What's new

Classic Colognes/Aftershaves...

Hey guys just wondering what everyone's favorite classic scents are. I'm wanting to experiment and try some new things. I like alot of the classic aftershave scents that the barbers use after shaving your neck like bay rum etc...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For one, try the TOBS victorian limes splash ... a great lime scent.

I really dig the scent of Musgo Real splash as well.

Try those, and then see IF you need any more suggestions. :biggrin1:

Now we're talking my language:
Florida Water
Aqua Velva
Clubman Bay Rum
Clubman Lilac Vegetal
English Leather
Brut

You can really get those? (Do they cost a lot of gold? :lol:)

Seriously, I wasn't aware that those were products that are actually still available.

Yeah, you can still get them. I was joking though, because you can't get any more "old man" than 1,000 years BC. :biggrin:

Now we're talking my language:
Florida Water
Aqua Velva
Clubman Bay Rum
Clubman Lilac Vegetal
English Leather
Brut

Oh heck yeah! Old Spice, too, I guess. And lots of different kinds of bay rum: Ogallala, Superior 70 Alcoholado!!, Dominica, Masters (although I have not tried it)

And, oh gee, seem to be leaving one out, on the tip of my tongue, hmmm, what could it possibly be,

just kidding, of course, given my current avatar---HOYT'S!

Gentlemen,

Being an Anglophile, especially one who prefers the 19th-century world to all other ages in history, I tend to favor British shaving products and fragrances. Let's face it, the Brits are the world's shaving artists. Of course, I have my exceptions from other countries, too. So here goes my list of favorites:

1. Spanish Leather is a complex concoction that definitely transports me to 19th-century England, although I am not sure when the product was put on the market. Both Truefitt & Hill and Trumpers have their version of the classic smell. I love them both, and use them regularly.

2. I have used Woods of Windsor the longest of all the British products. Still have it. Some years back I found 11 bottles of it at a TJ Max in Colorado, and bought all. I was in heaven, although I did notice the cashier scratching her head.

3. Taylor of Old Bond Street's No. 4 Victoria Lime is a nice and fresh fragrance. Clean. Love it.

4. No. 6, made by Casswell-Massey, American, is also a favorite. It carries similar complexities as the Victoria Lime. It is nice lemon-lime fragrance, and good fit for summertime. According to Casswell-Massey, the original cologne was designed for George Washington. Hey, listen, if it was good enough for our great president, it is good enough for me.

5. Pashana, another British cologne that dates back to the 1920s, was a good experiment. Although at first application it comes off alcohol heavy, it eventually settles down. I must admit, though, that once I finish the bottle, I will retire it.

6. Tabac after shave, made in Germany, is another nice, clean and soapy fragrance. Since I like Tabac products, the aftershave will be a regular.

7. Proraso aftershave splash is passable. It is another clean scent, and it is cooling, but I will retire it, too, when the bottle is gone. It is a good product, with a lot of fans, but I still prefer the Brits and the Americans.

8. Pinaud's Clubman takes me back to a great tradition: the old time barbershop, with real barbers. I have used that for years, and will continue to do so.

9. English Leather, which I buy on sale once a year at Walgreens, usually lasts me the entire year. I'll always keep it around.

10. I liked Pinaud's Lilac, but my wife and two daughters couldn't stand the smell of it. They said it made them think of old barbershops. Daaaaaa! Of course. I love old time barbershops, I protested, and a lot of good that did. I lost that battle and had to retire the fragrance.

11. I have tried numerous designer aftershaves, at a big cost to those who bought them for me as gifts, and like none. I don't even remember any of the names, for heaven's sake.

12. There is a long list of other national and international brands of aftershave and cologne, old and new, that have visited my shaving kingdom, but none I find worth mentioning.

So there you have it, gentlemen, for what it's worth, my aftershave and cologne favorites. Preference for aftershaves and colognes is personal, and that's what makes the gentlemanly world of wet shaving all the more fascinating, and worth the effort.

Regards,

Obelit

Regarding the Tabac offerings: I'm thinking of trying some on my next QED order. Can anyone comment on their EdC vs EdT? Also wondering about the "Culture" Edt.

Regarding the Tabac offerings: I'm thinking of trying some on my next QED order. Can anyone comment on their EdC vs EdT? Also wondering about the "Culture" Edt.
According to the Tabac website, the only difference between EdC and EdT is the concentration of the 'juice'. Both ought to smell very similar therefore, much more so than when comparing either to the AS. I remember the EdT as pretty potent stuff, but I really ought to take a new whiff of it.

Can't comment on Tabac Culture, never seen it; it's not listed on the Mäurer & Wirtz homepage, even. Pretty weird, since several webpages comment on M&W 'relaunching' the brand with a new website and the like. The website does link back to M&W's main page... really weird.

What do the abbreviations EDC, EDT and the terminology "CULTURE" EDT mean?
EdC = eau de cologne
EdT = eau de toilette
'Culture' EdT = a particular brand of EdT made by German house Mäurer & Wirtz, and belonging to the family of Tabac fragrances (Original, Man, and Gran Valor).

EdC and EdT differ by their concentration of the 'jus' making up the scent: an EdT contains double to three times the amount, making for a much more potent and lasting scent.

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the explanations. I was ready to reach for the dictionary.

As for Tabac after shave, I find it to be a clean and fresh fragrance. It also lingers without being overwhelming.

Regards,

Obelit

I have not tried the EdT, but I've seen several posts saying it is different than the EdC. The EdC is very much the same as the AS.

I bought both in 10 oz bottles for The Month of Tabac! back in November 2008. While I have a problem using the soap, the EdC and the AS get a fair amount of use.

Top Bottom