What's new

Cien 2 blade razor

Thank you for the detailed reply, I am not as enthusiastic as I was about the Cien razors, just cannot get a close shave, I will persevere until they are used up (being a Yorkshireman) but I will happily go back to Gillette and pay the difference.

Thank you for the detailed reply, I am not as enthusiastic as I was about the Cien razors, just cannot get a close shave, I will persevere until they are used up (being a Yorkshireman) but I will happily go back to Gillette and pay the difference.
I highly recommend trying wilkinson sword, it's cheaper and blades are great

I have gone from believing that the Cien 2 blade razor was good value for money to saying that I wouldnt buy them again at any price.

They take all the pleasure out of shaving.

I have been using the 2 blade razor, 20 blades and a razor in a pack. Its the only blade I have ever used where I need to shave twice in a day. The razor feels flimsy and the release button has broken.

The blades may be better if I could find a metal holder, tried several without success.

I wonder if the Cien 3 blade is the same cart that recently appeared in Costco stores in the US under the Kirkland brand?

Just as an update to cheap UK carts it looks like the Superdrug disposable twin blades also fit the Atra/Contour system.
They’re 70p for 10 which is even cheaper than the Ciens.
The Superdrug twin blades are made by Personna.

So now for Atra/Contour compatible carts I can get Cien (Lord/Feintechnik) in Lidl or Personna in Superdrug or Dollar General (Dorco) in Poundstretcher.
Win! Win! Win!

I had never heard of these until a few weeks ago on here and on another forum. I didnt know we had Lidls in the U.S. let alone New Jersey. So I drove a few miles, not far, and bought 2 packs each with 25 carts and the plastic handle. Only $3.95 per pack!
I have only used it a handful of times, and it was no better nor no worse than any other twin non flexing blade. It fits an Atra handle with a perfect pivot but I have only shaved with the supplied plastic handle. The grip is thick and sturdy but the plastic that engages the cart looks like it wont last forever, but it is not supposed to.
It cant hurt to try it out for $3.95 if you live near a Lidl. I wouldn’t go overboard and drive 25 miles or order it online though unless the blade longevity is outstanding compared to others. The OP got a lot of shaves out of one blade but then said he had changed his opinion on it. I will chime in again if I get enough shaves under my belt with it but frankly I have been trying out too many razors lately and the Cien is not near the top of my list for a longevity test. But again, $3.95!

I tried them, Scottish Lidl ~ early 2018, and my first impression was that they were good, but there's a reason the card of refills is still almost full.

Funny enough Lidl stopped carrying these in Croatia, and instead introduced 2 blade disposables produced in Egypt I believe (Lord?) that look exactly like Gillette's twin blade razors. Compared to cien 2 blade system it's a big improvement, no irritation, dfs every time, comfortable and last around 3-5 shaves. People regularly buy them.

I tried them, Scottish Lidl ~ early 2018, and my first impression was that they were good, but there's a reason the card of refills is still almost full.
For what it is, and its price, it does the job. I wouldnt make it my exclusive razor nor would I get attached to it since it probably wont be so conveniently available for very long. For me, it just adds 50 twin blade carts to my stash of 100 personnas for about the same cost per cart, which in this case is 16 cents.

If nothing else, stick a couple of handles and 5 to 10 carts in your travel bag and if you lose them on holiday it is no big deal.

First off, I am a fan of Lidl products, they are generally of good quality and low price, from washing detergent to notebooks to tools and equipment. For example, my neighbor bought a Lidl generator which was 1/3 the price of a Honda and is perfect. I understand that their power tools are rebadged Bosch items.

The 2 blade razor is ok for what it is, if nothing else you can carry it in aeroplane hand luggage whereas you may have a problem with a safety razor. It does the job. Their shaving gel is the best shaving gel I have used, at around 60% discount compared to Gillette products.

I have seen reviews of the 5 blade razor which are critical, anyone else used the 5 blade?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We don't have Lidl out here in Australia. They were coming out here in a few years time but they have apparently stopped all proceedings and even sold off the land that they had bought for their warehouses. Pity, I was looking forward to having more competition in the market place.

We don't have Lidl out here in Australia. They were coming out here in a few years time but they have apparently stopped all proceedings and even sold off the land that they had bought for their warehouses. Pity, I was looking forward to having more competition in the market place.

I haven't been to an Australian supermarket, and only one Walmart in the US but Lidl in the UK is a bit of an odd ball, not that this is a bad thing. My local store looks ordinary enough, not the biggest by any means, you go in and have a good choice of bread and fruit and veg and meat and then turn the corner and you can buy a compressor, or jewellers handtools or a full set of spanners or a small box containing 1000 rubber O rings or 250 Jubilee clips (This may be an english maker, perhaps you call them hose clamps) all in different sizes for £3. The last time I used a Jubilee clip was 40 years ago but I bought them anyway 'just in case'.

Shaving stuff is limited, 2 and 5 blade razors, about 20 razors on a card for £5/USD8, shaving gel for about 50p/80c, no DE blades, no quality soaps, aftershaves for about £4. Some very good cocoa butter moisturisers which cost £1 for 500ml.

When they first opened the customer base was the average working family who were looking to save money, now that the word hase got around that the fruit/veg and meat is of very good quality all the yummy mummys are there and you can hardly park for Bentley GTs and Range Rover sports.

First off, I am a fan of Lidl products, they are generally of good quality and low price, from washing detergent to notebooks to tools and equipment. For example, my neighbor bought a Lidl generator which was 1/3 the price of a Honda and is perfect. I understand that their power tools are rebadged Bosch items.

The 2 blade razor is ok for what it is, if nothing else you can carry it in aeroplane hand luggage whereas you may have a problem with a safety razor. It does the job. Their shaving gel is the best shaving gel I have used, at around 60% discount compared to Gillette products.

I have seen reviews of the 5 blade razor which are critical, anyone else used the 5 blade?
not sure about bosch, however i have their power tools because I'm renewing paint and wood on my apiary and so far so good with 3 years of guarantee. Someone said it's cheaper because they put cheaper metal parts, zamak, cooper, even ceramics ect. But their AS Balm is great, had SOTD with it yesterday.

You mean the one in these pics?
It was an impulse buy, but I couldn't resist even though I was just there to get the Cien. The razor plus 1 cart was only $3.99 USD, and the refill pack was $6.45, which is a lot more than I am usually willing to pay per cart. This is just a Harry's cart on a handle that I assume was just made for Lidl. I never had the desire to try Harry's, and our local Walgreens carries Harry's in the store, but for more money than Lidl's. So I figured what the heck. I still haven't shaved with it yet. I believe Lidl used to call it The Shark, at least in the U.K., since I have seen it reviewed on youtube by someone in the U.K. Since it is a Harry's, there are plenty of reviews and opinions on the Internet.

Attachments

• 80683_500x500.png
    80683_500x500.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 54959_500x500.png
    54959_500x500.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 16
I have one of Lidl's Cien 5 bladers. Bought it a couple of years ago and it is in my regular rotation. I get a very good, comfortable shave with it and the blades last for ever! I am still using the first one and it still gives a good shave!

Top Bottom