What's new

Classic Barbershop type scent recommendations?

Well I would think William's or Colgate would be about as "classic barbershop" as you can get. Maybe Old Spice?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Depends on the barbershop. Italian barbershop would be either Cella or Proraso Green. German barbershop would be Tabac. American barbershop...depends on what your barber uses or used when you were a kid forming memories of these things. Maybe Clubman. Maybe bay rum. Or Old Spice. I think of the warm lather from the machine, kind of a spicy Barbasol-like smell. Stirling's version of Baker Street really does it for me.

I have to say that I love Stirling Barbershop even though it doesn't smell much like a barbershop to me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think that TOBS sandalwood soap is a good starting place. Follow that up with Tabac, and then if you have an interest in a barbershop-citrus coalition try DR Harris Arlington.

CFG Ghost Town Barber. It's hardly a "classic", but it is FANTASTIC.

I would also recommend Pinkerton from Wild West Shaving Co.

Jeeves Barbershop and L&L Bandwagon are my favorites. Jeeves has a lighter, more powdery scent. Bandwagon is hard to describe but smells like most other Barbershop scents only better.
Mikes Barbershop and Fine American blend are also very good.
Wholly Kaw man from Mayfair performs great but smells too much like basil for me.

There's always commentary on these posts about how Barbershop means whatever you think of when you remember your childhood Barbershop. Respectfully, for the purposes of this conversation, that's not right because the soap makers disagree. Your barbershop may have used bay rum, but there aren't any soaps called "Barbershop" that smell like bay rum. My best guess is that the American Barbershop scent comes mostly from barbershops' use Clubman talc and aftershave, but whatever the genesis it's going to smell like some combination of patchouli, oakmoss, lavender and citrus.

Note that there are "Italian Barbershop scents" and others by country that differ greatly from what I said. I'm just talking about soaps with the English word "barbershop" on the package or in the description.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent thread and recommendations thx. I love l&l bandwagon and wsp barbercool. But do not like tadac. So the "barbershop" category has a long arch.

Cella Crema Sapone. I'm not sure if it has a barbershop scent, but it is a barbershop soap. The box (1 kg) lasts forever.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Cella Crema Sapone. I'm not sure if it has a barbershop scent, but it is a barbershop soap. The box (1 kg) lasts forever.
So how long does the soap last? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I haven't had my morning coffee yet either. :letterk1:

As barbershop scents go, besides Stirling Barbershop, I really like Wet Shaving Products T-Formula Barbershop. West Coast Shaving Gatsby No. 1, either version 1 or 2 are both excellent barbershop scents to my nose. Moon Soaps Old School is nice as well. And my combination of Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger Schafmilch (tallow version) in a 50/50 combination has clean almost barbershop scent to me as well. I wouldn't say either one alone is babershop but together the scent is definitely different and better than either one on it's own.

Top Bottom