What's new

Classic Lighters

I just looked and it appears that they have a single flame torch insert, double flame torch insert, arc insert, and a softflame butane insert.
The softflame (they call it yellow flame) looks very interesting!
So a $19 torch insert in a $25 Zippo with the original insert removed. If the torch works well, that is still pretty cheap. 👍

Yes, love the scent of a wick type lighter, no matter what the fuel. My uncle on the farm used to go over to the gas barrels and fill his Zippo with gasoline. Worked fine, I guess. Butane lighters took away that scent, but relieved us of some of the mess of wick and fuel lighters.

I worked with a guy that was stationed on an aircraft carrier. He *claimed* that they used to fill their zippos with jet fuel. I have no way of verifying, but wow.

I bought a Zippo pipe lighter a year ago when I was in Birmingham. Where I was staying, I had to smoke outdoors, and matches wouldn't cut it. I've used the Zippo only occasionally since then. Too likely I'll scorch the rim of my pipe bowl, unless it already is a dark sandblast.

Yep. I smoke primarily outside, never in the house, sometimes in the garage. Anyway, when I'm using my Zippo outdoors on a windy day, I grab an old burnt cob 'cause i know the Zippo is likely to burn it further.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Zippo has a new branded butane soft flame insert ive been toying with buying. $19 dollars.
I have been eyeing that as well.
In warm weather I carry a Bic, when it gets cold I carry a Zippo.

A gas Zippo in the summer could be quite nice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I worked with a guy that was stationed on an aircraft carrier. He *claimed* that they used to fill their zippos with jet fuel. I have no way of verifying, but wow.
Navy jet fuel (JP5) is quite stable, it has a minimum flashpoint of 140 F.
Gasoline is very volatile and has a flashpoint of -49 F
Regular lighter fluid has a flashpoint of around -7 F

Navy jet fuel (JP5) is quite stable, it has a minimum flashpoint of 140 F.
Gasoline is very volatile and has a flashpoint of -49 F
Regular lighter fluid has a flashpoint of around -7 F

So, that high flashpoint, compared to lighter fluid, would it even work in a Zippo?...especially in low temp conditions?

Does anyone think about flame temp? I purchased a hemp wick lighter because of its “low temp” and thinking about the caramelization of virginia’s sugars at the correct temp, I think about it now and again. I will withhold the inner nerd and say I dislike using a non adjust Bic with its big flame and will stick with my fatboy. Has anyone used a FB for a while and moved on to something better?

Edit: the hemp deal rocks yet smells awful once the flame is extinguished.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Does anyone think about flame temp? I purchased a hemp wick lighter because of its “low temp” and thinking about the caramelization of virginia’s sugars at the correct temp, I think about it now and again. I will withhold the inner nerd and say I dislike using a non adjust Bic with its big flame and will stick with my fatboy. Has anyone used a FB for a while and moved on to something better?

Edit: the hemp deal rocks yet smells awful once the flame is extinguished.
Flame color is a better indicator of temperature than flame size.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, that high flashpoint, compared to lighter fluid, would it even work in a Zippo?...especially in low temp conditions?
In a pinch some used to use it, but we worked in an engineering space that was 120 to 130 F all the time, so it only took a little work to get it going.
If you were out and about in cooler temps? It took a LOT of work. I think real lighter fluid was cheaper than the flints you'd go through.
It was almost as easy to go back behind the boiler and put the end of your cigarette on a steam pipe from the superheater outlet which was almost 500 F. Paper ignites at approx 451 F.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I used to have a zippo I swapped out the innards for a butane insert that I liked, easier to use and fill. Also had a Ronson lighter I liked, they had plastic ones and also metal ones that were a good price.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I used to have a zippo I swapped out the innards for a butane insert that I liked, easier to use and fill. Also had a Ronson lighter I liked, they had plastic ones and also metal ones that were a good price.
Zippo owns Ronson now, and still produces a separate line of Ronson lighters and fuels.
That's why Zippo nows says to use only genuine Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fuel.

I've an original ronson lighter that is probably from the 40s or so. I bought it off ebay. It's awesomely cool looking. If I have the mechanism perfectly cleaned and it's topped off with fluid it lights pretty easy. If I'm not religious about maintaining it, it's a PITA to light a pipe with it.

I want a permanent match lighter. I see that working really well with pipes. The Ronson does ok, and just ok, when it's well maintained and easy to flick.

Generally I am into vintage utensils and tools, hence why I rock the ronson. It is one of few examples where modern throwaway economy design actually outperforms vintage build quality. Give me a late 1800s straight razor, or Claus scissors or shears from the 50s, or a vintage case pocket knife, or any of a number er of older vintage utensils. They are usually far superior to the current cheap throwaway options. Current disposable bics, on the other hand, are hard to beat.

Last edited:

I have heard of that. Also read in a book WWII GIs would use gasoline when needed. If it is all you have then yeah.

lasta

Blade Biter
I used to be a long time Zippo guy, but running out of fuel in middle of the week got on my nerves...

Dug up an old Dupont, had it repaired and been using it for the past 2 months. No leakage and lasts much longer.

Legion

Staff member
My dad told me a story of when he was in the army, and he used two stroke outboard motor fuel in his zippo, because it was all they had handy. Gummed it all up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I used to be a long time Zippo guy, but running out of fuel in middle of the week got on my nerves...

Dug up an old Dupont, had it repaired and been using it for the past 2 months. No leakage and lasts much longer.
The best method with a Zippo is to top it off whenever fuel is handy rather than waiting till it needs to be refilled.

Top Bottom