What's new

Cigar recommendations

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like Acid cigars when I first got in to smoking them. 1400cc and Kuba Kuba

Now days I just order a sampler from Cigars International because I can not settle on just one brand and style.

I’ll recommend the Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo with a maduro wrapper. You honestly cannot go wrong with this smoke.

If he's just starting out, this will be overwhelming. This is a strong cigar, plus this would be one to work up to. Just go to a local shop and talk to the owner/manager. But the best way is just to start smoking. Your tastes will also change over time...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Welcome to the cigar world, OP. Nothing is more relaxing than a lovely stick with a suitable beverage.

To start out, I would not go too rich, too thick, too long, or too expensive. While I love 'em at least once a week, not enjoying a Padron '64 is not uncommon for a beginner. And that can be a $20+ mistake at a cigar store. That is a top-shelf stick. So are some of the others mentioned. Same with a huge Churchill or Double Corona or something wonderfully rich like an Our Father (love them too). Possibly too much and/or too rich for a new guy. You'll get there, but not just yet.

Start with something mild, not much bigger than a 46 ring, something 6" or shorter, well-made of quality leaf, but not too expensive. You want the first smokes to be easy, pleasant experiences.

A fine first cigar and indeed a good daily smoker is an AF 858. Either a Maduro, or if you need something really mild, a Claro. As a beginner, I would initially avoid the Sun Growns. The 858 is a nice, mild, easy to smoke $4-6 stick at the counter. You should enjoy 30-45 minutes out of it without getting overwhelmed. It is a quality stick that is just complex enough to get you started. I still enjoy an 858 Claro some mornings with my first coffee on the patio.

If you want to get a little more fancy, but still stay relatively mild and not too expensive, consider a R&J Vintage in a Connecticut wrapper. That is a creamier, very easy to smoke stick in the $8-10 range for singles. Newbies and occasional smokers love these, and I always keep some on hand for them. They are ok any time, but with a beginner is especially nice after a meal.

These are both respectable, quality smokes that beginners can enjoy and get them started. Don't smoke them all the way down. I see kids nearly burning their fingers and working an uninterrupted ash column from beginning to end as some sort of standard. Just enjoy the smoke and tap and re-light as often as you need. If you only enjoy the first half, that's fine. Toss it and try another one tomorrow. If a stick is giving you too heavy a draw than you can tolerate, opt for a punch over a cut next time. And you don't have to drag yourself through one because you invested $15 or $20.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to move upscale as you develop your tastes and smoking style. And having started with a good mild cigar, you'll better appreciate the better ones as you climb the ladder. Rather than make a big investment at the auctions or vendors, find a local shop and sample one or two at a time to figure out what you like, how you like them cut or punched, whether you like a box press or a torpedo, thick or small ring, etc. Once you pick some favorites, then stock up for value and get yourself a first humidor.

Top Bottom