What's new

Cigar organization and tracking methods

Hey guys, as I start exploring cigars again...I am curious...what methods do you guys (especially those with large humidors) use to keep track of what you have and what you've smoked?

For my pipe tobacco I have a spreadsheet similar to TobaccoCellar. I'd like to do something similar with cigars, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I figured before I started trying to grind out my own ideas, I'd see if anyone else already had a good system.

This is a very interesting topic. I have only been smoking cigars for about two years and will smoke one every weekend to relax but I only keep about 20 to 30 sticks at a time so really I have no need to keep track yet. I hope that once my kids are older to have more free time and eventually get a bigger humidor that I will need to track what I have lol

I too am interested in this. Haven't really come up with a way to track what I've smoked. Its easier to see what I have because I don't have too many on hand. No more than 50 in a tupperdore. Its been mostly by memory. But ita tough trying to keep track of what was a good cigar and what wasn't. When I started I used to keep the bands of the cigars I liked but that gpt a little tough after a while lol.

I use Cigar Geeks. com virtual Humidor. Its a great site with some nice features.

If you join and Log in you can look at my Fridgidor to see how its organized. About 500 sticks now. Search for alpster.

Cigar Geeks - Logon

Been smoking premium hand rolled cigars for 15 years.

I have two large coolerdors and one large humidor. Probably around 12-18 boxes and 20-30 single cigars on hand at any time.

I don't track anything or do anything special. I smoke what I want when I want.

Most non-Cubans have a very short aging 'window' before they start to lose their flavor. I prefer my NCs fairly fresh so-to-speak.

Last edited:
What makes a cuban keep its flavor longer than a premium cigar made in another geographic location?

What makes a cuban keep its flavor longer than a premium cigar made in another geographic location?

Cubans do very little aging of their rolled product. Buying Cubans almost guarantees a young cigar.

It's not uncommon for Nicaraguan's (say Padron) or Dominican's (say Arturo Fuente) to age their rolled product for 2-3 years before selling.

Ahhh, I see. I'll have to do some research on cigar aging. All my research and experience thus far is with pipe tobacco where 30+ years (if you can wait that long) can be beneficial. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that a properly cared for stogie would be good for the long haul as well.

Ahhh, I see. I'll have to do some research on cigar aging. All my research and experience thus far is with pipe tobacco where 30+ years (if you can wait that long) can be beneficial. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that a properly cared for stogie would be good for the long haul as well.

I have a Cuban cigar connoisseur friend in Canada who has a walk-in humidor fully stocked with date coded boxes of Cubans ranging from 6 to 12 years old. He's sent me samples of top Cuban brand name well-aged cigars.

To me, a person who smokes a lot of Nicaraguan cigars, the Cubans were not very flavorful and quite bland. I can see how they'd appeal to a non-smoker because they're so mild.

My own aging of NC cigars has shown they start losing their 'edge' which I like, after about 1 to 2 years aging (after purchase).

Top Bottom