What's new

Cimarron .45

I do like color case hardening. My Colt .22 is nice, but it has faded a bit over the years. The Turnbull ones I've see are a little "loud" but they should age just fine.

I got some snap caps for it to work the action a bit, and just put a couple of drops of CLP down the front of the hammer while it was thumbed back so it would run down to the sear. That smoothed things up pretty well. Once I get some regular velocity ammo for it and see how it groups I'll think about adjusting the fixed sights. The front sight can be filed down to raise the point of impact, and some are made a bit high for that reason. You can tweak the barrel a bit to adjust for windage, as long as you pay attention to the barrel/cylinder gap and keep it proper.
How do you tweak the barrel? I have a cheapo Rough Rider that has a front blade that is a touch short. I can deal with it but my father hates it. It’s a trap line gun.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How do you tweak the barrel? I have a cheapo Rough Rider that has a front blade that is a touch short. I can deal with it but my father hates it. It’s a trap line gun.

Put the barrel in a padded vise, then turn the barrel left or right, which ever way it needs to go, just a touch, until you get the desired results. Do a tiny bit at a time, a very tiny bit. That is for windage.

For a short front sight on fixed ones that are shooting high you have to build up the sight in some form or fashion...or lower the rear sight notch with a file, then re-blue.

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/adjust-iron-sights-fixed-sight-pistols-revolvers

I think I'll use about half the box of ammo I have for aim fire, and the other half for point shooting at about 7 yards and see how it does on point shooting.

Put the barrel in a padded vise, then turn the barrel left or right, which ever way it needs to go, just a touch, until you get the desired results. Do a tiny bit at a time, a very tiny bit. That is for windage.

For a short front sight on fixed ones that are shooting high you have to build up the sight in some form or fashion...or lower the rear sight notch with a file, then re-blue.

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/adjust-iron-sights-fixed-sight-pistols-revolvers

I think I'll use about half the box of ammo I have for aim fire, and the other half for point shooting at about 7 yards and see how it does on point shooting.
Thanks

Put the barrel in a padded vise, then turn the barrel left or right, which ever way it needs to go, just a touch, until you get the desired results. Do a tiny bit at a time, a very tiny bit. That is for windage...

Actually, you should only tighten and not loosen. As well, you need a proper frame vise and don't ever use the wooden ax handle in the frame window method as I have seen too many knuckleheads bend the frame and then you're screwed. If you loosen it then generally the barrel may start "walking" out, i.e., loosening, under recoil in the future.

The problem is that you should find the "one" load that you are going to use and you will have to stick with that and even then manufs. are notorious for changing powder types and then you're SOL unless you are a reloader.

This barrel turning is best left to a bonafide SA revolver gunsmith with the proper tools to do it with all due respect.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Actually, you should only tighten and not loosen. As well, you need a proper frame vise and don't ever use the wooden ax handle in the frame window method as I have seen too many knuckleheads bend the frame and then you're screwed. If you loosen it then generally the barrel may start "walking" out, i.e., loosening, under recoil in the future.

The problem is that you should find the "one" load that you are going to use and you will have to stick with that and even then manufs. are notorious for changing powder types and then you're SOL unless you are a reloader.

This barrel turning is best left to a bonafide SA revolver gunsmith with the proper tools to do it with all due respect.

I fully respect your due respect...no offense taken. You are right about someone not knowing what they are doing trying to tweak a barrel. Let a gunsmith tweak it for you.

I had an issued Smith Model 65 that was shooting off. The police armorer looked at it, grabbed the frame with one hand and twisted the barrel with the other hand...and screwed off the barrel by HAND! Not good. When I got it back it shot perfect POA/POI. And it wasn't even spitting lead before he worked on it...go figure.

That said...with fixed sights you are SOL when any manufacturer changes their powders, charge weights, etc. Fixed sights are fixed sights.

One of the best gunsmiths in the country...knows Colt revolvers inside and out...plus other types. Frank is a great guy...helped me out on my old Colt snub...no charge for the advise on get it going good.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

...I had an issued Smith Model 65 that was shooting off. The police armorer looked at it, grabbed the frame with one hand and twisted the barrel with the other hand...and screwed off the barrel by HAND! Not good. When I got it back it shot perfect POA/POI. And it wasn't even spitting lead before he worked on it...go figure...

Some old S&W armorers would whack the barrel with a lead babbitt on the barrel and but hard to correct POA!!

That said...with fixed sights you are SOL when any manufacturer changes their powders, charge weights, etc. Fixed sights are fixed sights...

There is another trick: filing on one side of the rear sight channel on top of the frame to regulate.

I've been shooting a 1963 colt .45lc for a few decades and figure on giving it a break,
tomorrow I may pick up a 5 1/5 barrel blue uberti should be interesting to see how it
measures up against the real deal.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Was dry firing the Cimarron .45 with snap caps last night to smooth out the action some. When I loaded it to put it up the the cylinder didn't seem to turn well. When I stood up the cylinder pin fell out by gravity. Apparently the cylinder pin screw had backed out a bit. Not unusual, but time for some loctite. I do need to put some loctite on the Colt snub and the S&W L frame also.

I'm still happy with the Cimarron...the screw loosening was my fault. It's fixed now.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hmm. Need to inventory .45 Colt ammo and maybe make more.

It is the easiest round *ever* to reload, especially with carbide dies.

Don't know why I don't have a lever action in the caliber ... yet.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have the Marlin Cowboy Competition in .45 Colt. It's been a long time since I got it out to shoot. Need to remedy that. Maybe when I finish ringing in the P365 I'll load up some .45 Colt rounds and take it to the range with a couple of Blackhawks that need shootin' to.

Top Bottom