What's new

Clean shaven sopranos

Does anyone know why everyone was clean shaven in the sopranos and is this true reflection of mafia modern day?

Sir Ice, the Sopranos was set in the 1980's or 1990's, so that was before the current grunge shave style.

WRT current mafia style modern day, I really cannot speak!!

Good observation. I never noticed it.

proxy.php

I have recently been re-watching and paying close attention to the shaves. All very professionally shaven! I wonder if the actors shaved themselves or someone else did? Tony and Big ** both had very dense growth.

It’s a “rule” in the mafia. No facial hair.
I've read that the "no facial hair rule" originated when second-generation American mafiosi (the "Young Turks" born in the US) wanted to break away from the older Italian-born mafiosi (the "Mustache Petes" who always wore big bushy mustaches; see Giuseppe Morello, for example). The obvious way to distinguish themselves was to always go clean-shaven. In the end, most of the Mustache Petes were assassinated in the 1920s and 1930s by the Young Turks to make it official.

Watch Donnie Brasco.
This is a great example. When Lefty coaches Donnie on how to be a good mafioso, the first things he mentions are to get rid of his mustache and to stop dressing so sloppy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Are you trying to punk us?
It is just that when I lived in the city here in Australia, when you asked about the Mafia to any Italians that I knew you were met with a wall of silence. They never discussed it and they would not confirm it or deny it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A young employee of a firm still run by An old school boss told me last week that shaving and no side burns is office policy. and its not the Yankees. Ha ha there may be hope

Top Bottom