What's new

Clam Dip Anyone?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Having grown up in the northeast, fall season always reminds of clam dip.

From Wikipedia:
In the early 1950s in the United States, the first televised recipe for clam dip appeared on the Kraft Music Hall show, a well-known and popular radio and television variety program that ran from 1933 to 1971. After the recipe segment aired, canned clams in New York City sold out within 24 hours. The ingredients used in this recipe were minced canned clams, cream cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Clam dip remained popular throughout the 1960s and 1970s in the U.S...

Looks like clam dip isn't as popular as it once was, but still I make some every fall. Matter of fact I made some this afternoon.

Super easy to make, my basic recipe:

1 6.5oz can minced clams, drained (reserve some of the liquor)
8oz softened cream cheese
1/4c sour cream
2-3 Tbs finely chopped green onion or shallot
Squeeze of fresh lemon (about a Tbs)
1 tsp Worcester (to taste)
Dash of hot sauce, to taste

Blend all the ingredients until smooth then add clam liquor bit-by-bit until you reach your desired consistency. Chill at least a couple hours before serving. Makes about 2 cups.

Variations...
Add finely crumbled bacon and/or a bit of horseradish. Make a baked version in a sourdough "bowl".

Anyone else a fan of clam dip?

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 5.44.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I also grew up in the Northeast in the 1970's, and I have very fond memories of my mother's clam dip. I haven't had any in years, but you've inspired me to ask my wife to make some for Christmas. Thank you for the recipe.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I also grew up in the Northeast in the 1970's, and I have very fond memories of my mother's clam dip. I haven't had any in years, but you've inspired me to ask my wife to make some for Christmas. Thank you for the recipe.

Excellent!

I should have mentioned in the recipe... If you can only find "chopped" clams and not "minced", run a knife through the drained chopped clams to get them to a finer consistency, it makes a difference to their distribution throughout the dip.

Reminds me of the funny album cover by Soul Asylum, "Clam Dip and Other Delights" -- it was a parody of the famous Herb Alpert cover "Whipped Dream and Other Delights". The reason was that the band had just signed to A&M records, Alpert's label.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Reminds me of the funny album cover by Soul Asylum, "Clam Dip and Other Delights" -- it was a parody of the famous Herb Alpert cover "Whipped Dream and Other Delights". The reason was that the band had just signed to A&M records, Alpert's label.
A visual. Almost as good as the album cover for the Ohio Players

DE2CF416-6E40-4D0D-BE66-8483088BB8C5.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know if I've had that, but it sounds delicious. I might have to give that a whirl this weekend. By 'blended," do you mean to process it in a blender?

I can't tell youI've had the similar, baked crab dip that Aaron mentioned. That was a staple when I was growing up, especially during the holidays. We also did an uncooked version in the Summer that was about the same recipe but cold. I've also done a similar dip with smoked oysters.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Doak, I dont use a blender I mix it by hand. Much easier if you let the cream cheese soften at room temp for an hour or so. Food processor would probably work, but I've never tried that.

Crab dip sounds amazing.

We have a restaurant here, Houstons, that has the most amazing baked artichoke dip

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I got around to making this earlier, and it came out pretty good. Nice recipe!

Leaving out the clams and onions actually makes for a very good base for a creamy dip. Add in your flavors and something to loosen it all up.

I got a little heavy with the horseradish, and that covered up the clans a bit, but they still come through. I'll back off it a little next time.

A heavy pinch of cayenne found its way in there, and that was not a mistake. Just the tiniest extra zip.

I also added about a half teaspoon of herbs de Provence, and that didn't turn out bad at all. I actually wanted to add some fresh dill, instead, but I didn't have any and didn't want to go to the store. Maybe next time. A touch of capers doesn't sound bad, either, nor does some Old Bay.

Top Bottom