What's new

Cien 2 blade razor

I have one of Lidl's Cien 5 bladers. Bought it a couple of years ago and it is in my regular rotation. I get a very good, comfortable shave with it and the blades last for ever! I am still using the first one and it still gives a good shave!
Is it the same one from my pics?
Mine looks exactly like this but it doesnt say Shark on the handle.

You mean the one in these pics?
It was an impulse buy, but I couldn't resist even though I was just there to get the Cien. The razor plus 1 cart was only $3.99 USD, and the refill pack was $6.45, which is a lot more than I am usually willing to pay per cart. This is just a Harry's cart on a handle that I assume was just made for Lidl. I never had the desire to try Harry's, and our local Walgreens carries Harry's in the store, but for more money than Lidl's. So I figured what the heck. I still haven't shaved with it yet. I believe Lidl used to call it The Shark, at least in the U.K., since I have seen it reviewed on youtube by someone in the U.K. Since it is a Harry's, there are plenty of reviews and opinions on the Internet.

Hi

The razor and blades is as in the pic below, a razor and 20 blades for around $5

hqdefault.jpg

Hi

That looks like the twin blade I have. I was asking the other poster about the 5 blader

Regards

Hi

I have seen one youtube review of the 5 blade Lidl razor and the opinion was that it was a worse shave than the 2 blade. The view was that there was too much flex.

Is it the same one from my pics?
Mine looks exactly like this but it doesnt say Shark on the handle.

The handle on that one looks very similar in shape and grip to my 5 blade Cien but the head attachment is different as is the blade unit itself. That one is much bigger than mine

Gareth

The handle on that one looks very similar in shape and grip to my 5 blade Cien but the head attachment is different as is the blade unit itself. That one is much bigger than mine

Gareth
So Lidl must have switched to Harry’s recently.

Gareth
Do you have a pic of yours? I am just curious.

thanks

No, Lidl have switched from Harry's to Edgewell.
I see you are from the U.K. Perhaps they carry different products in the U.S. I am in New Jersey and the only store brand men's razors they had were the Cien Twin Blade, AllMan 5 blader, and AllMan twin blade disposables. As I mentioned I didn't even know about Lidls until recently and was surprised to find one so close to where I live. I only went there to get the Cien Twin blader, and I was disappointed when I couldn't find it where the other shaving supplies were, especially since I checked online to make sure that particular store carried it. Of course, they had it in a completely different aisle. I didn't even bother to ask since the store was small, but my instincts told me it was probably in a bargain aisle or something like that, and sure enough it was. They had plenty of them. In the shaving section they had tons of AllMan 5 bladers, as well as AllMan aftershaves and balms, and cans of creams and gels. I have never seen such a big stock of these types of items in supermarkets or drugstores -- they usually only have a few on the shelves. I bought the 2 aftershaves, at $2.50 each, in glass bottles, and a can of sensitive shaving foam, for 98 cents -- 11 ounces. Less expensive than Barbasol, but haven't tried it yet.

They don't even list the Cien Twin Blade now. A few weeks ago they did but it wasn't listed under the shaving category -- I had to do a special search to find it but now it is turning up nothing.

I am no expert at how these stores price their products but they pull me in every time, if something is low enough priced and the store has sold me good products in the past then I will buy it, just on the basis that I or someone else will have a use for it someday.

For example their own brand batteries are cheap and beat top brands in performance tests, their band-aids again are cheap and really stick to your skin with band aids shaped for the specific bits of you, the finger ones for example don't wrap around the finger but are shaped, a little like a capital M, very clever.

My wife doesn't like me going to Lidl because it is a discount store, for example:

I do the laundry

Mrs Vac: The laundry looks cleaner and smells better, have you changed the program?

Me: No, I have stopped using Persil and now use the Lidl detergent, it is half the price and is top rated in consumer tests.

Mrs Vac: You have stopped using Persil?

Me: Yes

Mrs Vac: Go back to using Persil

That's interesting, Lidl moved to Edgewell when Harry's was launched in the UK. I assumed Harry's pull the contract to prevent competition.

That's interesting, Lidl moved to Edgewell when Harry's was launched in the UK. I assumed Harry's pull the contract to prevent competition.
So which model of Edgewell razor do they sell at Lidl in the U.K.? I looked at the UK site but it didn’t list razors. I am guessing the Caliber 5.

thanks

The GT5 in Orange.
The diamond coated blades made in Germany. I haven’t seen them here in the US. They arent listed on the main page of the Personna site but you will find the link if you click on the Caliber 5. The GT5 will show up as a related product.
Is it really any better than the Caliber5?

thanks

The diamond coated blades made in Germany. I haven’t seen them here in the US. They arent listed on the main page of the Personna site but you will find the link if you click on the Caliber 5. The GT5 will show up as a related product.
Is it really any better than the Caliber5?

thanks
The GT5 was released by Schick Japan as the Quattro Five, an oxymoron. They must have believed it was better than a standard private label product and could compete against the Fusion.

I bought the Cien 2-blade pack at Lidl today on an impulse. It came with 25 carts which looked like they would work with my Atra handle. It turns out they do, so that's nice. They even "flex"more than the Personna Twin Pivot Plus, because they don't have the solid piece of plastic designed to mount them on TracII handles.

I have yet to shave with it, so I'll post an update once I have. The kit is made in Germany. I'll post some pictures comparing them to Personna Twin Pivot Plus, and with the Atra handle that I have.

Packaging
packaging.jpg

Second from the top is a Personna Twin Pivot Plus, so you can compare the back of them.
compared to twin pivot.jpg

Here is one mounted on an Atra handle.
Mounted on atra handle.jpg

From a LIDL branch in the USA ?

Lidl withdrew this product from their UK stores about 2 years past, although I believe it may still be available in the Republic of Ireland.

Wasn't the manufacturer, Feintechnik, bought out by Harry's - then Lidl (UK) switched to Edgewell ?

Can be found on Ebay(UK) and Amazon(UK) marketplace - at greatly inflated prices.

Sadly missed, a very good razor IMO at a bargain price.

From a LIDL branch in the USA ?

Lidl withdrew this product from their UK stores about 2 years past, although I believe it may still be available in the Republic of Ireland.

Wasn't the manufacturer, Feintechnik, bought out by Harry's - then Lidl (UK) switched to Edgewell ?

Can be found on Ebay(UK) and Amazon(UK) marketplace - at greatly inflated prices.

Sadly missed, a very good razor IMO at a bargain price.
In the USA, yes. I shaved with it today and got a very nice shave. At $.20 per cart, I only need them to last 1/10th as long as a Gillette Fusion and I'll be a happy camper.

If I end up in Lidl again, I'll probably stock up if they have more. I'll only be using these while traveling, but my face seems to like them and they are inexpensive.

Top Bottom