What's new

Classic Hairstyle question for the Barbers on here💈

F5A707B5-A197-4DC2-A32B-1BF37F899B63.jpeg
I recently changed barbers after my barber for 7 years moved out of state. I have been sporting a classic side part style for several years now with the top kept longer so I can slick it back neatly with pomade. My new barber asked me if I was set on having my hair length graduated longer as it nears the part. I really didn’t know how to answer him on this other than to tell him it’s cut that way so I can easily find my part in the morning when I’m combing it. His comment was he likes to cut it a bit shorter where the part begins so you change up where your form the part if you like. Is this a common practice? I alway though you need the extra length where the part begins to get it to properly lay over. Any thoughts on this???

I am with you on this one, I have honestly never heard about making it shorter at the part. What I have heard of, commonly, is using a razor down to skin to define the part. With the hair left long, you could easily change your part to cover it up and also find it by slicking your hair back with a coarse comb. My rule of thumb is usually "what will this look like as it grows back?" I wouldn't want a bunch of small hairs that will stand straight up in two weeks if I am understanding what he is getting at.

As an aside, sometimes these things are a test whether you trust the barber. Maybe unintentional, but they like to sound like the professional. I went back to cutting my own hair after trying to be diplomatic and feeling like "hey, I am the customer."

Edit: not a professional, some training, a lot of years cutting, constantly keeping up on what's new

I am with you on this one, I have honestly never heard about making it shorter at the part. What I have heard of, commonly, is using a razor down to skin to define the part. With the hair left long, you could easily change your part to cover it up and also find it by slicking your hair back with a coarse comb. My rule of thumb is usually "what will this look like as it grows back?" I wouldn't want a bunch of small hairs that will stand straight up in two weeks if I am understanding what he is getting at.

As an aside, sometimes these things are a test whether you trust the barber. Maybe unintentional, but they like to sound like the professional. I went back to cutting my own hair after trying to be diplomatic and feeling like "hey, I am the customer."

Edit: not a professional, some training, a lot of years cutting, constantly keeping up on what's new
Thanks for your input. I think going shorter would make it harder to find the part. I personally comb my hair straight forward, find the line and I get a perfect part every time. (my old barber taught that trick to me). Yeah I tried having the part razored in a few years ago and its not worth it. My hair is pretty straight and can find the part pretty easily. Plus its a pain when it grows back and when your barber goes to touch it up again it can gradually get wider than you want it.

Was hoping your thread would get more visibility by responding to it, kind of curious about this myself. Probably five days from now a pile in will happen, or not...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a lot of advice on this. I was trained as a Cosmetologist, trained myself to be a Barber type of hair cutter for the "older" type of men's styles.

It really is an art, cutting hair. The angle at which one holds the hair changes the way it lies down, etc.

As to finding your "natural part"- comb your wet hair straight back, push it forward, where it separates is where your part wants to be. Doesn't mean you can't fight it.

When I used to cut hair I always TRIED to cut it so that it wouldn't matter if you missed a few hairs, or changed where you wanted it parted.

I'm probably going to cut my hair tonight. I'm letting the top grow out, after years of a crew cut. Lol, I guess I'm becoming my Dad!

Top Bottom