What's new

Claims

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
guiness.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Why do some people claim that a double edge razor will shave closer than cartridge? Then why does gillette and schick say that their cartridge razors will give u a closer shave because each blade passing by will cut even more hair?
I use a push lawnmower, gas powered. I pick it up real careful like, and I basically just move my face around the blades. Closest shave ever! No preshave necessary, and if I play my cards right I also get a nice manicure!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You’re damned right it is good for you! During my Irish grandparent‘s days around WWII in Belfast, Guinness was prescribed to pregnant women.

OK, maybe not actually prescribed, but it was considered very good for pregnant women as it is full of good nutrients and vitamins.
Sure it's good... if you have no fruits or vegetables or iron rich meat for your pregnant women.

This discussion reminds me of the old debate regarding music... do old vinyl records give a better sound than modern CD's. Some people say yes, because it's all about vibration. Musical instruments work by vibration and you get the needle in the groove etc, whilst the CD's are clinical sterile sound. However, most people that use vinyl and turntables these days have spent a lot of money on their turntable, amp and speakers and are getting really good sound from very good equipment.

Same with shaving, most cart users have their lather in a spray can, no beard prep, one pass under the shower etc etc whilst us wet shavers, go the whole hog. Especially, those of us who use straights. I have no doubt that if you do the whole beard prep thing, top end soaps and shave with a cart you will get a good shave. But so will a DE and a straight. Carts just don't need much technique. Anybody can scrape away with one and get a half decent shave.

cheers
Andrew

This discussion reminds me of the old debate regarding music... do old vinyl records give a better sound than modern CD's. Some people say yes, because it's all about vibration. Musical instruments work by vibration and you get the needle in the groove etc, whilst the CD's are clinical sterile sound. However, most people that use vinyl and turntables these days have spent a lot of money on their turntable, amp and speakers and are getting really good sound from very good equipment.

Same with shaving, most cart users have their lather in a spray can, no beard prep, one pass under the shower etc etc whilst us wet shavers, go the whole hog. Especially, those of us who use straights. I have no doubt that if you do the whole beard prep thing, top end soaps and shave with a cart you will get a good shave. But so will a DE and a straight. Carts just don't need much technique. Anybody can scrape away with one and get a half decent shave.

cheers
Andrew
Good post.

If you think we are nuts here, check out an Audiophile forum for funzies. Whole new level of crazy.

Folks argue extensively about which 3’ $1000 speaker cable is better, which $10,000 power amp gives cleaner power, etc. Even how attaching expensive crystals to said $1000 cables can make a difference in sound.

I am a musician and have bought tens of thousands of $$$ worth of very expensive music equipment, but them audiophiles crazy. 🤪

Shave with DE's, GEMS, Injectors, Carts, etc. and stay with what you like, whether or not the advertising or the claims are accurate.

You’re damned right it is good for you! During my Irish grandparent‘s days around WWII in Belfast, Guinness was prescribed to pregnant women.

OK, maybe not actually prescribed, but it was considered very good for pregnant women as it is full of good nutrients and vitamins.

I do not think that was just the grandparents generation to be honest. The mother of a good friend of mine said that the daily single Guinness was what she absolutely did with my friend and was pretty standard. He ended up going to Cambridge (UK) and now is an Ivy League prof. so I think the moral lesson is don't mock the Irish for their Guinness habits ;)

Used to drink guiness extra stout on occasion. Good yes.....good for you....ehhhhh Felt like a brick in your belly holding ya down. That stuff is heavy LOL
Guinness is good beer but if you think it’s a heavy beer try an imperial stout. As for carts being better than DEs, SEs or straights I don’t think carts are as good as the other 3 options

Good post.

If you think we are nuts here, check out an Audiophile forum for funzies. Whole new level of crazy.

Folks argue extensively about which 3’ $1000 speaker cable is better, which $10,000 power amp gives cleaner power, etc. Even how attaching expensive crystals to said $1000 cables can make a difference in sound.

I am a musician and have bought tens of thousands of $$$ worth of very expensive music equipment, but them audiophiles crazy. 🤪

Are you saying there's something better than my TAD Reference Ones? Gotta have it, gotta have it!! :001_tongu

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

That's no lie. $3000 interconnect cables, special filters for them as you say. I read an article once of a guy that dampened floor vibration in his room by basically making a floor that was a box filled with sand. I also remember a turntable, wherein the platter was a 70lb block of granite that floated via air. Due to the mass once spinning, wow and flutter were almost non existant. Read about folks running separate filtered power to the listening room.

I am a big fan of two channel stereo. I just never got into home theatre and am perfectly fine with a mocked up surround simulation through a decent sound bar. Two channel though, I'm not sophisticated but I know what I like and my dream system, many would laugh at. Basically a set of Klipshorn and a tube amp. Some have more tied up in cables than my whole system would cost.

I'm not sure, but I think when they started out with two blades, there may have been something to that "hysteresis" effect, in which the first blade pulls the hair up a little and the second one cuts it shorter. Maybe.

Honestly, I think the reason for 5 or 6 or even 7 blades that are available now is not about cutting stubble closer. It's about comfort.

Think about this: Would you rather lie down on a single nail, or on a whole bed of nails?

When you have a large rectangular surface that has, say, 5 blades on it, pressure is distributed among the five blades, making it so that there is little chance of hurting yourself, because no single one of those blades is exerting a lot of pressure.

Gillette knows that people just don't know how to shave. And most of them don't want to learn. They have no interest in acquiring a skill. Most all of them apply WAY too much pressure (a LOT more than you actually need to cut the hairs). So, the answer to that is provide a platform that distributes pressure so the idiots will have a hard time hurting themselves.

IMO, that's what the 5 blades is all about. That's also why they added pivoting and then the "flexball." All of these are engineering ways to get a job done without a lot of damage when the operator of the equipment has absolutely no idea how to accomplish the task. Dummy-proofing the task, if you will. That's what modern cartridge razors are all about.

Oh, and as for the "lube strip." Many have asked why the lube strip is at the BACK of the cartridge if it is supposed to be providing lubrication. I don't think it is meant to provide lubrication for the initial pass. I think Gillette knows that most guys, after their quick single pass, will rub their face and then go back over places that didn't get done right on the first pass. They also know that said guys are not going to reapply lather before they go back over those places. So they slap on a "lube strip," the purpose of which is to put a slime down on your skin so that you will have some lubrication for those "touch-ups."

As Dennis Miller used to say after a lengthy rant: "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong." :001_smile

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@kingfisher I do think you are onto something with regards to number of blades. When I was playing around with 5, and especiallyt the 7 blade Dorco, to really get close, you needed a thin - non cushiony type lather or you would just float the razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Oh my god, Hai Karate! Anybody sitting on any vintage jugs of that stuff? I remember the TV commercial with the Asian guy slapping some on after shaving: "WhackWhack!" at "martial arts" speed. Can't find it on YooToob but I *did* see a lot of vintage commercials with a confection named Valerie Leon. :punk:

For a couple of years my Dad got a bottle of that every Christmas. Not that he ever appeared to use it. I recall that the bottle would be under his sink for about six months, then it wouldn't be there. By that time he was a dedicated Ronson electrickery shaver and didn't think he needed aftershave. Which made my mother just as happy, as she did not use perfume and did not believe a man should, either.

I was apparently much under Madison Avenue's spell as a kid.

O.H.

Top Bottom