What's new

Classic Barbershop Scent

Clubman Pinaud has been described as a Barbershop Scent also.
Avon Wild Country is also very similar.
I think they fall under the fougere category.
If you really want to impress, consider trying Alpa Fougere. Well priced, if you can find it.

Apologies, I should have noted that I "make" my own barbershop soap by grating a puck of Williams in a bowl and soaking it in at least two tablespoons of the above-noted aftershaves.
As for soapmakers offering barbershop soaps, have a look through Mama Bear's offerings, she has a soap inspired by Clubman Pinaud. Also, the previously mentioned PAA is a soap maker with a Clubman inspired soap.

There is no such thing. Barbershop scents mean different things to different people, as barbershops have never had a universal scent. For some people, barbershops smelled of Clubman. For others, they smelled of Barbasol. In any case, most of the barbershop scents that I like have been mixtures of lemon, lavender, rosemary, patchouli, bergamot, basil, and/or oakmoss.

Yes this is true. To me it has always been a Bay Rum scent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
THIS is what a Barbershop smells like to me. I think I may start up a shaving soap company and release my "Barbershop" scent smelling like overheated clippers just as a cheeky joke :tongue_sm

I'd buy it! EVERYBODY knows what a Barber shop smells like, and is instantly transported to being 6 years old sitting in a chair next to your dad and brothers fighting over who has to go first, and praying that your dad won't demand a high and tight be forced upon your head!
Seriously, remember that smell of the powder on the brush as he dusted off your neck?

[MENTION=102566]Rusty Blade[/MENTION] they do indeed. It can be found on clubmanonline.com, however truthfully I feel that any shave soap scent paired with the AS makes a nice barbershop scent

When I was young, my mom would take me to a beauty college, for haircuts. It was full of young hairstylists that had punk jewelry, and brightly colored hair, that scared me. Those places smell of acrylic nailpolish, and hairspray. That's the scent that I associate with barbershops, because I didn't go to "proper" ones. Lol. I started going to places like Super Cuts, or Great Clips, when I was around 10 years old. They don't smell like anything, other than overheated hairclippers, as someone mentioned.

I've only tried one and that was maggard brand "London barbershop" smell. I find myself just smelling brush after I use it. (Is that weird?)lol

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

I remember going to the barbershop with my father. This was mid to late 1960's.

I scents I remember most are Vitalis, old chair leather, an ashtray, but most of all it was the flatulence from whatever all those "old men" ate the night before.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I remember going to the barbershop with my father. This was mid to late 1960's.

I scents I remember most are Vitalis, old chair leather, an ashtray, but most of all it was the flatulence from whatever all those "old men" ate the night before.
I had forgotten the old man smell of," Lips that never tell a lie" lol! Thanks for the memories!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
attachment.php
Pinaud...it's essence and scent that brings back memorizes of old. :001_rolle

Most of us would agree that Original Clubman Aftershave (in my opinion, it has a 'clean' and pleasant citrus-like fragrance, a touch of woodsy notes with a light powdery finish), is that classic, quintessential 'old school' barber shop scent!!! :w00t:

Now, if your soap is non-tallow based...you can add Clubman (many like adding
glycerine also), and melt-it (nuke-it), in the microwave and cool until solidified. :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]
"A good lather is half the shave". William Hone[/FONT]

Thanks guys...very helpful. I am reminded of my trips to the barbershop when I was a kid. My father would sit me in the chair and all he would do is wink at the barber and out would come the shears. I would leave bearing a strange resemblance to a cue ball.

Back on topic...that scent was a clean, fresh manly scent. I will know it when I smell it. I think I will start with B&M Seville. I really enjoy their products. Then I will move on to Sterling Barbershop...and then maybe a home-made Clubman Pinaud glycerin crossover hybrid.

barber shop scent for me is actually osage rub. the barber i use to go to as a kid used it on my neck. everytime i use osage rub it makes me think of going to get a hair cut with my dad. this was in the 80tys to so not as long ago.

Top Bottom