What's new

Cigar Ring Size

My first foray into cigars started with the corona, 20 years ago. Then came the cigar boom and everyone was into bigger fatter cigars. Now I find myself prefering the corona again. Most of my smokes are churchills and toros, but I am really back to cigars with a 42 to 45 ring size and from 5.25 to 6 inches on the length. I still enjoy a larger smoke occasionally, but I usually get interupted before I can finish it. What do you folks prefer? I have never noticed or believed, for that matter, that a larger ring size opens up more flavor in the cigar, but that could just be me.

Im with ya on corona's. I usually don't have the time to commit to a larger cigar and I feel corona's usually smoke better. I also like robusto sized cigars when I want a longer smoke.

You can always choose a short fatty. I really do feel that a larger ring size has its advantages. I usually choose a 50 or larger X about 6 inches. Torpedoes can be a nice smoke also - a little of many ring sizes.

You can always choose a short fatty. I really do feel that a larger ring size has its advantages. I usually choose a 50 or larger X about 6 inches. Torpedoes can be a nice smoke also - a little of many ring sizes.

50 is the max ring size for me, anything larger feels like I'm trying to smoke a bratwurst. After that last statement, everyone try to keep the Jr. High humor to a minimum, trust me, I'm holding back.:biggrin1:

I'm a big fan of smaller ring gage cigars. Petite corona, coronas and robustos. In some cigars, I even find the really thin lanceros as my favorites... They really let the flavors of the wrapper (the most expensive part of the cigar) shine through. Plus they tend to be a little shorter smoking time. It's not often I can spare the 1-2/2 to 2 hours to devote to a large churchill size. Now in my inexpensive "yard gars" and smokes for the golf course... I prefer the churchill size because I'm usually just smoking those to smoke and not sitting down to enjoy all the subtleties.

I like the lanceros when I have the occasional Panatella (the green cigars), They really bring out the sweetness in the wrapper. Fat green cigars taste like lawn clippings IMHO.

I really like around a 50/52x6 the best. I don't smoke that often, but I prefer a bit fatter cigar. I feel like a tool when I smoke a Churchill.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For myself, the Corona (or 'crown' in spanish), cigar simply represents the classic Havana format and the 'benchmark' for the industry. :thumbup1:

Although, I have smoked different sizes, I like the Corona format (5½ x 42 ring gauge...which has to do with my appearance), not only for it's size (which doesn't look silly in regard to the shape of my face), the comfortable feel between my fingers, but for it's smoking time (approx 45min). Other than that, any bigger (or shorter), cigar doesn't 'sit well' and/or feel good in my mouth or in my hands. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma." Anonymous

For myself, the Corona (or 'crown' in spanish), cigar simply represents the classic Havana format and the 'benchmark' for the industry. :thumbup1:

Although, I have smoked different sizes, I like the Corona format (5½ x 42 ring gauge...which has to do with my appearance), not only for it's size (which doesn't look silly in regard to the shape of my face), the comfortable feel between my fingers, but for it's smoking time (approx 45min). Other than that, any bigger (or shorter), cigar doesn't 'sit well' and/or feel good in my mouth or in my hands. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma." Anonymous

See, I like the larger ring gauges much for the same reason, the coronas feel too small in my hands, but its rare that I choose a smoke over 6 1/2 - 7 long, I used to smoke a lot of perfectos but they seem to have fallen out of fashion and few seem to widely distribute them anymore. I probably buy an even split of robustos and torpedos average ring size is around a 52.

James, what in the world are you doing up this late? To comment on the cigar size fitting a persons physical attributes... I guess it boils down to: do I want to look like Clint Eastwood, or Tony Soprano? I used to want to look like James Bond(The Rodger Moore version, which is why my first box of cigars was Royal Jamaican #2) then I guess I was a Soprano guy for a while. Now I'm a guy who's built like Tony Soprano, realizes he has nothing in common with Bond, and has the "Who gives a sh-t" attitude of Clint Eastwood. Besides, I hear small ring gauge cigars have a slimming effect:biggrin1:

Last edited:
I'm rarely able to sleep more than a couple hours at a time, or more than 4 1/2 - 5 hours total in a given 24 hour period, (I'd say days but they're a bit irrelevant to me).

Its not about appearance as much as it is feel, I got big meaty paws and smaller ring gauges start to feel like cigs to me. Flavor is also important, if I didn't like 'em I wouldn't smoke 'em.:tongue_sm

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I like the lanceros when I have the occasional Panatella (the green cigars), They really bring out the sweetness in the wrapper. Fat green cigars taste like lawn clippings IMHO.

I think you mean Candela. Panatella is a size, Lancero is sometimes called a small panatella. The green wrapper is called a Candela, Claro-Claro, or a Double Claro. Aside: Fidel is often shown smoking some monster like a double corona, but his personal choice was always a panatella.

The classic corona is one of my favorites sizes, but a lot of my cigars are much larger. Generally don't like to go above a 50-52 ring, but a few cigars are just begging to be smoked in a 60 ring, like the Camacho Triple Maduro 60/6, to be smoked on a full stomach and sitting down:tongue_sm.

Two of my all time favorites are the Punch Double Maduro Rothschilde and the Excalibur #3 Maduro.

My stash consists of everything from corona to double corona, to even bigger and fatter. So many good cigars, so little time to smoke them.

Last edited:
While I won't turn down a nice cigar in a 52 ring or even a 54, my definite preference is for 50 & below, with Coronas and Robustos being my favorites :001_cool:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
See, I like the larger ring gauges much for the same reason, the coronas feel too small in my hands, but its rare that I choose a smoke over 6 1/2 - 7 long, I used to smoke a lot of perfectos but they seem to have fallen out of fashion and few seem to widely distribute them anymore. I probably buy an even split of robustos and torpedos average ring size is around a 52.
James:
Thanx for your support and for sharing. :lol1:

Christopher
proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

I think you mean Candela. Panatella is a size, Lancero is sometimes called a small panatella. The green wrapper is called a Candela, Claro-Claro, or a Double Claro.

You are correct sir, thank you for correcting me. For some reason I have always confused those two words. Probably because the only spanish I speak is cigar, food, or beer related.:001_smile

Top Bottom