What's new

Classic typewriter fans?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
We have a pre-War full-size Underwood here that I used to use in school way back when Woolworths sold the ribbons for it. Some enclosed chassis version of the No. 5 with crinkle coat finish. Big and blue, and heavy, with the glass covered key caps. The copyrights on the tab scales go back to the early 1920s.

All I remember most is that your fingers got a workout on it if it was more than a page. And a nice bell chime.

It was improperly stored by someone, and now needs a very thorough cleaning and oiling. My son says he wants it, so we leave it sit. Which I guess is a good thing, because it must weigh about 30 pounds.

Just saw this thread. I personally have no real opinion, though we did gift my oldest daughter one last year. She loves it, and as an aspiring author, she pecks away at the thing fairly frequently. The coolest thing I found from it is that the company we bought it from (refurbished) received a typewriter from Tom Hanks. He sent a letter along with it as well that they shared.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I loved them once corrasable bond hit the scene, but I have not had one around for a very longtime. If a fit of sentimentality took hold of me and I bought one, it would just take up space and need dusting. Although I admit that the printer always working is enticing.

I loved them once corrasable bond hit the scene, but I have not had one around for a very longtime. If a fit of sentimentality took hold of me and I bought one, it would just take up space and need dusting. Although I admit that the printer always working is enticing.
Yeah, I lived by Corrasable Bond in high school and college since I made so many mistakes. When I looked at one of my reports recently I saw that the text had faded pretty badly

When I was younger, I was an aficionado of typewriters. Looking back, I have the impression that, at graduate school, we spent more time discussing the merits of the different brands than on doing research. You needed a good typewriter to do a thesis. In 1972, I decided on a Hermes 3000, which I sadly lost. I'd used the last of my scholarship money to buy it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
Wish I 'hung-on' to my fathers typewriter (him being a lawyer...don't recall the make & model). :confused:

I fondly remember hearing my Dad 'banging away' at night in the office at home with such speed...using only 2 fingers (wow!!).

I, on the other hand...having failed High School typing miserably...can only manage to 'peck-away'...as we speak.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"I love [using a classic] typewriter - the rhythm, the sound [ding], [the inspiration]; it's like playing the piano...". David Mamet

Last edited:
Top Bottom