What's new

Classic Edge's board strop

I've found a passing reference or two to this item here on B&B.
If/when I do take the plunge into straights, I like the look of it.
It's a nice size for me (3" x 10") and appears to be effective.

I welcome opinions from voices of experience, please

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I recommend a regular hanging strop. I believe that the slight natural sag of the hanging strop is important for addressing the edge. Also 10" is awfully short. Could be useful for traveling, maybe, but while I own probably 20 lbs of straight razors I do not have a single paddle strop unless you count the balsa.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I recommend a regular hanging strop. I believe that the slight natural sag of the hanging strop is important for addressing the edge. Also 10" is awfully short. Could be useful for traveling, maybe, but while I own probably 20 lbs of straight razors I do not have a single paddle strop unless you count the balsa.
I agree with Mr. Slash. For daily maintenance I strongly prefer a hanging strop

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the Classic Edge paddle strop and also the Classic Edge Professional Strop.

The smaller strop was what I bought to learn on because I didn't want to cut up or damage a more expensive strop. I also have a small leather hanging strop for the same reason. I like the small C.E. strop better than I thought I would.

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG

The C.E. Professional Strop (above and below) is another matter entirely. The two sides have considerably different feeling leathers. I use both sides. According to the information which came with the razor starting with either and then going to the other is okay, but different people familiar with the strop use it in opposite ways. I've been beginning with the slower drawing and harder feeling darker colored English bridle leather.

ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

As a SR newbie my opinion is just that of a newbie. I like these strops but I'm not saying they are the way to go or the way I'll be doing it in a year. There's no doubt in my mind that these are quality strops, and I wouldn't be surprised if The Professional Strop is the last strop I ever buy (or if it isn't either).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Classic Edge paddle strop and also the Classic Edge Professional Strop.

The smaller strop was what I bought to learn on because I didn't want to cut up or damage a more expensive strop. I also have a small leather hanging strop for the same reason. I like the small C.E. strop better than I thought I would.

View attachment 923218

The C.E. Professional Strop (above and below) is another matter entirely. The two sides have considerably different feeling leathers. I use both sides. According to the information which came with the razor starting with either and then going to the other is okay, but different people familiar with the strop use it in opposite ways. I've been beginning with the slower drawing and harder feeling darker colored English bridle leather.

View attachment 923219

As a SR newbie my opinion is just that of a newbie. I like these strops but I'm not saying they are the way to go or the way I'll be doing it in a year. There's no doubt in my mind that these are quality strops, and I wouldn't be surprised if The Professional Strop is the last strop I ever buy (or if it isn't either).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Look very nice to me.

Top Bottom