What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

lol even with the wineador, if i could buy a box of every cigar that i wanted, I dont think i would have enough space lolz!

I use the magnet on my humidor, never looked back lolz love the extra space.

As of now, the beads are on the other side of the divider. I'm thinking when my order comes in, I'll need the divider for organization and the beads will need to move to the lid for additional storage. Fortunately, that should be an easy fix.

Oliva Serie V Belicoso in torpedo (or does belicoso mean torpedo?). I don't think I cut enough off because the draw was very constricted and I hardly got any smoke or flavour from it. Down to the last inch and a bit and it occurred to me to just pull a leaf out of the draw hole (don't know what that end is called) to open it up. It worked! Pissed me off though because I then discovered it's a great tasting cigar with only a few minutes remaining on it. Live and learn. To make up for it I'm seriously tempted to fire up the Short Story I picked up earlier. Haven't had two in one day yet. I even try to keep my pipes to one bowl per day. Curious about others' consumption, i.e. self-imposed limits, reasons why... health, financial. etc.?

Oliva Serie V Belicoso in torpedo (or does belicoso mean torpedo?). I don't think I cut enough off because the draw was very constricted and I hardly got any smoke or flavour from it. Down to the last inch and a bit and it occurred to me to just pull a leaf out of the draw hole (don't know what that end is called) to open it up. It worked! Pissed me off though because I then discovered it's a great tasting cigar with only a few minutes remaining on it. Live and learn. To make up for it I'm seriously tempted to fire up the Short Story I picked up earlier. Haven't had two in one day yet. I even try to keep my pipes to one bowl per day. Curious about others' consumption, i.e. self-imposed limits, reasons why... health, financial. etc.?
Ive read more then a few places that stated cut off as much as you need to get the draw you like... its different for every cigar so cut small and try it, if the draw is to tight take off a bit more and so on until its just perfect for you

It worked for the only one I have ever had without sending the leafs spiraling off

Second the progressive cuts, although I have had tremendous success "unplugging" a tight draw using the pick from my pipe tool. Just run it up dead center on the cut end and it usually opens the draw on the cigar (a thin bamboo skewer works as well, though it can move off center when pushed too deep).

As for consumption; I am typically time-boxed and/or weather dependant; so during the week it is a single pipe bowl per day. If the weather is nice and there arent too many bugs out - a Friday or Saturday night can be 2 - 3 cigars or pipe bowls out by the firepit.

Ive read more then a few places that stated cut off as much as you need to get the draw you like... its different for every cigar so cut small and try it, if the draw is to tight take off a bit more and so on until its just perfect for you

It worked for the only one I have ever had without sending the leafs spiraling off

Like you I start small--very small, actually. I prefer the cap be in place. When I see the Cigar Afficiando videos, those guys cut even fuller than when I stated smoking. Seems odd to me--but maybe they just don't want to screw around--it's a job for them.

A friend of mind simply makes a small slit in the top of the cap with a razor blade. It really does work well as I have tried it. Not really my preferred cut, but quite innovative, I think.

A punch cut or a v cut are also fine by me, depending on the cigar.

As to the Oliva V---my experiences with that cigar have not been too great, to date. I have not given up on it, due to the great reviews and word of mouth recs. But they have been slightly disappointing to me, especially since I like Oliva cigars and these should be right in my wheelhouse, given the description of the flavor profile and strength. Maybe it's a YMMV thing and these just aren't for me. My loss I fear if that's the case.

You might try the lancero or the petit corona on that Oliva V. The profile is a bit different from the larger ring gauge shapes. There's always the chance it just won't float your boat, too. I suppose that's okay this time, but don't make a habit of it. :001_tt2:

Fuente Hemmingway Short Story and damn was it ever short--25 minutes. I now know what people mean when they talk about an oily mouth feel. Kind of sour, as well. Maybe my beverage didn't match up well... coffee... Bali A/WP1 roasted to full city with Forty Creek Whiskey Cream. It was a good smoke but don't think I'd buy another unless I can find a maduro.

Short Story on a pile of Patton Storm Front I've had sitting out to dry since last night. Very humid here lately. I mixed in the tobacco that came off with the cap.
$062913_2104[00].jpg

Regarding starting small and making progressive cuts to get the draw right, I actually tried that with the Oliva V and it got messy. I had to clean it up with an old straight razor I don't use anymore. I wonder if an upgrade on my cheap plastic guillotine would help, or do they all use the same basic blades?

Fuente Hemmingway Short Story and damn was it ever short--25 minutes. I now know what people mean when they talk about an oily mouth feel. Kind of sour, as well. Maybe my beverage didn't match up well... coffee... Bali A/WP1 roasted to full city with Forty Creek Whiskey Cream. It was a good smoke but don't think I'd buy another unless I can find a maduro.

Short Story on a pile of Patton Storm Front I've had sitting out to dry since last night. Very humid here lately. I mixed in the tobacco that came off with the cap.
View attachment 346655

Regarding starting small and making progressive cuts to get the draw right, I actually tried that with the Oliva V and it got messy. I had to clean it up with an old straight razor I don't use anymore. I wonder if an upgrade on my cheap plastic guillotine would help, or do they all use the same basic blades?[/QUOTE

I would definately upgrade to Bette cutter, the cheaper plastic cutters tend to leave ragged edges when cut and leaves tears and a messy cap. I use a xikar buttefly.

I would definately upgrade to Bette cutter, the cheaper plastic cutters tend to leave ragged edges when cut and leaves tears and a messy cap. I use a xikar buttefly.

Any cutter will do in a pinch but the Xikar really makes a difference, IMO. I carry mine nearly all the time--even though there is almost no chance I will smoking a cigar. I get a bit bummed when I get caught without it and need to clip a stick. I keep a couple cheapies in the car, to give away and in case of an emergency. When they are brand new they work OK. But they don't stay sharp long.

Xikar cutters are fantastic. Solid performance and a lifetime warranty. Some of their less expensive models are around $35 at regular price, but you can find them for less if you look around a bit.

Sorry to hear the Short Story wasn't to your taste. It may be that you favor the darker, richer cigar flavors out there - and a maduro would certainly fit the bill. Watching your budding cigar journey is quite interesting, and I hope to see you find some sticks you really like.

An Ashton VSG--it was marvelous as always. Also got to give a nice cigar (Punch Rare Corojo) to a fellow from Buffalo I met at the bar. (Despite claiming he was a cigar smoker he seemed to have no clue how to cut or light it. But he did smoke it properly and nearly to the very nib.) I always like sharing my smokes--particularly to another guy from Western New York I just bumped into,

Alec Bradley Tempus Creo (lancero) was a 90-minute smoke with great strength and body. Flavours were good but nothing to write home about. Nice looking dark brown oily wrapper. My first lancero and while I enjoyed the intense and focused flavours of this format, I think I'd like it more if I cut it in half and smoked it in two seperate sessions. Or is that sacrilege in the cigar world? It was just too long for such a nic-heavy cigar. I am digging the smaller ring gauges... I have small hands and I think even a small mouth.

$063013_2141[00].jpg $063013_2142[01].jpg

Thought I'd also mention that late last night I had a Jose Piedra Nacionales and the draw was almost completely blocked. I tried poking around with the pick on my pipe tool, picking out leaves with tweezers, but nothing worked. I smoked the whole thing but almost blew a gasket from drawing so hard. What's the deal with cigars like that? Do we just suck it up and hope for better in the future? It was a cheap smoke so no tears were lost, but what if it were, say, a $25 cigar? Not so easy to just eat it in that case.

Cutting a lancero in half WOULD be sacrilege in the cigar smoking world. However, so is adding ice to your whiskey. What I mean by that is that if that's how YOU enjoy it, then by all means do it. However, you'd probably be better off just buying smaller vitolas to start with.

With regards to the plugged draw, it happens sometimes. You're dealing with something made by hand and that is subject to errors. Sometimes, the stick is a little over-stuff or rolled a little funky. I had an Oliva Serie G plug on me a couple weeks ago and I ended up just not finishing it. I don't have much recourse for my situation as it was a stick from a full box I purchased over 6 months ago from an online retailer. If you purchased it from a B&M though, you might be able to let them know what happened and a quality B&M will replace bum sticks. It's also worth noting that these sorts of issues are more likely to happen on less expensive cigars [you get what you pay for -- right down to the quality of the hand-rolled construction], although it does happen on "high-end" cigars on occasion.

I'm not a big fan of cutting cigars in half, as there is no cap on the second half--and I don't cut off the entire cap when I smoke. But if it works for you, whose business is it?

I do however put a LOT of ice in my whiskey.

Day one of vacation was a Ashton VSG. My first and will not be my last. Wonderful smoke. Smooth.....
Today was a Oliva Serie V. Good, but me and Oliva can not seem to agree on tastes.

Enjoyed a Tabak Especial Dulce along side a creamy iced coffee with a nudge of beam to help things along. Quite a sweet treat while watching the tide crest!$2013-06-30_16-19-16_715.jpg$2013-06-30_16-18-45_411.jpg$2013-06-30_17-06-04_58.jpg

Enjoyed a Tabak Especial Dulce along side a creamy iced coffee with a nudge of beam to help things along. Quite a sweet treat while watching the tide crest!View attachment 347248View attachment 347247View attachment 347249

I've yet to try any infused cigars apart from the Isla Del Sol, which I thought was a decent stick but certainly not a great one. I'm admittedly intrigued by some of Drew Estate's infused offerings, but quite hesitant to try them for fear I'll be disappointed.

This combination, though, doesn't seem like it could be bad. Basically setting up the cigar as a refreshing "dessert" of sorts.

Enjoyed a Tabak Especial Dulce along side a creamy iced coffee with a nudge of beam to help things along. Quite a sweet treat while watching the tide crest!

Never had a cigar with coffee. Maybe because I'm not a big coffee fan. Seeing your post makes me wonder why I've never tried Irish Coffee and a cigar before, though....

Top Bottom