What's new

Claymore V1 - what SE comes close to it

For the last week I had the opportunity to shave with the Claymore V1 razor loaded with Feather Professional blades... and it was very close to perfection. No nics, no cuts, no irritation and BBS in 2 1/2 passes.

Unfortunately the razor was just borrowed and I had to send it back to its owner.

Can someone make a recommendation what currently available SE razor comes close to the Claymore V1? Or can someone compare the Claymore V1 to a currently available SE razor?

I actually have a Claymore V1 and very fine it is too. Built like a tank and none the worse for that.

In terms of shaving experience I would be hard pressed to distinguish between it and the Colonial General Stainless Steel. The dimensions are quite different though. The Claymore weighs 143 grams with a 95 mm handle. The General weighs 120 grams with an 85 mm handle. Also the Claymore head is slightly more bulky. I terms of weight and bulk the Mongoose is very close but the shaving experience is slightly different.

The General is very highly regarded and I have not yet seen any criticism reported. In case you are inclined to buy a General it would be useful to wait a week or so, the indications are that a revised version is being prepped by Colonial and an announcement may be forthcoming shortly.

I do have other SE razors and trying to distinguish one from another is not an easy task for me and in a way I could just as easily have cited the Mongoose, ATT SE1, Razorock SS Hawk. All of these razors are marvellous.

Not sure if that has muddied the waters or helped.

I've a V2 with the covered ends. Superbly close shave. It doesnt get much use and I'm in two minds what to do.

The general is an alternative. But the heavier brass version won't be available in the V2, just received the information from Kyle. Maybe I'm looking for a second hand brass version or waiting for a SS V2.

The ATT SE1/2 are also interesting razors with very good reputation.

Thanks to @StuMcB a Claymore V2 is on the way to me!! Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to convince the V1 owner to sell me his V1 anyway... better having two Claymore, than one :badger:

Thanks to @StuMcB a Claymore V2 is on the way to me!! Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to convince the V1 owner to sell me his V1 anyway... better having two Claymore, than one :badger:

Congrats on the V2. Light touch, steady hand and it will give you an excellent shave. As good as anything else out there. Yup, it's a brute and uglier than Sin itself. But, the results can be glorious......

The tested Claymore V1 will stay with his actual owner :a48:

So I have more space for other SE razors in the shave den :a14:

I actually have a Claymore V1 and very fine it is too. Built like a tank and none the worse for that.

In terms of shaving experience I would be hard pressed to distinguish between it and the Colonial General Stainless Steel. The dimensions are quite different though. The Claymore weighs 143 grams with a 95 mm handle. The General weighs 120 grams with an 85 mm handle. Also the Claymore head is slightly more bulky. I terms of weight and bulk the Mongoose is very close but the shaving experience is slightly different.

The General is very highly regarded and I have not yet seen any criticism reported. In case you are inclined to buy a General it would be useful to wait a week or so, the indications are that a revised version is being prepped by Colonial and an announcement may be forthcoming shortly.

I do have other SE razors and trying to distinguish one from another is not an easy task for me and in a way I could just as easily have cited the Mongoose, ATT SE1, Razorock SS Hawk. All of these razors are marvellous.

Not sure if that has muddied the waters or helped.
I want to try a hawk or one of the other artist club bladed razors badly. Are they really that good?

Top Bottom