What's new

Cigar Help for Pipe Smoker

I plan to smoke my pipe regularly, but celebrate with aged tins. But I think maybe once or twice a week I would also like to smoke a cigar by the pool...

So for pipe tobacco the beginner rule is to buy one blend of each category....

So what’s the rule with cigars? Do I just buy a bunch of Fuentes 858 in different wraps?
Or...
Do I buy whatever looks good like dapper, deadwood, epic, Illusione, warped, or etc?

Tell me what you would do. Im looking at around $100 to start, so no boxes of 20. Hahaha

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would buy a few samplers that have different wrappers and fillers. Wrappers run the gamut, and filler is primary Nicaraguan, Dominican and Honduran. They all have different flavors and strengths so it would be hard to suggest any single stick to a beginner. For the most part Fuente, MyFather, Drew Estate, Padron, Tatuaje, Alec Bradley, etc. won’t do you wrong. I prefer Nicaraguan filler and San Andres and Connecticut Broadleaf wrappers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you have a local B&M (Brick & Motor) I would visit them and ask what they would suggest. Last time I took suggestions from the BL crowd I spent over $400 at my local cigar shop. :lol:

But for real. Your local B&M will likely have many great suggestions. When I went shopping my guy was awesome with suggesting stuff for a “new” smoker. Most these guys spend 8 hours day in a cigar shop talking with other cigar smokers and smoking cigars themselves. You just can’t bet real world experience.

I would like to second the B&M store. The selection of good cigars available is just too great for us to reliably throw out suggestions. But, since you're in BL and we're all enablers here, Macenudo was my first brand. Very mild, very beginner friendly but punching above its weight. Nub and Rocky Patel also make a very nice smoke.

And for $100 you could buy so many, too many perhaps? Unless you've given thought to storage, take half of that and get a nice tasty beverage to enjoy with your cigars. I wouldn't go much beyond a couple weeks without a humidor.

Lastly, like razor blades, pipe tobacco, women, dogs, and cars, expect wildly varying mileage. But a fun journey!

I plan to smoke my pipe regularly, but celebrate with aged tins. But I think maybe once or twice a week I would also like to smoke a cigar by the pool...

So for pipe tobacco the beginner rule is to buy one blend of each category....

So what’s the rule with cigars? Do I just buy a bunch of Fuentes 858 in different wraps?
Or...
Do I buy whatever looks good like dapper, deadwood, epic, Illusione, warped, or etc?

Tell me what you would do. Im looking at around $100 to start, so no boxes of 20. Hahaha

You mention Fuente - I would skip the 858 (a passable, but not great cigar) and look into their Hemingway series for a few sticks. Pardon is another producer to consider. Try a few different shapes and ring sizes - they smoke differently. My favorites are Robustos and Figurados (torpedoes). In terms of wrappers -dark, espresso brown (Maduro) wrappers will impart a spicy or heavier flavor, which I find to be too much. Green wrappers? Ugh. Connecticut Shade is a popular wrap, and imparts a smooth taste and smoke. Stick with your chocolate (milk and dark) shades, which are most common. For a real treat - Fuente Opus X and Padron Anniversarios are top of the line and priced like it, too. You may be able to get three or four sticks for $100. Cigar Aficianado is a good resource for reviews.

And for the love of corn, use a wooden match to light it!

Top Bottom