What's new

Cigar Storage Questions

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Not long ago, I bought the movie "Darkest Hour," about Winston Churchill, and since it would be a crime to watch a movie about Winston Churchill without smoking a big cigar, I decided to order some Churchill cigars (RyJ 1875). I'm a pipe guy, so the only humidor I had to that point was a small desktop one that was part of a sampler pack my aunt got me for my birthday a few years ago. But with the Churchills in my cart, and the Brown Leaf devil on my shoulder whispering "Do it," I added a few Punches, and a box of Red Lion Cheroots. I knew there was no way my humidor would accommodate even half of that, so I threw in a cigar jar, and used a promo code to get a free 10-count Herf-A-Dor. Even then, I was smoking cheroots out of the box for a week or two because they wouldn't all fit in the available humidor space.

So that's where I stand right now. Humidor, cigar jar, Herf-A-Dor. My stock is much diminished from what it was a month ago, but not gone. But last week a got the boxed set of Churchill's "Second World War," and, of course, I figured it would be a crime to read books by the man himself without smoking some big cigars, so I decided to stock up. The RyJs were backordered, so I went with Factory Throwouts. Then the Brown Leaf devil on my shoulder started giggling like a schoolgirl, and I clicked "Keep Shopping." Anyway, my incoming cigar order is once again going to exceed my humidor capacity.

So, to get to my questions. I really do prefer pipes to cigars, so I don't want to get another humidor. First off, I know the Herf-A-Dor is meant for traveling, but will it be ok for longer-term storage, say until I free up some space in my regular humidor (or smoke off whatever's in it)? Second, a tupperdor would be my preferred back-up storage, but I don't have any suitable containers. Would a thoroughly cleaned plastic coffee can serve just as well, or is the seal not good enough? Third, if all else fails and I have to pull all my remaining cheroots to make room for the better cigars, how long can I expect them to last without humidification (still in cellophane)?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A Herf-a-dor is practically air tight. Leave one in the car during the heat of summer and they can be practically impossible to open. I would put whatever you expect to smoke first in there.
Are the Red Lions dry cured? If so they don't even need humidification.

Get a couple of "Boveda" or "Humicare" packs and throw your extra sticks in a gallon sized 'Zip Lock' bag and seal it up. They will keep for a long time.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Are the Red Lions dry cured? If so they don't even need humidification.
They are not.

Get a couple of "Boveda" or "Humicare" packs and throw your extra sticks in a gallon sized 'Zip Lock' bag and seal it up. They will keep for a long time.
You know, I hadn't even thought about Ziploc bags, and I should have, because I've read that before. I have those. I guess that solves my problem. Thanks guys!

Tupperware or even better gasketed containers with a boveda pack are fool proof if you one laying around or see one cheap at the local super store...

Tupperware or even better gasketed containers with a boveda pack are fool proof if you one laying around or see one cheap at the local super store...

I put a lot of extras in a beer frig, one with the metal freezer and doesnt dehumidify it. Zip lock bags are good for that.
Get a decent size tupperware or tight lid container and add boveda packs or gel beads. You might have gotten some in the rj box. Btw boveda packs can be revived, paper towel, distilled water, wrap boveda pack in it and bag it overnight.
Google is your friend. I can safely dispose of any you dont have room for [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom