What's new

Cigar Cutter Question

What manner do you like in cutting your cigar to smoke- V-Cut, Hole Punch, Full Cap Cut....- what works best for you and why-:detective:

I prefer double guillotine cutter for me. I have a rosewood handle Xikar and a stainless Prometheus cutter I use. I never could do the punch cut or v-cut, always feel like it gives me draw problems.

I used a double guillotine cutter for the first time last night- the draw was easy- but felt that maybe it was too easy- I usually use a V-Cut for that reason- slower draw- had a Patel Olde World Reserve Corojo-

I used to use a punch but now prefer a cutter as I find the draw is much better. On a related note, has anyone tried the Palio cutter and care to chime in on its quality?

Double guillotine cutter. Creates a nice aperture for an easy draw and doesn't allow for a build-up of nicotine at the tip like the punch and v-cutters do for me.

Double guillotine for me. I've been happy with my Xicar Xi, but recently switched to one of these. It's built like a tank and gives a nice clean cut at just the right spot on the head. A bonus is it keeps the cut off part captive until you want to eject it. The lifetime guarantee doesn't hurt either.

Wayne

I punch most, and use pocket cigar scissors on the rest, including figurados where the punch is unsuitable.

-- John Gehman

It is the best, you actually don' cut the cigar, with the xicar you can remove the cap that hs been glued to the cigar, it is the cleanest cut you can get, because of it becomes a very easy draw..full of smoke.

I prefer to use a punch. For me its just a cleaner opening. If I am having a draw issue, I will use my double guillotine to open the head up. I will also use the double guillotine on larger cigars like a Churchill or Double Corona to keep the build up of "junk" to a minimum. I dont feel that happens as much on a shorter cigar, which I prefer. You just need to be sure your double guillotine is super sharp to avoid damaging the cigar.

I've always gotten the best draw and cleanest cut with a v-cutter. With smaller cigars, though, I sometimes have to use a guillotine. I keep both kinds on my smoking table. I love the Donatus multi-cutter, with a v-cut and two small guillotine cuts, as well as a tool for sliding and prying open cigar boxes -- whoever invented that thing was a genius!

proxy.php

I've used them all. Including bite and spit. They all work. Double guillotine is probably my favorite, though what I actually DO use most of the time is either my Schrade Simon folder which is on my keyring, or the Spyderco Calypso Jr. which is usually in my pocket. The Schrade has only one bevel which works well cutting a cigar, and the Spyderco has a very thin bevel; ditto. An Opinel with a very sharp edge works extremely well too. The key here is SHARP with a fine bevel, so yes a straight razor would be great. Buy the cheap, damaged straights on e-bay that you'd never want to shave with, and use them to cut cigars. This may start a trend.

I used to use a punch but now prefer a cutter as I find the draw is much better. On a related note, has anyone tried the Palio cutter and care to chime in on its quality?

I have owned (or own) just about every "popular" cutter out there (Dunhill, Xikar, various punches, etc). I even have a custom-made cutter that I got while in Japan!

In short, the Palio is the best one of all - and has been been my "go-to" cutter since I got it a few years back. Very, VERY nice, sharp and smooth. After a ton of cuts, there is not a bit of deflection between the blades and the results are still perfect (barring any of my errors).

I use a pocket knife to remove the cap, but if the cigar has a tapered head, then I use a double guillotine cutter.

What manner do you like in cutting your cigar to smoke- V-Cut, Hole Punch, Full Cap Cut....- what works best for you and why-:detective:
I used to use a standard, two-blade guillotine cutter, but have since discovered the ease and reliability of a simple punch. Also, they often come with a key-ring and and can be cheaply priced. This allows you to buy several, and attach them to multiple bags or luggage.

Top Bottom