What's new

Claim Check on Fusion in Consumer Reports

In this months issue of Consumer Reports, they put the claims to the test on the Gillette Fusion.

In summary, it says testers liked their usual razors jsut as well. When asked whether they would consider switching to the Fusion, most said no.

It also mentioned the 3 dollar higher cost associate with both the razor and the blades, but fails to mention using a DE or straight razor for comparison.

roughrider said:
I feel sorry for the men buying these crummy and expensive multi-blade refill cartridges.

Agreed, too bad Merkur or someone else can't throw out a massive PR on-slaught advising the benefits of kicking the cartridge for the de or straight.

I quit reading Consumer Reports in 1986. I have trouble believing anything from a magazine that advocates lying.

Randy

teamacacia said:
Agreed, too bad Merkur or someone else can't throw out a massive PR on-slaught advising the benefits of kicking the cartridge for the de or straight.

That would be great but I doubt they can afford to do it. I can see it catching on if we start seeing DE and straights being used in new movies, TV shows, magazines, etc.

We all know that we men are attracted to visual images over all other stimuli. Having said that, I believe that the 2 best visual images that could intrigue men into trying wet shaving would be these. . .

No red-blooded American--or Canadian, Dutch, German, African or Martian, either!--could resist. :001_rolle

Mitch... Great pictures, Is that you?

The problem is though that your average bloke gas been convinced that the Fusion is orth waiting for and would have to get one with no thought to the future costs. We all know that the initial cost of a Merkur DE razor is quite high against the cost of a Fusion or even a Mach 3 but you save on the blade costs. Getting this message across to the unfortunates that use the modern products would be near impossible without a huge worldwide advertising campaign.

With the exception of the forum users here and others like it people are used to slapping on a generous dollop of the latest numbing gel and scraping away with as many blades ad gillette can squeeze into the latest head in a single pass as quickly as possible. This is completely contrary to the DE & brush shavers mindset.

Jonnybc said:
Mitch... Great pictures, Is that you?

Nope--I'm not nearly so distinguished looking. :wink:

Jonnybc said:
The problem is though that your average bloke gas been convinced that the Fusion is orth waiting for and would have to get one with no thought to the future costs. We all know that the initial cost of a Merkur DE razor is quite high against the cost of a Fusion or even a Mach 3 but you save on the blade costs. Getting this message across to the unfortunates that use the modern products would be near impossible without a huge worldwide advertising campaign.

With the exception of the forum users here and others like it people are used to slapping on a generous dollop of the latest numbing gel and scraping away with as many blades ad gillette can squeeze into the latest head in a single pass as quickly as possible. This is completely contrary to the DE & brush shavers mindset.

Yeah, but the Vision looks COOL, and what guy can resist COOL? :cool:

From a logical, marketing standpoint you are absolutely right--I'm just thinking that a "stealth" campaign showing images of a futuristic-looking razor and a retro-looking shave brush all hot and lathered up would just be too damned sexy to resist. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Hi, In England we're still awaiting the arrival of the Fusion 5 blade +1. I think it's going to be launched here around September. I know your B&B site is mostly for users of the traditional cut throat razor, and it's a really excellent:001_smile site,but I thought you may wish to know that outside of the 1000s of scientists tooling away on the future 7 blade Fustration at the big G, well there's a lone voice in the wind trying to make you aware of a true innovation in razor design. You can read all about is on www.heskethrazor.com

This is for an idea to enable the multiple blades on a razor to be substituted part way through the life of the razor, the benefit being that all the blades get equally used, whereas with a fixed 3,4 or 5 blade the blades at the back of the set do little work. When you come to throw away a worn multiblade razor it is actually the front blades that have caused irritation to the skin, those back blades are still potentially OK.

Amazing really that no one has done such a thing before.

Now, I know it's not an idea for a blade & badger, but I do think it's innovative, makes full use of the blades and should have been the sort of thing that the big players invented.

Just as an aside.........I've looked at quite a few US blog sites this evening and wonder if there's a risk that some may be promoting product under the guise of being "the voice of the people", does this happen?

Best wishes

Mark Hesketh
[email protected]

mark hesketh said:
Just as an aside.........I've looked at quite a few US blog sites this evening and wonder if there's a risk that some may be promoting product under the guise of being "the voice of the people", does this happen?

What do you mean by this--I'm afraid I don't understand? Are you saying that some are promoting DE blades because they are inexpensive? Its true, isn't it? I guess I don't know what you're getting at.

But 5 blades placed closer together provides a smoother, more irritation free.... ah, I can't even repeat that.

Gillette has always been about advertising. They managed to make some great products, such as my daily use 1960 adjustable, but it was always about the advertising rather than the R&D. - Justin

mrob said:
What do you mean by this--I'm afraid I don't understand? Are you saying that some are promoting DE blades because they are inexpensive? Its true, isn't it? I guess I don't know what you're getting at.
What I mean is......what could be of more value to the launch of a new razor than having blog sites extolling how great the new razors are, so with the financial clout they have isn't it probable that some blog sites are not what they appear to be? My question was.........has this ever been found to happen?
Regards
Mark

Well I've got a Hesketh razor and it is absolutely the best!!! Wow, it cuts so close I can shave only once a week (lol, probably not a plus for the a lot of people on this forum :001_smile ). I think you should race out and buy one!

ps. Mark, payment by Paypal would be fine, thanks.

Mark, I have seen the sort of postings you mention on other forums and I know some PR companies pay people to troll forums hyping their products. I've not seen any of that here at all though. Unless... Kyle, you do an lot of reviewing... didn't you review the Gillette Fusion? :biggrin:

Pilfer said:
Well I've got a Hesketh razor and it is absolutely the best!!! Wow, it cuts so close I can shave only once a week (lol, probably not a plus for the a lot of people on this forum :001_smile ). I think you should race out and buy one!

ps. Mark, payment by Paypal would be fine, thanks.

Mark, I have seen the sort of postings you mention on other forums and I know some PR companies pay people to troll forums hyping their products. I've not seen any of that here at all though. Unless... Kyle, you do an lot of reviewing... didn't you review the Gillette Fusion? :biggrin:
NO, but for the right price...:tongue_sm

mark hesketh said:
What I mean is......what could be of more value to the launch of a new razor than having blog sites extolling how great the new razors are, so with the financial clout they have isn't it probable that some blog sites are not what they appear to be? My question was.........has this ever been found to happen?
Regards
Mark

Maybe on Corey's site (Shaveblog), but I have not seen that on B&B. And seeing that Corey hasn't updated in almost a month, I doubt he's getting too many manufacturer's beating down his door for product placements.

Actually, most of the "trade" among B&Bers is in older/used/vintage razors, for whom there is no real marketing mechanism, so I don't think this applies here on B&B.

And for the most part, us B & B ers spend more money on products that we tell each other about and that work. If they didn't work, the whole B & B community would know and tell it on the rooftops.

Plus, just the fact that there is a site that provides information for free that has improved the quality of my life would prevent me from trying to make money from it- it's not what gentlemen do.

Marty

I think that any attempt to use this site to pump a product that didn't work would fail for the reasons cited by Marty.

Think about how quickly word spread about QED and Mamma Bear soaps - and how quickly we found out that, while they work great, some people have reactions to the EOs.

Any crappy product would quickly be exposed.

I also agree with Marty that this isn't what B&B is about.

Hi,
I've created a defensive response here just by suggesting that Blog sites are open to abuse by smart sales/marketing sections of companies. They may even create them well ahead of a new product launch just to make sure it gets the street cred reception vital to introducing new product. It's a cost that's pretty small compared to the ad campaigns.

I've had a look at many sites concerning shaving recently (and of course B&B isn't one that I have any worries about, it's a great site/forum) and my surprise has been the strong acclaim to the new 5 blade. I'm an engineer, I don't trust instant accolades, I like to see items tested and compared and if possible quantified, especially if we're asked to pay a premium for the pleasure. Hence my worry that the superb freedom of blogging may have a more sinister side?

And England have lost on penalties again! (Soccer - Worldcup)

Best wishes

Mark Hesketh

mark hesketh said:
Hi,
(snip) I'm an engineer, I don't trust instant accolades, I like to see items tested and compared and if possible quantified, especially if we're asked to pay a premium for the pleasure.(snip)

Mark Hesketh

Just a momentary hijack. You wouldn't have any involvement with Hesketh motorcycles, would you?

Top Bottom