What's new

Clash of the Titans: Brit Crat #21 vs #66

OK...Round 2...using King C Gillette blades (awesome BTW!)...the 4th Gen was about 10% smoother...the 2nd Gen was about 10% more efficient. Really very, very close! Honestly, from a user's perspective, I don't see a reason to keep both these razors. They're both awesome razors, but there's just too much redundancy. I will continue to experiment with a few more blades to confirm my findings.
img-0274-1-jpg.1356589

P.S. At some point, I would like to try a 3rd Gen (like #16) to compare with these two.

Aren't they same heads on them?
For me, the weight balances better on the jr .. I think you need to install the jr into your rotation to give us the comparison.

P.S. Weight difference is also negligible. Sure, side-by-side I noticed a difference. But, I picked up the 3rd Gen first (without looking at the baseplate) and I thought it was the lighter 4th Gen. So, there you go.

P.S. Weight difference is also negligible. Sure, side-by-side I noticed a difference. But, I picked up the 3rd Gen first (without looking at the baseplate) and I thought it was the lighter 4th Gen. So, there you go.

How do you compare the second, third and forth generations? I guess it would be no surprise that the second is the most efficient and the forth the smoothest while the third is somewhere in between.

How do you compare the second, third and forth generations? I guess it would be no surprise that the second is the most efficient and the forth the smoothest while the third is somewhere in between.
You are correct! However, I honestly don’t feel a big difference in any of them. Perhaps 5% between 2nd and 3rd…and another 5% between 3rd and 4th…in terms of increased smoothness and decreased efficiency. If I hadn’t done a side-by-side, I would have probably thought they were the same razor. For the average user (like myself), I don’t see a reason for keeping more than one. Of course, if you’re a collector or appreciate subtle differences, then that’s a different story.

You are correct! However, I honestly don’t feel a big difference in any of them. Perhaps 5% between 2nd and 3rd…and another 5% between 3rd and 4th…in terms of increased smoothness and decreased efficiency. If I hadn’t done a side-by-side, I would have probably thought they were the same razor. For the average user (like myself), I don’t see a reason for keeping more than one. Of course, if you’re a collector or appreciate subtle differences, then that’s a different story.

I also don't find a huge difference between these 3 razors. They are definitely not the same, but not a night and day different. I keep mine mostly as part of my humble collection and I still use them from time to time. I'm trying to get my hands on a first gen Aristocrat, but those are more pricey compared to the others and the other thing is that most of them have misalignment issues due to the fact that they don't have end caps and if you drop them, knock them or even over tighten the handle, you can bend something and that will cause the blade to be misaligned. The construction of the second generation is slightly better, but it's still nowhere near as good as the 3rd and 4th. Getting your first gen tuned-up by a professional to align it properly is almost a must, unless you don't plan using it.

I also don't find a huge difference between these 3 razors. They are definitely not the same, but not a night and day different. I keep mine mostly as part of my humble collection and I still use them from time to time. I'm trying to get my hands on a first gen Aristocrat, but those are more pricey compared to the others and the other thing is that most of them have misalignment issues due to the fact that they don't have end caps and if you drop them, knock them or even over tighten the handle, you can bend something and that will cause the blade to be misaligned. The construction of the second generation is slightly better, but it's still nowhere near as good as the 3rd and 4th. Getting your first gen tuned-up by a professional to align it properly is almost a must, unless you don't plan using it.
Thanks. You just saved me from the Brit Crat rabbit hole 🕳 I’m not an OC guy anyhow, so there’s no need for me to add a 1st Gen. In fact, I will probably end up selling one of the two Crats that I have left.

Thanks. You just saved me from the Brit Crat rabbit hole 🕳 I’m not an OC guy anyhow, so there’s no need for me to add a 1st Gen. In fact, I will probably end up selling one of the two Crats that I have left.

I like the history behind some of the vintage razors and how they look and while they are not necessarily bad shavers, I find the modern razors slightly better in general. My main issue with the most vintage razors is that they lack efficiency. And yes, if you don't care about collecting, you have absolutely no reason to go deep into the vintage rabbit hole.

I like the history behind some of the vintage razors and how they look and while they are not necessarily bad shavers, I find the modern razors slightly better in general. My main issue with the most vintage razors is that they lack efficiency. And yes, if you don't care about collecting, you have absolutely no reason to go deep into the vintage rabbit hole.
I agree. There’s no comparison with modern razors (especially anything produced by Shane or James) in terms of efficiency. But, I will probably keep one Brit Crat, because it is the most beautiful razor ever…and one of the smoothest!

Gota weigh in here again :biggrin1:. I have a few 1st generation Aristocrats :blush: and although I haven’t shaved with all of them the ones I have tried are fine shavers. Actually, I find it the mildest OC I ever tried (only the Goodwill to me is milder) and it is simply a wonderful shaver. And I have a very boyish face that really prefers solid bar Tech-like “aggression” razors.

I agree that the 1st gens are pricier these days, and I also suggest you get a great condition one (to maximize the chance of no issues with it) - but once you do, they are absolutely lovely.
:001_wub:

0A8E6813-A1FA-419F-985F-80ADA09E4456.jpeg

Gota weigh in here again :biggrin1:. I have a few 1st generation Aristocrats :blush: and although I haven’t shaved with all of them the ones I have tried are fine shavers. Actually, I find it the mildest OC I ever tried (only the Goodwill to me is milder) and it is simply a wonderful shaver. And I have a very boyish face that really prefers solid bar Tech-like “aggression” razors.

I agree that the 1st gens are pricier these days, and I also suggest you get a great condition one (to maximize the chance of no issues with it) - but once you do, they are absolutely lovely.
:001_wub:

View attachment 1373286

I think most of the times the case is what is making them more expensive. I've seen 1st gens in good/ok condition, while the case was in almost mint condition and the price was of course as high as you can imagine and i've also seen the opposite - the razor in very good condition, while the case was not very pretty and the price was much better.

A while ago I asked one seller on the bay to send me a few pictures to see the head of his 1st gen, in more detail and he mentioned that someone from Denmark asked him if it's possible to cancel the auction so he can buy it for 80£, but he said that it woudn't be fair for those who have already bidded on the razor. You don't happen to know anything about it, do you :D?

I think most of the times the case is what is making them more expensive. I've seen 1st gens in good/ok condition, while the case was in almost mint condition and the price was of course as high as you can imagine and i've also seen the opposite - the razor in very good condition, while the case was not very pretty and the price was much better.

A while ago I asked one seller on the bay to send me a few pictures to see the head of his 1st gen, in more detail and he mentioned that someone from Denmark asked him if it's possible to cancel the auction so he can buy it for 80£, but he said that it woudn't be fair for those who have already bidded on the razor. You don't happen to know anything about it, do you :D?

Nope. I only bought 2-3 Aristocrats in 2021, all won fair and square. Sometimes they go very very high but other times not. And you are right that it is the great condition cases that will push them up there.

But to prove my point about their shave quality :biggrin1: I will tomorrow shave with this wreck #19 for the first time. It is not in great condition, almost cannot open. But the bars and teeth do look allright… Wish me luck :laugh:

36CD76A1-0C44-4DF6-A7BB-CA1E8965EA48.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope. I only bought 2-3 Aristocrats in 2021, all won fair and square. Sometimes they go very very high but other times not. And you are right that it is the great condition cases that will push them up there.

But to prove my point about their shave quality :biggrin1: I will tomorrow shave with this wreck #19 for the first time. It is not in great condition, almost cannot open. But the bars and teeth do look allright… Wish me luck :laugh:

View attachment 1373334

If the blade aligns perfectly you have nothing to worry about. I hope I get lucky with mine, otherwise I have to send it to the US for atleast a tune-up service.

Top Bottom