What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Last night was My Father Flor de las Antillas and Padron 2000 natural. The Antillas was too peppery/spicey for me until about the halfway point, where it suddenly and dramatically turned smooth and almost creamy. Very enjoyable after that. I really like the feel of the oval/soft box press shape in my mouth, very comfortable. The Padron was kind of bland and one dimensional, but strangely in a good way. It had a nice mild, uncomplicated, slightly aged tobacco flavour that would be good for an all day or yard work smoke. The beer was fantastic.

$080613_2312[00].jpg $080713_0046[00].jpg $080613_2301[00].jpg

Last night was My Father Flor de las Antillas and Padron 2000 natural. The Antillas was too peppery/spicey for me until about the halfway point, where it suddenly and dramatically turned smooth and almost creamy. Very enjoyable after that. I really like the feel of the oval/soft box press shape in my mouth, very comfortable. The Padron was kind of bland and one dimensional, but strangely in a good way. It had a nice mild, uncomplicated, slightly aged tobacco flavour that would be good for an all day or yard work smoke. The beer was fantastic.

View attachment 357252 View attachment 357254 View attachment 357256

ya the FDLA has quite a bit of that spicy pepper to it, which is one of the things I do enjoy about the cigar. I can see how the padron 2000 natural can be a bit boring, hopefully you will like the maduro better, but at $3.50 a stick, its a pretty good deal for a decent smoke regardless.

but at $3.50 a stick, its a pretty good deal for a decent smoke regardless.

Ha... I originally had made a note about the great price at the end of my post but deleted it before posting b/c it seems like I bring prices into the equation too often. I'm unsettled as to whether or not I should consider price in my overall evaluation of a cigar, within reason, obviously.

Ha... I originally had made a note about the great price at the end of my post but deleted it before posting b/c it seems like I bring prices into the equation too often. I'm unsettled as to whether or not I should consider price in my overall evaluation of a cigar, within reason, obviously.

Yes. You should. Because it can be hard to enjoy a cigar if you feel like you overpaid for it. There is no set threshold for how much is too much -- but you'll know if you feel like the taste didn't live up to the price you paid for it. And life's too short to smoke cigars you can't enjoy to the fullest!

Had the Padron 2000 Maduro a couple nights back and it was a big improvement on the 2000 natural. Not stellar by any means but a lot more flavour happening, especially for such an inexpensive stick... and you're right, Josh, I don't think I can ignore the price. Last night I grabbed a few from my B&M and went with a CAO America Potomac, based on some video reviews and a personal recommendatsion. It was fine but much too mild for me, in body, strength, and flavour. Nice smoke output, however. For some reason that matters to me. I think it was a 56 ring gauge and those bigger ones always trick me into thinking they'll be beasts experientially along with visually.

$080713_0046[01].jpg $080913_2237[00].jpg

Last edited:
Had the Padron 2000 Maduro a couple nights back and it was a big improvement on the 2000 natural. Not stellar by any means but a lot more flavour happening, especially for such an inexpensive stick... and you're right, Josh, I don't think I can ignore the price. Last night I grabbed a few from my B&M and went with a CAO America Potomac, based on some video reviews and a personal recommendatsion. It was fine but much too mild for me, in body, strength, and flavour. Nice smoke output, however. For some reason that matters to me. I think it was a 56 ring gauge and those bigger ones always trick me into thinking they'll be beasts experientially along with visually.

View attachment 358033 View attachment 358038

The CAO America Potomac is a fine in terms of construction and smoke output - but to me it didn't have any particularly bold flavors and the few flavors I did get sort of combined to give me an overall impression of "dirt." It wasnt all that great for me. I've got 4 more from a 5 pack I bought, so I'm sure ill give it another shot - but my first impression was not a good one.

How was it? I've seen the hype but haven't even pursued getting my hands on these yet.

I've had a few of these, the last time I tried it, i got some serious burn issues on it. This one was better but i still had to touch up once. Flavor profile wasn't too bad. I got some leather, herbs, woodsy, and kind of earthy flavors. Smoke out put was good, and so was the draw. I'd consider it a mediumish smoke. I thought it was decent, but always thought it was over-hyped a bit.

View attachment 358033 View attachment 358038

I'm with you guys on the potomac. I've smoked a couple and nothing outstanding. I thought it was an ok stick but not something I would keep on hand in my humidor regularly.

I've always like the padron 2000 maduro. Maybe its the price point, because for a stick thats only $3 and change, it has become one of my regular sticks. I actually don't mind giving them to guys who don't smoke but want to try a non-infused smoke.

Last edited:
perdomo esv 2002 sun grown. btw, agree on the whole cao Potomac line. not at all bad, pretty to look at, but nothing special. cao in general has really taken a nosedive in the past several years. they seemed to have put everything into advertising and nothing into the cigars.

Partagas Lusitania that started out good and got much better as I smoked it down.

Followed that up with a custom rolled dalia that was really good.

Top Bottom