper color under the original nickel plating where worn.

My Canadian News have lacquer on them which doesn't much like the high heat of a dishwasher (it gets hard and flakes off). I'd say, just warm water and dishwashing liquid should be fine.

Top Bottom