What's new

Cigar Aficiondo's Here???

I am just entering into the Cigar world. So I am looking for a humidor and or possible good starter kit. Anyone here have any insit on this??? Please help out on my quest.

If you are new to cigars, I would not recommend a true humidor just yet. A quality humidor will run a few hundred dollars and that kind of money is better spent on trying new cigars. You'll have a better idea of what you want in your humidor later, and it will be a better investment then (if you are still enthusiastic about this endeavor).

A very good alternative is a "coolerdor", "tupperdor", or "igloodor". They are inexpensive, easy to put together, and work surprisingly well. You can google directions, but here's one link: http://cigarshack.net/2009/01/19/howto-coolerdor-igloodor-coolidor/

If you are looking for ideas for cigars to try, check out this link:http://www.puff.com/Cigar-Reviews/Report/Top-25-Under-6.html I recommend staying well under the $10/stick range initially, but there are very few quality smokes under $3, IMHO. Don't waste your money on a bunch of $2 sticks. I like the 5 vegas ("cinco vegas") and El Rey Del Mundo lines and they are both pretty cheap.

One other suggestion for the economy minded...consider a pipe. A nice bowl of quality tobacco is just as enjoyable as a good cigar. Pipe tobacco is generally much cheaper and easier also to store.

Personally, I think humidors are important, even early on. They can help guarantee a more consistent smoking experience.

When you first start smoking cigars, you're trying to figure out what you like. If you "buy as you smoke" you're adding one more variable to the cigar; the humidification level. Cigars bought from stores (or especially online) can vary incredibly in terms of how wet or dry they are. This can have a big effect on your overall enjoyment.

If you let the cigars sit in a good humidor for a few weeks or months, you remove this variable, and are then only assessing the flavor and construction.

I have an Ashton/Savoy humidor that I'm very happy with.

These Aristocrat cabinets look fantastic, but are a little pricey.:001_smile

I frequent www.cigarasylum.com and there is a lot of good advice over there about getting started, too.

If you're starting out a tupperdor or coolerdor will work great. Just be sure to give it a good cleaning and allow it to air out before filling it with cigars.

If you want to invest in a nice piece of furniture down the road there are plenty great end table humidors and upright cabinets, too.

I started with a 100-count desktop humidor, then ran out of room and bought another, then ran out of room and started using a large coolerdor (which doesn't look as good, but held the humidity rock solid, reduced temperature swings and was great for storing boxes.)

Now, I've got a 28-bottle thermoelectric wine refrigerator I use as my temperature-controlled humidor, which works awesome. It's stainless and has a glass door. I got it at Target for about $150 and it holds boxes and boxes of cigars. I ordered two custom-made drawers from a member at www.cigarasylum.com to hold single cigars and have been happy with it for a long time.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to help out.

I am just entering into the Cigar world. So I am looking for a humidor and or possible good starter kit. Anyone here have any insit on this??? Please help out on my quest.

wld87stang,

Congratulations on entering the world of cigars! Remember that maintaining a humidor is similar to maintaining a fish tank. You are keeping an artificial environment at ideal conditions to suite your cigars. I would recommend a small desktop that would hold roughly 100 cigars to start. This way, if in a couple of months you find that the cigar hobby is not for you, then you won't have a lot of money invested.

With that being said, if you do like the hobby and stick with it, you will soon be buying a large cabinet humidor!:lol:

Actually I think this is a nice starter package: http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/milano-w-accessory-set-2441.cfm

Hope this helps!

DL

mazeman I am with you on the Humidor. I can get a Humidor for the price of the what Billy mentioned to do. I want a Humidor that I can grow into also I dont want to undersize and fork out double the money in the near future. This is a misson for sure. I am alittle affraid purchasing something like this without handling it first.

This Cigar obession is just like our DE obsession.

I like so far Mild or Mild-Medium body cigars. Looked at CigarIntl.com and they have a few good Cigar Samplers at a good price. Just a little FYI..

Personally, I think humidors are important, even early on. They can help guarantee a more consistent smoking experience.

When you first start smoking cigars, you're trying to figure out what you like. If you "buy as you smoke" you're adding one more variable to the cigar; the humidification level. Cigars bought from stores (or especially online) can vary incredibly in terms of how wet or dry they are. This can have a big effect on your overall enjoyment.

If you let the cigars sit in a good humidor for a few weeks or months, you remove this variable, and are then only assessing the flavor and construction.

I have an Ashton/Savoy humidor that I'm very happy with.

These Aristocrat cabinets look fantastic, but are a little pricey.:001_smile

I agree humidors are important. But a coolerdor works just as well unless you spend a good bit of money up front...I know that I went through a few sub $100 humidors before I wisened up, used a couple of coolers with RH beads and spanish cedar inside, and saved up for a quality humidor.

Coincidentally, what I saved up for was a custom 1500 count cabinet crafted by Bob Staebell of "aristocrathumidors.com". It is a fantastic box, very efficient and a beautiful piece of furniture, but it cost alot more than I would advise spending early on.

That's very good advice re: buying from a shop or internet...gotta let 'em rest before smoking if you want a true idea of what the cigar was meant to be.

I am a cigar man myself. If you want ANYTHING, check out cigarbid.com and save yourself money. And I see that you are from Boston, check out GLoucester street cigar. , the owner Jose is a great guy. There is also two guys in NH which is just HUGE. If you want a great cigar, I HIGHLY recommend the Oliva V, my personal favorite for a great cigar and not paying top dollar. I also highly recommend a Padron 3000. Best cigar for 5 bucks.

mazeman I am with you on the Humidor. I can get a Humidor for the price of the what Billy mentioned to do. I want a Humidor that I can grow into also I dont want to undersize and fork out double the money in the near future. This is a misson for sure. I am alittle affraid purchasing something like this without handling it first.

This Cigar obession is just like our DE obsession.

I like so far Mild or Mild-Medium body cigars. Looked at CigarIntl.com and they have a few good Cigar Samplers at a good price. Just a little FYI..

I don't want to seem argumentative, but the cheaper humidors just don't work as well as they should. I've owned several. My converted coolers were a much better investment.

If you are sure you want something nice, the aristocrat humidors linked by mazeman are of extremely high quality. A good investment, if you are serious about your cigars and want something that also looks great.

I am a cigar man myself. If you want ANYTHING, check out cigarbid.com and save yourself money. And I see that you are from Boston, check out GLoucester street cigar. , the owner Jose is a great guy. There is also two guys in NH which is just HUGE. If you want a great cigar, I HIGHLY recommend the Oliva V, my personal favorite for a great cigar and not paying top dollar. I also highly recommend a Padron 3000. Best cigar for 5 bucks.

Cigarbid is the devil.:lol:

You just likely cost everyone a ton of money just by mentioning it.

I didn't know what CAD was until I registered with Cigarbid. Definitely a place to pick up some good deals, once you know what you like, and can recognize what a good deal really is.

I don't want to seem argumentative, but the cheaper humidors just don't work as well as they should. I've owned several. My converted coolers were a much better investment.

If you are sure you want something nice, the aristocrat humidors linked by mazeman are of extremely high quality. A good investment, if you are serious about your cigars and want something that also looks great.

I have to agree with this. I have wanted an Aristocrat for some time. I even went as far as calling Bob and almost committing to driving up to Dallas to pick it up. rmrdaddy (rob) a member here, almost had me talked into buying one but I am married to my wife and not my good friend Rob. Some of my cigars are higher priced cigars and an Aristocrat would be a great investment for my hobby, but........................... I keep about 1,000 cigars. If I was just an occasional smoker and only kept maybe 50-100 on hand, then I wouldn't have a problem buying a humidor from cigarsinternational or cigarbid. I think your humidor should at least compliment your collection.

DL

Cigarbid is the devil.:lol:

You just likely cost everyone a ton of money just by mentioning it.

I didn't know what CAD was until I registered with Cigarbid. Definitely a place to pick up some good deals, once you know what you like, and can recognize what a good deal really is.

That place is the best for humidors. I find humidors on there for 40 bucks that cost 120 in stores.... I don't recommend cigars from there , only accessories...

... I have wanted an Aristocrat for some time .... rmrdaddy (rob) a member here, almost had me talked into buying one but I am married to my wife and not my good friend Rob.....DL

Anyone hear that bus backing up over me??? :confused1

sheeeesh, how'd I get drug into THIS one????

+1 on tubadore I set up a mini fridg as my fridgadore un-pluged .
Here is what I would set up
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-38-cup-R...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1245879941&sr=8-15
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HT_1_65
distiled water for beads
and if you like cigars upgade to a humidor

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HT_1_65

but im no expert but these people are

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?
there is also a newbe sampler thread that will get you a wide range of cigars to try

Does anone have a relationship/experience with an online cigar-monger they would reccomend? I'm tired of spending 10-12 bucks for something that should be 5-6.

I've had excellent service and prices dealing online with Atlantic, Holt's, Jack Schwartz, Serious Cigars, and Silo Cigars.

I do NOT recommend Cigars International, their auction arm Cigar Bid, JR, or Thompsons. All of these have, at minimum, issues with proper storage and horrible customer service.

For someone starting out, I recommend 1. Cultivating a relationship with a good local cigar shop if you can find one, 2. Joining a dedicated online cigar forum, 3. Using a coolerdor, or even tupperdor, your first year . . . until you have a better idea of how much storage this hobby will require for you personally, it's best to spend the money on exploring different cigars instead.

NANP™

I've had excellent service and prices dealing online with Atlantic, Holt's, Jack Schwartz, Serious Cigars, .......

I agree with all of these and would add Famous Smoke (famous-smoke.com) as another. The Famous Nicaraugan 3000 is a phenomenal budget cigar.

I haven't had any issues with Cigars International in the past. In fact the one time there was a mix up and I was sent the wrong five-pack, I called their customer service and they overnighted the correct cigars to me at their expense and let me keep the ones the sent erroneously. I do get tired of them hyping very mediocre cigars in their catalogs and online, though. Stick with known brands and I think you'd be fine.

Their product does often come a little "wet," but allowing some time in the humidor before smoking will take care of that.

I would also advise against Thompson's. I still get solicitation calls from them all the time and haven't ordered anything from them in 10 years.

I have had nothing but over-the-top experience with cigarsinternational. I know that won't always be the case, but for now, I am a happy customer.

To add to NANP recommendations, you might try www.2guyssmokeshop.com. I have dealt with them in the past and they seem to be a good company.

DL

WOW my head is spinning!!!!!!!! I have many pyions here...This is crazy. I am very skeptical on ordering a cheapy humidor beccause i would like to be able to grow with it for sure. Also want something good quality. And I know good quality and cheap dont go toghter!!!

I will have to way all my options and she whay will be best for me..Thanks and i will keep you all posted.

Top Bottom