What's new

Clean up your dog poop!

So there's this woman, lives down the block from us, she walks her little dog every morning. I work from home, my office is in the front of the house on the first floor. Most of the time my blinds are open and I see anything and everything. I've watched this woman let her dog crap in my neighbor's yard at least four times ... and I've found a similar pile in my yard once. Today, by chance, I saw her walking up the block so I sat and watched. Sure enough, they cross the street, get to my neighbor's yard and the dog drops a deuce. So I walk out to the front porch and said, "You know, you're supposed to clean up after your dog."

And her reply was, "I know, but I don't have a bag, so what do you want me to do?

I said, "I've watched your dog take a crap at least four times in my neighbor's yard, and I've found one pile in my own, I'd like you to go get a bag and come back and clean up after your dog."

After which she put her headphones back in and started to walk away.

So ... I said, that's fine, I'm going to file a complaint with the police, and she said, that's fine, so I did.
proxy.php
:)

PD was here just a few minutes ago (perk to living in a small town ... they have little else to do), and I knew where she lived (she's literally one of maybe two black women in town, and I've seen her sitting outside her house down the street, so I was kind enough to let the officer know where she lived).

Look, I know it's not a big deal, but it's ridiculous behavior from an adult. And I don't want to step in it while I'm cutting the grass, and my neighbor, who is volunteer EMS/fire, isn't home during the day to see it. We have dogs ... when we walk them, we carry several bags and clean up after our dogs when they crap.

Just be a responsible human being ... is that so hard?

Sad thing is, it probably won't change her behavior ... she'll just walk that mutt somewhere else.

Actually, it is a big deal. If people aren't responsible with the small things, they won't be responsible with more important matters. When I take my two labs for a walk, I bring a couple of bags. It isn't just being respectful of others, it's part of the town ordinances.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes, that is very hard to be a responsible human being. I lived in a townhouse once a couple years ago and the neighbor would let her dog out and it would go in the flowerbeds in front of my window. One day I put it in a bag and knocked on her door and kindly asked her to pick up after her dog and handed her the bag of doo doo.

Another reason why I prefer farm animals.

That's just it ... we have dogs, when we take them on walks we pack SEVERAL bags, just in case. She lives a block away, go get a bag, come back. It's really simple. Though based on her response, I have a feeling if I had brought her a bag myself she'd still refuse to do it

What's really annoying is ... all the time you hear people say, don't call the police (or another third party) ... just talk to me directly about it. So then you do that ... and they basically force your hand to report them.

My neighbor cured his neighbor of his dog negligence. He asked him nicely twice; the third time he put it on his car (no bag). His neighbor stopped.

What's really annoying is ... all the time you hear people say, don't call the police (or another third party) ... just talk to me directly about it. So then you do that ... and they basically force your hand to report them.
At least you gave her the opportunity to make it right. Personally, I think that was the right thing to do.

This drives me nuts as well. I live in a nice quiet neighborhood, and my street is a particularly scenic and quiet cul-de-sac with well-kept houses/properties. We get a lot of dog walkers in the area, and there are several that don't pick up after their dogs. I just don't get it.
I have 3 dogs, and my wife and I love walking them around. We would never walk out the door without bags. Yes, it's gross picking up dog poop. But it's even grosser stepping in a pile out in your yard because some thoughtless person couldn't be bothered to be a good neighbor. And at the end of the day, not picking up after your dog is showing that you're not a good neighbor.

My neighbor cured his neighbor of his dog negligence. He asked him nicely twice; the third time he put it on his car (no bag). His neighbor stopped.

I thought about it ... knowing where she lives ... but figured I'd give her the chance and be a little less passive aggressive myself

A gentleman cleans up his dog's poop, even when no one is looking! :)

I feel you. A chronic problem as far as I can tell. I have dosed my yard heavily with dog repellant. That helped.

Get an alpaca, that way you have all the benefits of a horse, but there's the additional opportunity for nice sweaters.

I would have given her a bag.

Funny how nobody can be polite these days. Like everyone has to be gangster about everything. I've confront several people about things like parking illegally, dumping trash outside of bins, etc and their response is never "oh. Sorry." Or "my bad". It's always giving attitude like I'm the a-hole for asking them to be civilized.

I get mystery dog poop in my yard every now and then and I'm trying to catch the culprit. Not even in my front yard. I'm talking in my backyard in the same exact spot everytime (I have no fencing in front).

I would have given her a bag.

Funny how nobody can be polite these days. Like everyone has to be gangster about everything. I've confront several people about things like parking illegally, dumping trash outside of bins, etc and their response is never "oh. Sorry." Or "my bad". It's always giving attitude like I'm the a-hole for asking them to be civilized.

I get mystery dog poop in my yard every now and then and I'm trying to catch the culprit. Not even in my front yard. I'm talking in my backyard in the same exact spot everytime (I have no fencing in front).

That's kind of what pushed me over the edge on it ... I saw it happen, and I led it slide, one, because it wasn't my yard, and two, we all could forget a bag or something ... but then I saw her do it again ... found one pile in my yard and then watched her do it again today.

My house isn't outrageously expensive, but we've worked our tails off the get it in better shape after it sat vacant all last year. I want it to look nice, and that extends to keeping dog crap off my yard.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
People need to be held responsible for their actions.

It starts with not picking up dog poop, then it progresses to throwing trash out their windows while driving, then not mowing their yards. Next thing you know you live in the slums. People in general are just really inconsiderate these days. We live in a me myself and I society.

A long time ago when I lived in the city I went to leave the house and the neighbor that lived across the street was parked in my driveway sitting in his car. Why? I have no idea. Didn't care why. He's my neighbor, I know him somewhat, if you want to sit in my driveway while I'm not using it whatever. But I was leaving, so I said "Hey man, I'm bout to leave can you move your car.". You know what he had the gall to say? "yeah, in a minute". I stopped mid stride and stared like I couldn't believe what I just heard. You're parked in MY driveway and you're going to tell me you'll move your car in a minute? At your convenience? Oh hell no! He must have felt the death rays burning his skull and thought I was the Terminator when I said "No, you'll do it NOW". So he put it in gear and drove across the street right in to his own driveway. Why wasn't he sitting there to begin with??!

At least you gave her the opportunity to make it right. Personally, I think that was the right thing to do.

I agree. I find it hard to understand what is so hard about grabbing a plastic bag before you take your dog out??

I agree. I find it hard to understand what is so hard about grabbing a plastic bag before you take your dog out??

I second that. When you take Muttley out for a walk, it's a given that some sort of business will be on the agenda. You need to be prepared.

DON'T TAKE ONLY ONE BAG! I learned this the hard way. Bruce held a board of directors meeting not once, not twice, but three times during his walk on one occasion.

Where I live it's a county health ordnance that all pet waste be cleaned up. I do it not only because it's the law, but because I don't want a mess in my yard. Occasionally there's one that can only be found by traditional means. Either the lawn mower or Universal Size 11 Dog Log Detector.

Being a decent fellow, having a friendly talk with the offending neighbor would be my preferred style; however, the unfortunate truth is that your friendly conversation will be ignored. When you're finally forced to call the county, the offending party doesn't need to be The Amazing Kreskin to make an educated guess as to who reported their offending behavior.

Local PD is only one of many options for resolution. County code enforcement can be more tenacious. They're bored bureaucrats with a modicum of power, use your imagination.

One of the neighbors lets his dog pee on my mailbox post when they do their morning walk. It chaps my behind, but, for me, its really not a fight worth picking. I make do with daydreams involving replacing the plastic mailbox post with a bare and bright metal one that's insulated from the ground. Then a fence charger would be hooked up and the sidewalk wetted with some extra salty salt water to give it a really good ground potential. Bet that's the last mailbox that little so and so would pee on!

The Dude can only abide so much and for so long.

Top Bottom