What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Man . . . I'm the guy who has a pipe and finishes off a stub from a previous night. Then again that looks interesting.

Just for a laugh I'll quote from our . . . er . . . state monopoly supplier of such things:

"Nose: a thick dollop of honey spread across a layer of salted butter; in the background the ashes of a peat fire are emptied; Taste: eye closing beauty: immediate glossy impact of rich, vaguely metallic honey but upped in the complexity stakes by the subtle intense marbling of peat; the muscular richness, aided by the softness of the oil ensures that maximum intensity is not only reached but maintained; finish: long continuation of those elements found in the delivery but now radiating soft spices and hints of marzipan; balance: if familiarity breeds contempt, then it has yet to happen between myself and HP 18. This is a must-have dram. I show it to ladies the world over to win their hearts, minds and tastebuds when it comes to whisky. And the more time I spend with it, the more I become aware and appreciative of its extraordinary consistency. The very latest bottlings have been astonishing, possibly because the colouring has now been dropped, and wisely so. Why in any way reduce what is one of the world's great whisky experiences? Such has been the staggering consistency of this dram I have thought of late of promoting the distillery into the world's top three: only Ardbeg and Buffalo Trace have been bottling whisk(e)y of such quality over a wide range of ages in such metronomic fashion. Anyway, enough: a glass of something honeyed and dazzling calls ... Score - 95.5. (Jim Murray, Whisky Bible, 2010)"

I need to try this . . . not going to show it to ladies the world over . . ."

So back on subject . . . what cigar is that?

Last edited:
Man . . . I'm the guy who has a pipe and finishes off a stub from a previous night. Then again that looks interesting.

Just for a laugh I'll quote from our . . . er . . . state monopoly supplier of such things:

"Nose: a thick dollop of honey spread across a layer of salted butter; in the background the ashes of a peat fire are emptied; Taste: eye closing beauty: immediate glossy impact of rich, vaguely metallic honey but upped in the complexity stakes by the subtle intense marbling of peat; the muscular richness, aided by the softness of the oil ensures that maximum intensity is not only reached but maintained; finish: long continuation of those elements found in the delivery but now radiating soft spices and hints of marzipan; balance: if familiarity breeds contempt, then it has yet to happen between myself and HP 18. This is a must-have dram. I show it to ladies the world over to win their hearts, minds and tastebuds when it comes to whisky. And the more time I spend with it, the more I become aware and appreciative of its extraordinary consistency. The very latest bottlings have been astonishing, possibly because the colouring has now been dropped, and wisely so. Why in any way reduce what is one of the world's great whisky experiences? Such has been the staggering consistency of this dram I have thought of late of promoting the distillery into the world's top three: only Ardbeg and Buffalo Trace have been bottling whisk(e)y of such quality over a wide range of ages in such metronomic fashion. Anyway, enough: a glass of something honeyed and dazzling calls ... Score - 95.5. (Jim Murray, Whisky Bible, 2010)"

I need to try this . . . not going to show it to ladies the world over . . ."

So back on subject . . . what cigar is that?

HP18 is my go to for pairing with a cigar. I found a wild deal on it at a local liquor store and bought two cases about two years ago. Still haven’t finished that first bottle :)

RE: the cigar - that’s a Selected Tobacco Bandolero Tremendos 50.

Smoking time: 1hr 21 min. Initial notes: starts with a monster bang of black pepper with gobs of earthy notes, probably the strongest start I’ve ever experienced. First third is a mix of dry hay, nougat, boiled peanuts, old cedar and damp earth. Second third develops into a mushroom, wet moss, and Cabernet Sauvignon finish - that at around 40% has a fascinating fruit punch like note that is ever so slightly detected in the retrohale. The final third closes with roasted walnuts, dry leather and soy sauce. Draw was superb, but it had some minor burn issues which could be attributed to the strong gusts of wind outside. Overall 9.25/10

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

A victory smoke after using my new pellet smoker for the first time, and cool enuf now to smoke outside.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nica Rustica straight from the box. Should have gave it a few days in the humidor but still tasty. Still took an hour and half or more to nub it.
IMG_20190601_192207.jpg
Finally tried a Cammacho Triple Maduro. Was a tasty smoke.
Both were great with some Larceny on a single cube of ice.
IMG_20190601_220700.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think this is the third My Father The Judge I've had. I think this box pressed wonder is a bit larger than some of the Nubs I've enjoyed. Truthfully the first one I had knocked me back on my heels. Potent nic hit. I tend to smoke a bit fast partially due to circumstances and partially due to being raised poor and Irish-ish (you have to have it or someone will take it from you :) )

I had this around 5 pm after spreading some top dressing on the grass. Put it down for a couple of hours and finished it later last night.

Glad to have some standing by.

My Father The Judge.jpg

Top Bottom