What's new

Claims

Why do some people claim that a double edge razor will shave closer than cartridge? Then why does gillette and schick say that their cartridge razors will give u a closer shave because each blade passing by will cut even more hair?

Pepsodent will give you breath appeal. I think most razors can give you a super close shave. The cartridges are more for speed.

Carts are stupid. The space between the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc blades clogs immediately. You’re never shaving w more than one blade

I have found the claims generally confusing regarding DEs and cartridge razors. People say that cartridges give more ingrown hairs because one blade cuts and the next blade pulls, this repeats until all 3-5 blades pass over and the resulting hair pulls back into the follicle because it was cut below skin level. People also say that de shave closer, which counters the earlier point of ingrown hairs. I shave with traditional blades because I find it more comfortable, hard stop.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
A cart can shave closer than a mild DE in one pass. It all comes down to the persons facial hair. Even on my 50 year old medium density, but wire whiskers, one pass of a Gillette Fusion will leave me closer than one pass from a Feather Popular. On the other hand what cart is going to give me the closeness of a two pass R41 shave (WTG/ATG) with any number of passes by the cart? If you approach that level of closeness with any cart I've ever used you'd have severe razor burn.

Marketers claim all sorts of things. Are they pulling this one from the backside, or did they do a study, if a study what where the conditions that produced that outcome. Without knowing all that goes into a claim, it's hard to corroborate or debunk. We do know from our own experiences if we agree or disagree. Personally, I can agree or disagree with the statement, it all depends on the conditions and tools used.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Carts are stupid. The space between the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc blades clogs immediately. You’re never shaving w more than one blade
For you. I've used numerous carts and rarely clogged any of them. It's a YMMV proposition on clogging. I don't think they clog immediately for many or why would they continue to use them. Their marketing is not that good.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Depends how long the growth of beard whiskers, some fellows shave once a week. DE & SE wins that contest hands down because those razors are designed to remove a large amount of stubble and much easier to clean for another pass.
I shaved with different Gillette cartridge razor models for over 30 + years and never knew what I was doing because it is almost error proof. If I was to do things differently with a cartridge razor I would map my beard grain direction and for sure use a 24mm synthetic brush more often (you will get a nicer shave knowing beard grain direction IMO). Todays synthetic brushes are awesome IMO.
I have used both Cartridge & DE or SE shaving systems & I enjoy DE & SE a little more IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have used both Cartridge & DE or SE shaving systems & I enjoy DE & SE a little more IMO.
Have some great shaves!
I agree. I use DE and SE almost exclusively now. I like how you can mow down a weeks worth, even though for me that happens about once a year as I'm a daily shaver for the most part

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Everyone’s experience is different. What works for me may not work for you. All you can do is try something and see if it works for you and if you enjoy using it keep going. Just try a few things and see what works for you. Just try.

It is a matter of context and you have to keep things within context.
Why do some people claim that a double edge razor will shave closer than cartridge?
In this context they are referring to a muliple pass shave with the DE, generally 3 passes. With the grain pass (WTG) removes a lot of the stubble and a final against the grain pass (ATG) gives the closest shave for that BBS result. Not everyone can do the ATG pass; some get irritation.
Then why does gillette and schick say that their cartridge razors will give u a closer shave because each blade passing by will cut even more hair?
The context here is a single pass WTG using a cartridge containing 2-5 blades.
This is the hysteresis theory in shaving; let your fingers work the keyboard for more detail on that. Important to note here that Gillette and others do not define "close shave". The obvious is true though; drag 5 blades through your stubble and you will get closer. How much closer they do not define.
Many shavers in the early years of DE shaving just settled for a sngle pass shave and it was the accepted standard; again let your fingers work the keyboard for more detail on that.

For you. I've used numerous carts and rarely clogged any of them. It's a YMMV proposition on clogging. I don't think they clog immediately for many or why would they continue to use them. Their marketing is not that good.
Same. I never clogged any of my Gillette Fusions or other multiblade carts. I also shaved in the shower with no shave cream or soap. Close shave after one pass but I did get ingrown hairs and irritation. Almost never cut myself though.

With a DE, I use soap or creme and shave after my shower. Takes longer as I do 3 passes, but I get an irritation free and ingrown free shave. Almost the same level of closeness.

DE shaving CAN be much cheaper, but personally I have spent mucho $$$ on a stockpile of blades, soaps, brushes and razors, so I won’t see a ROI for a decade or two.

Carts are expensive and canned foam is crap IMO. Also, I enjoy shaving with a good soap/creme and a DE razor.

People say all sorts of things, but the claims are not necessarily true. Many statements and beliefs are subjective or biased, rather than objective and based with empirical evidence.

Some persons also say the Earth is flat, and that man never went to the moon.

1603736386803.png

Eben Stone

Staff member
Pretty sure you've already asked this question. Just in case I'm wrong about that, or if the answers provided last time do not answer your question to your liking, here is an analagy that might help:

My microwave can heat a frozen burrito in about 1.5 minutes. The cheese is nuclear meltdown hot, the beef is cold in a few places, and the tortilla is soggy.

Or, I can fry it for about 15, or bake it for about 25-35 minutes and get it evenly hot all the way through and the tortilla is nice and crispy. I have to check it a few times to make sure it's not getting burnt.

Which sounds better to you?

Cartridge razors are like microwaves, their benefit is speed.

Cartridge razors are marketed by experts that spend a lot of time, research, and money, to figure out exactly how to intice potential customers into buying their product instead of some other brand, or instead of last year's model.

More importantly, have you tried both cartridge and DE shaving? What are your experiences? What is your opinion? How would you answer your own question?

I admit it. I've had excellent shaves from DE razors, SE razors, injector razors, and from cartridge razors like the Gillette Atra and Sensor.

The formidable advantages of traditional razors over cartridge razors are nostalgia and the low cost of blades.

Top Bottom