What's new

Cigars: Dialed In Or Still Playing The Field

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Back in the 1990s and 2000s, I was trying every new cigar I could get my hands on.

For roughly ten of those years I was publishing an online cigar e-zine (nothing huge on the level of cA, but it sure was fun :)) and had lots of new cigars coming through for reviews, articles, etc. Needless to say, there were always lots of fun cigars around. ;)

As I've gotten older, my taste in cigars has really dialed in so that there are maybe a half-dozen or so cigars that I reach for when heading out for the evening.

What do you esteemed Brothers of the Leaf say?

Have you narrowed your cigar focus?

Or are you still "foot loose and fancy free", playing the cigar field?

I personally like trying new things, cigars, alcohol, food.... I do have my favorite cigars that I grab more than others, but I’ve got a great cigar lounge near me that does a good job of introducing me to new cigars. Also belong to a cigar club that sends out 5 different sticks every month. I really enjoy finding new wonderful cigars to go with my usual rotation.

I do try less new cigars than I used to. Not because I don't think I'd like new things. Because there are already so many cigars I love that I barely have time and humidor space for them.

I try a lot. I mean I probably have 20 pounds of tins of pipeweed I haven't tried yet!

I know what I like in cigars but what I enjoy varies on time of day, what kind of mood I'm in etc so it's nice to have variety.

My local shop was owned by an older couple. They didn't rotate new stuff in like they used to but when they would get new stuff I would try it.

They sold so they could retire. New owner rotates as he can and there is always something I haven't had and go for it.

I have my Staples. Anything AJ Fernandez, anything San Andreas leaf... Undercrown or Liga... Most things Sungrown...

I need to find and buy a few cases of the Crowned Heads Buckeye Land. Not only is it named for my home state, it is a fantastic smoke.

My choices are Monte #4, #2, the short #2, and robustos from HdM, RyJ, Partagas and Bolivar. Also a fan of AF short story, Hemingway and the Best Seller, and the Padron Anniversario series. I don’t smoke cigars as often as I used to; I have a humidor full of HdM robustos that is going on four years. They should be superb.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Main reason for me wanting to try new cigars is to develop my palate. I think you gotta smoke more to learn more. I recently started trying all sorts of new beers. I’m finally starting to pick up on the different flavors in beer. I’m hoping the same will be true for cigars. The more I smoke the more I’ll start tasting the different flavors.

So I can’t settle on just a one or two right now.

I've "dialed in". I know what I like and have found them in a purveyor that sells them at a reasonable price. I smoke these most of the time.

Only when I'm out with the guys and we find ourselves at a smoking parlor with a vast selection do I sample something else that tickles my fancy. It's rare though.

Chris

Dialed in mostly... I pretty much only smoke Short Stories. I'll reach for one in Maduro dress occasionally and a few times a year I'll try a new stick. I do like other sticks but only get a chance to smoke a few times per month at best, so I feel like I can't "afford" (the opportunity) to take a chance on a bad stick. I am the type of person who is content with what I like and don't indulge often enough to get tired of them.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since I have picked up the pipe, I now like the occasional cigar to be a shorter smoke and reasonably priced, which would include, Short Stories, Rocky Patel Vintage, Nub, etc.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If someone hands me a new stick to try, I will certainly fire it up. Can't beat the price.

But at this point, I am pretty content with the ones I've settled on.

Their sure smoking predictability is a further source of comfort and relaxation.

The same is true with my pipe leaf.

I've dialed in what I like, but enjoy trying new stuff to expand that list. I've definitely dialed in a profile...just don't know everything that fits. I use Rocky Patel Vintage and Oliva's med-strong cigars as my baseline. Much lighter and I'm missing out, much stronger than the Olivas and it's too spicy. I find myself wanting to spit and/or dealing with the "cat crap in mouth" morning if I go too robust. There's a lot that I like in that spectrum, but always keep the old faithfuls on hand

Haven't been on the site in some time, and I am fairly new to cigars so thought I'd drop by to see what recommendations I could pick up from the fine folks here.

Had a couple of ACID Kuba Kuba, AF Short Story (enjoyed it the best so far), AF Maduro 8 5 8, and R&J 1875 Bully.

The 1875 was my least favorite.

Since I haven't won the lottery, what others in the $5-$8 stick range would y'all suggest I try to get dialed in?

Haven't been on the site in some time, and I am fairly new to cigars so thought I'd drop by to see what recommendations I could pick up from the fine folks here.

Had a couple of ACID Kuba Kuba, AF Short Story (enjoyed it the best so far), AF Maduro 8 5 8, and R&J 1875 Bully.

Since I haven't won the lottery, what others in the $5-$8 stick range would y'all suggest I try to get dialed in?
If you like the short story, stick with that line.

In no particular order:
1. Camacho Triple Maduro (ideally 6x60 which is the best tasting)
2. Villiger Cuellar Connecticut Kreme in Toro
3. Back2Back Connecticut Robusto
4. Davidoff Primero Maduro
5. Davidoff Nicaragua Maduro
6. Black Label Morphine
7. RoMa Craft (all of it!)
6. Punch Short Corona (Cuban)
7. Oliva Serie V Lancero
8. Joya De Nicaragua Antano Ct Robusto
9. Cuevas (numerous)
10. Montecristo Epic Robusto (non-Cuban)
11. Vegueros (Cuban)
12. Bandolero 50
13. Fuente Work of art (especially the Maduro) - which is a larger Short story
14. Perdomo Double Aged
15. Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro

I could go on and on....

In no particular order:
1. Camacho Triple Maduro (ideally 6x60 which is the best tasting)
2. Villiger Cuellar Connecticut Kreme in Toro
3. Back2Back Connecticut Robusto
4. Davidoff Primero Maduro
5. Davidoff Nicaragua Maduro
6. Black Label Morphine
7. RoMa Craft (all of it!)
6. Punch Short Corona (Cuban)
7. Oliva Serie V Lancero
8. Joya De Nicaragua Antano Ct Robusto
9. Cuevas (numerous)
10. Montecristo Epic Robusto (non-Cuban)
11. Vegueros (Cuban)
12. Bandolero 50
13. Fuente Work of art (especially the Maduro) - which is a larger Short story
14. Perdomo Double Aged
15. Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro

I could go on and on....

I have a 10 pack of the Oliva serie G Maduro ordered based on a recommendation of a coworker.

Thanks for the other suggestions

I have been puffing away for about 6 months now. There are a couple that have become favourites/staples, but the variety is just too great for me to say that everything is locked down. I mean, why deny yourself a potentially great experience just because you have never tried it before.

For me, the only guaranteed presence in my humidor is the Flor de Las Antillas from My Father. Loved it from the first draw, and will likely always have at least a box worth on hand. Others I have tried (the Garcia line) have been good, too, so I have purchased the other available blends (Opulencia, Judge, Le Bijou 1922) to test out when the weather improves.

Other favourites seem to be from Fuentes (Short Story, among a couple others) and the house blend at one of my local B&M shops. Nice to have a "budget" stick in the fridge, too.

Top Bottom