What's new

Clean shave disappearing beard taking over

As a mechanical engineer in the Seattle area, I see one extreme to the other. I shave my head by choice, not for lack of hair, and have worn the same large goatee for the last 27 years. I'll wear a suit and tie, when necessary, to increase my level of visual professionalism with certain new clients and to cover a large amount of visible ink. Most days I'm in shorts, a t-shirt, and, according to my lovely wife, look like I've just strolled out of San Quentin, depending on my facial expression. I even made an informal request regarding their opinion on me getting my throat done (3 inch Roman numerals for my daughter's birth date). All I was asked was how much time off I'd need and how bad it'd hurt. Different strokes for different folks, but not exactly the norm in much of the country.

I’m a clean shave advocate. I think that being clean shaved makes one stand out in a unique way these days I happen to live in Oregon where beards are everywhere. Too much scruff I say! I like looking different.
I want to add that I shave with a de razor mainly coz it’s fun. Much more interesting than using high priced plasticky cartridges. Our hobby here is special. I’m happy to be part of this online forum.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a mechanical engineer in the Seattle area, I see one extreme to the other. I shave my head by choice, not for lack of hair, and have worn the same large goatee for the last 27 years. I'll wear a suit and tie, when necessary, to increase my level of visual professionalism with certain new clients and to cover a large amount of visible ink. Most days I'm in shorts, a t-shirt, and, according to my lovely wife, look like I've just strolled out of San Quentin, depending on my facial expression. I even made an informal request regarding their opinion on me getting my throat done (3 inch Roman numerals for my daughter's birth date). All I was asked was how much time off I'd need and how bad it'd hurt. Different strokes for different folks, but not exactly the norm in much of the country.
"I wanna party with that dude!"

You sir are my new hero. A wild engineer, cool.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
:thumbup1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
When I got hired for my job, I was hired by a retired career military man. He was a master sergeant and in artillery. He had two bronze stars from Vietnam and the first Gulf War. He was also a very loud boisterous Puerto Rican with savoir-faire. His hair was as long as mine. When he retired I took over his job. The hiring process has changed. I now sit on a hiring panel. Each of us take turns reading from a list of questions. Then we write down a quick synopsis of the response and grade each on a number scale. What we look for is experience, capability, and the ability to think and prioritize. We discuss the interview as a panel when the candidate has left. They changed it to this model because of people being hired on appearances who end up being nothing more than an appearance.

It's subjective. Personally, I feel clean-shaven looks more professional. I work in the headquarters of one of the biggest banks in America. As such, I shave daily. Except in November where I grow a neatly maintained beard as part of No Shave November (and I raise funds for cancer research while doing this). If/When I no longer work in this HQ, I may relax my grooming standards some.

I think beards come and go. Being clean shaved has stuck around for awhile now. In fact, stubble seems to becoming more popular than having a big beard. I admit that I have had a beard since 2015, but now I've been keeping it really short and at stubble length. I'd say 2016 was the longest my beard was. Women don't seem to care either way. I grow it for myself and have been told that either look suits me.

I'm just too lazy to shave. Think what you want about me, but this look works for me. I think I like having a beard because I'm appreciating the fact that I can grow one. Some people don't look that good with a beard and it's either super patchy or they have a neck beard. Oh well, that's their business and not mine.

I'm an everyday shaver and like being clean shaving - makes me feel good.
If someone wants to sport a beard no matter how long it short so be it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Actually the trend in younger men ( late teens early 20’s ) is a clean shave or stubble believe it or not.

I appreciate and respect the hardcore beard people. I cannot stand the hipsters with the ribbons and bows. I can’t grow a beard so I shave it all off, I’m half gray anyway, helps me feel and look younger.

The "beard craze" is just a fad like the mustaches in the 1970's the mullet in the 80's, the pony tail in the 90's and the man bun of the 2000's. Ten years from now when we look back at the pics of those guys with the long hipster beards we are going to say "what were they thinking". I say that when I see a mullet. :)

I shave almost every day and have since I started shaving. I don't really care what anyone else does, it's my face and I like it clean.

I've had a beard since I got out of the military in 2016. The length varies depending on how I feel. I've only been cleans shaved a handful of times in the past few years. I hated shaving everyday and even though my shaves greatly improved with a DE, brush, soap or cream; I still didn't care too much for shaving. As soon as I could go without shaving, I did.

I keep going back and forth between both. Iv been told beard looks better however I feel clean shave is more professional
I feel the world has gone beard crazy and clean shave is disappearing from society.

What do people think?

Beards should be groomed, a line up requires shaving though you may want to just have a barber do that with haircut and neckshave.

Variety for me works best. I go from clean shaven to mustache, goatee and short beard through the year. But even when I do sport facial hair, I make sure it’s well groomed.

Due to work, I could only at max have stubble 2-3d for 20yrs (except for some weeks or months...). Now I can do what ever I want.... had 16m beard...took it off and regrowing....might go for stubble next (just got a Norelco Oneblade for that)

Top Bottom