What's new

Classic Razor Plating Quality?

Who has the best plating quality on classic razors? My experience with about 10 each CV Heljestrand and Henckels Rapide/Wotan razors is that at least for nickel or chromium plating it is hard to beat the CVH and Henckels razors. My CVH Gold plated razor is excellent but my Gold Henckels show wear. Gold plated Gillette razors are quite thinly plated and gold Gems show corrosion way too easily. Per a listing I found on Etsy the seller claimed that ASR used 9 karat grade gold for their razor plating. All silver plated razors darken with age and if used much the silver plating will show wear, being a soft plating metal.

Several of my French wedge blade razors and my German Mulcuto show plating damage on the razor head, handle or accessory honing/stropping blade holder. I am sure that plating quality can vary from maker to maker and over time possibly but wondered if there is a consensus of who had the best plating. Of course the solution to bad plating is stainless steel construction as used in three of my CVH razors and a number of my modern ones.

I like the plating on ball end OLD types and Techs, it's thin and comes off easily so I can get to that gorgeous brass underneath! :thumbsup:

You can scratch Gillette off your list for sure!

Of course the solution to bad plating is stainless steel construction as used in three of my CVH razors and a number of my modern ones.

Plastics and Bakelite hold up pretty well. I've wondered why they don't make razors out of cupronickel, it's amazing stuff!

"Cupronickel alloys are used for marine applications due to their resistance to seawater corrosion, good fabricability, and their effectiveness in lowering macrofouling levels. Alloys ranging in composition from 90% Cu–10% Ni to 70% Cu–30% Ni are commonly specified in heat exchanger or condenser tubes in a wide variety of marine applications.

Important marine applications for cupronickel include:

Shipbuilding and repair: Cupronickel alloys are used in seawater cooling, bilge and ballast, sanitary, fire fighting, inert gas, hydraulic and pneumatic chiller systems.
Desalination plants: Cupronickel alloys are used in brine heaters, heat rejection and recovery, and in evaporator tubing.
Offshore oil and gas platforms and processing and FPSO vessels: Cupronickel alloys are used in systems and splash zone sheathings.
Power generation: Cupronickel alloys are used in steam turbine condensers, oil coolers, auxiliary cooling systems and high pressure pre-heaters at nuclear and fossil fuel power plants.
Seawater system design: Cupronickel alloys are used in tubular heat exchangers and condensers, piping and high pressure systems.
Seawater system components: Cupronickel alloys are used in condenser and heat exchanger tubes, tubesheets, piping, fittings, pumps, and water boxes.
Hulls of boats and ships"

"Currently, cupronickel remains the basic material for silver-plated cutlery. It is commonly used for mechanical and electrical equipment, medical equipment, zippers, jewelry items, and as material for strings for string instruments. Fender Musical Instruments used "CuNiFe" magnets in their "Wide Range Humbucker" pickup for various Telecaster and Starcasterguitars during the 1970s.

For high-quality cylinder locks and locking systems, cylinder cores are made from wear-resistant cupronickel."

"Important properties of cupronickel alloys include corrosion resistance, inherent resistance to macrofouling, good tensile strength, excellent ductility when annealed, thermal conductivity and expansion characteristics amenable for heat exchangers and condensers, good thermal conductivity and ductility at cryogenic temperatures and beneficial antimicrobial touch surface properties."

One cupronickel alloy I believe is Monel alloy which is used for a number of hardware items for boats and yachts in addition to all the areas you mentioned. I have even read of it being used for prop shafts for inboard power boats. IMO nice stuff and with good machining characteristics. Not worn for any time in shaving applications so it should be ok I would think for those with a nickel sensitivity.

I like the plating on ball end OLD types and Techs, it's thin and comes off easily so I can get to that gorgeous brass underneath! :thumbsup:

Toby, do you have a good technique for removing the nickel plating or gold wash from vintage Gillettes to get down to clean brass that may then be polished?

One cupronickel alloy I believe is Monel alloy which is used for a number of hardware items for boats and yachts in addition to all the areas you mentioned. I have even read of it being used for prop shafts for inboard power boats. IMO nice stuff and with good machining characteristics. Not worn for any time in shaving applications so it should be ok I would think for those with a nickel sensitivity.

Polishes to a nice silver color too, looks like real silver. They use it for silver-plated cutlery, zippers, and jewelry items.

Liking it due to ease f removal is hardly what I had in mind. Basically saying you like minimal plating because it is easy to remove. I am thinking of durable and long lasting plating as being the goal like some of the Gillette England Rhodium plating.

Top Bottom