What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oh crumb I'm using newair. Far far different climate here and I'm keeping an eye on it. Very disappointing news that it failed for you. I did have one fail and they replaced it but I'm not thrilled with how many people have had problems.

Probably you have not lived with the new replacement ages but @joel can you share the direction you took to improve your situation?

I'm just asking as for me humidors are cheep compared to cigars and I very much value your opinion.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Oh crumb I'm using newair. Far far different climate here and I'm keeping an eye on it. Very disappointing news that it failed for you. I did have one fail and they replaced it but I'm not thrilled with how many people have had problems.

Probably you have not lived with the new replacement ages but @joel can you share the direction you took to improve your situation?

I'm just asking as for me humidors are cheep compared to cigars and I very much value your opinion.

just make sure you don’t have any cigars resting on the bottom of the thing. If there is any condensation it will puddle there.

I bought a traditional 6 foot tall humidor cabinet (like they have at cigar shops) and installed a 4 humidifier Avallo system in it, as well as a Cigar Oasis, with some 320gr bovedas on each shelf as backups.

133797DC-6C4F-4A07-A781-6DECF810E7A1.jpeg

just make sure you don’t have any cigars resting on the bottom of the thing. If there is any condensation it will puddle there.
The out the newair and got better systems.
What were you using to humidify your Newair when it failed? I’m currently using 5 Boveda 320 gram packs in mine, and so far it’s been rock solid. It’s only been a few months, but the humidity level doesn’t budge. I keep a constant eye on it with my Boveda Butler. 5 packs might be over kill, but so far so good.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What were you using to humidify your Newair when it failed? I’m currently using 5 Boveda 320 gram packs in mine, and so far it’s been rock solid. It’s only been a few months, but the humidity level doesn’t budge. I keep a constant eye on it with my Boveda Butler. 5 packs might be over kill, but so far so good.

I think it’s less of what was used and more a function of the cooling system. I suspect moisture condensates on the cooling plate and drips down somehow onto the bottom. If you have sticks down there it absorbs the one or two drops(or more) of condensate. I didn’t have a new air but a converted wine cooler. Whenever it kicked on to cool I could see condensation collecting on the plate. Usually the humidification reabsorbed it, but for whatever reason it didn’t work out that way at least once and ruined a box of stogies. If you are worried I would just unplug the thing and use it as a glass door humidor. I mentioned it on a different thread but I don’t worry about temps anymore. Seems the tobacco beetle infestations aren’t as prevalent as they used to be, the main reason I wanted to keep the temps closer to 70f.

I think it’s less of what was used and more a function of the cooling system. I suspect moisture condensates on the cooling plate and drips down somehow onto the bottom. If you have sticks down there it absorbs the one or two drops(or more) of condensate. I didn’t have a new air but a converted wine cooler. Whenever it kicked on to cool I could see condensation collecting on the plate. Usually the humidification reabsorbed it, but for whatever reason it didn’t work out that way at least once and ruined a box of stogies. If you are worried I would just unplug the thing and use it as a glass door humidor. I mentioned it on a different thread but I don’t worry about temps anymore. Seems the tobacco beetle infestations aren’t as prevalent as they used to be, the main reason I wanted to keep the temps closer to 70f.
Gotcha, I don’t keep any cigars on the bottom, but I ran my hand over it anyway and it was bone dry. I could be totally wrong, but I don’t think Newair uses the coil type cooling system you had, but more of a convection type cooling.

Boveda

this little piggy
Nica Rustica toro. This is one potently strong cigar.
View attachment 1052705
View attachment 1052706
@Kentos and I enjoy them. :) For 2-3 bucks a stick with the right deal they are solid! We also enjoy the Kentucky Fire Cured (KFC) line. All potent. That one more so. But the KFC are fun to mix it up. Just random when two people from different parts of the world have nearly exact preferences for sticks and pipe weed but really fun at the same time. It saves me time reading reviews. :D

Now catch me on a rare saturday off cheering on my Buckeyes and I have 3-4 of those... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
@Kentos and I enjoy them. :) For 2-3 bucks a stick with the right deal they are solid! We also enjoy the Kentucky Fire Cured (KFC) line. All potent. That one more so. But the KFC are fun to mix it up. Just random when two people from different parts of the world have nearly exact preferences for sticks and pipe weed but really fun at the same time. It saves me time reading reviews. :D

Now catch me on a rare saturday off cheering on my Buckeyes and I have 3-4 of those... :D:D:D:D:D:D

I love it when they give out KFC’s in the free sampler packs cause my friends hate em and give them all to me :lol:.

I'm not that lucky ... But CI had a bunch of packs where if you bought two on clearance they threw in 20 CI bucks. Free shipping. The sale lasted until they were gone and I got quite a few for cheap. 😁

Top Bottom