What's new

Cigar smoking, whiskey drinking 110-year old WWII Vet

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You Go Richard! :thumbsup:

"Richard Overton, America’s oldest veteran [fought with the 1887th Engineer Aviation Battalion in World War II, and served as a corporal in Hawaii, Guam and Iwo Jima], , just turned 110-years-old and he still drives his pickup truck every day. Overton bravely served his country while fighting in World War II, now the retired veteran enjoys a life filled with cigars, whiskey, and lazy drives in his 1970s Ford V8. “I like to drive myself ’cause other drivers, they drive crazy,” Overton says in this National Geographic documentary. Learn his secrets to a long and happy life in the video above".

Works Cited: Cigar smoking, whiskey drinking 110-year old WWII Vet

proxy.php
“The highest tribute one can bestow is not how we honor them, but how we remember them”. CBJ

The nation which honors its warriors and recalls their sacrifices, dispenses treasure from the chests of history.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm going to Austin tomorrow for the weekend and I swear I might try look him up to have a drink and stog with him.

You Go Richard! :thumbsup:

"Richard Overton, America’s oldest veteran [fought with the 1887th Engineer Aviation Battalion in World War II, and served as a corporal in Hawaii, Guam and Iwo Jima], , just turned 110-years-old and he still drives his pickup truck every day. Overton bravely served his country while fighting in World War II, now the retired veteran enjoys a life filled with cigars, whiskey, and lazy drives in his 1970s Ford V8. “I like to drive myself ’cause other drivers, they drive crazy,” Overton says in this National Geographic documentary. Learn his secrets to a long and happy life in the video above".

Works Cited: Cigar smoking, whiskey drinking 110-year old WWII Vet

proxy.php
“The highest tribute one can bestow is not how we honor them, but how we remember them”. CBJ
Now there is a real man! God bless Mr.Overton!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Update.png

Richard...Thank You for Your Service...its well deserved (and Thank You Meals on Wheels)! :thumbsup:

ABC13 News - 18 Jul 17 - Austin, Texas

"Richard Overton is 111 years old and enjoys spending his days smoking a cigar [and a 'occasional' whiskey], on his

front porch.
Cigar and Whiskey.jpeg

"That's what I built it for, to sit on it," said Overton.

After WWII, he moved to east Austin and has lived in the same home since 1948.

"I got a good neighborhood. They like me and I like them. We have each other," said Overton.

Throughout the years, not much around the house has changed. That's why Meals on Wheels is stepping in to help make some renovations to the Overton home.

"We are doing some repairs to Mr. Overton's home so he can continue to live in it independently," said Adam Hauser from Meals on Wheels Central Texas.

Over the past couple of years, the company known for feeding the elderly has now expanded their services to include home repairs.

"We want older adults to be able to age in place, live out the remainder of their lives in their own homes where they're most comfortable, but we want those to be healthy and safe environments for them and that's what our program does," said Hauser.

The Home Depot Foundation will fund the renovations by installing a walk-in shower and will make the bathroom more accessible for Mr. Overton.

They will also rewire the home to add central heat and air, in addition to replacing his old carpet with new laminate floors.
proxy.php

"I'm glad to get it done. I'll be glad when they start and glad when they get through. That's two glads...two glads," said Overton.

Overton is highly appreciative of the renovations on his home.

"I don't have to tell them thank you, they know I thank 'em. If I thank 'em too many times I won't have no thanks left,"said Overton.

The renovation project is expected to take about two weeks to complete".

Works Cited: Richard Overton gets free home repairs

proxy.php

Top Bottom