What's new

Church wardrobe

for those of you that attend, what do you typically wear to Church?

the wife and I just started to attend as of today. part of it was finding a Church that suited us and was in our neighborhood. the other part was to help us through some of the difficult times we've had in our marriage that no counselor could fix.

today I kept it low key. my new Church is pretty open about dress and it was a mixed bag of casual to dress casual. I wore a pair of brown herringbone trousers, brown oxfords, a pink oxford shirt and a striped navy blue tie with light pink highlights. i'll probably wear a combination of this sort every weekend, rather than wear a full blown suit. as much as I like the open dress code I can't bring myself to wear jeans to Church - I guess I want to look presentable.

what do you wear? a suit? dress casual (nice trousers, button-up shirt & tie)? casual (jeans and button up shirt)? the george costanza (sweatpants :001_tongu)?

I normally go casual - jeans and shirt plus covered shoes. I never attended with shorts or open footwear.

It really depends wear you go and what you are there for. I wear dress shirts and slacks. Most men at my church wear suits (except the male teenagers who seem to think they are at a BBQ party).

Our church is pretty laid back. I've seen youth in shorts and older men in suits. All is accepted. As long as you don't stand out one way or the other, I say wear what you want.

Today I wore dark brown corduroy pants, white shirt, multi-colored bowtie, and light-brown camel hair jacket. Sometimes I wear a suit, other times simply khakis and a polo. Never jeans.

I always wear a suit. What I say next is not meant to judge anyone else. It is just how I choose to view it. If I were to be given the opportunity to have a meeting with the President of the United States, how would I dress? When attending church, I am standing before God himself, the supreme ruler of the world, in his own home. So, I dress the very best I can very day I go to church.

for those of you that attend, what do you typically wear to Church?

the wife and I just started to attend as of today. part of it was finding a Church that suited us and was in our neighborhood. the other part was to help us through some of the difficult times we've had in our marriage that no counselor could fix.

today I kept it low key. my new Church is pretty open about dress and it was a mixed bag of casual to dress casual. I wore a pair of brown herringbone trousers, brown oxfords, a pink oxford shirt and a striped navy blue tie with light pink highlights. i'll probably wear a combination of this sort every weekend, rather than wear a full blown suit. as much as I like the open dress code I can't bring myself to wear jeans to Church - I guess I want to look presentable.

what do you wear? a suit? dress casual (nice trousers, button-up shirt & tie)? casual (jeans and button up shirt)? the george costanza (sweatpants :001_tongu)?

Suit and tie...but it is expected of me as the leader..I try to make SURE the people I serve know that it is not what you wear but why you are here...otherwise it seems to be a mixed bag as far as who wears what...and I would never ever turn anyone or allow anyone to be turned away because of how they were dressed.

I believe in dignified modesty. You shouldn't be too dressed up as if you're there to show off. Zoot suits are a big no-no and yes, I have seen them. :thumbdown That goes for wearing strong cologne and Starburst colors as well. Conversely, you shouldn't be so dressed down that you look like you got up that morning just to take the kids to IHOP.

I was brought up on suits; I attended a church where virtually every male wore a suit. Most of the time, that's what I wear. If I'm visiting a church that is more casual, then I wear a dress shirt, a tie, and slacks in the summer and I add a blazer for cooler weather. I always wear shoes. I understand that in some areas jeans can be part of formal attire and I respect that. I, however, will never be comfortable wearing jeans at church.

By the way, my prayers go out to you and your wife.

My church offers four services. The service with a christian rock band is jeans/casual and the one I enjoy. I wasn't brought up that way so initially was uncomfortable. I'd guess 75-80% are in jeans, khakis or similar. I most often wear levi's followed by khaki or cordoroy.

Wishing you both the best. My church and faith have helped me through dark times.
Sue

Suit and tie...but it is expected of me as the leader..I try to make SURE the people I serve know that it is not what you wear but why you are here...otherwise it seems to be a mixed bag as far as who wears what...and I would never ever turn anyone or allow anyone to be turned away because of how they were dressed.

Some of the outfits that I see women wear to church are mortifying. Many long legs and buxom chests have been covered with my jacket. :ohmy:

Some of the outfits that I see women wear to church are mortifying. Many long legs and buxom chests have been covered with my jacket. :ohmy:

believe me ..I understand your point..I do..we should dress modestly ..especially those who know better and yet...we should not let clothing and our ideas of what they should look like hinder anyone from hearing the Truth. I think it is a far better witness to teach them in a loving way (and I am NOT implying you don't). As for the op I, too will be praying for you.

Most men at my church wear at least a shirt and tie, usually white. Boys 12 and up as well. Most of the leaders, including myself (lay clergy) wear suits, or blazers. Women wear dresses, and skirts.

It is hard for me to go other places where it is not as formal. I think you can be comfortable, but when people look nicer at the office then at church, I just have a hard time with that.

Marty

As Church can get pretty warm here, its usually Jeans, round collared Tshirt (thinnest one I can find) and sneakers for me.

I always wear a suit. What I say next is not meant to judge anyone else. It is just how I choose to view it. If I were to be given the opportunity to have a meeting with the President of the United States, how would I dress? When attending church, I am standing before God himself, the supreme ruler of the world, in his own home. So, I dress the very best I can very day I go to church.

Well said:thumbup1:

I didn't see this tread until this morning after I posted my Facebook joke of the morning....

Why do we wear our "Sunday Best", when we go to church to worship....is God really that superficial ???

A wife complained to me about her husband not wearing a tie...I told her that "church" isn't a fashion show and be glad that she has a husband sho regularly attends.

Joel Osteen touched on this subject yesterday, too. He has a great story about not judging people about thier clothes...just love them.

Wear what you have, God accepts you just as you are.

I once taught this in a Sunday School class. What if a young lady walks into our church for the first time with a short dress on. The asst pastor told me that he would tell her to go home and wear something decent.

I said, so if you did that, How are we showing the LOVE that Jesus wanted us to? What if she leaves and has a gets killed in a car wreck, if she isn't a Christian, our belief is she isn't going to heaven. How is that doing God's work?

SMILE GOD LOVES YOU...WITH YOUR GOOD CLOTHES ON

I am not on my soapbox, but I have heard this all my life growing up in the Southern Baptist church. It's not what you wear, it's your involvment and activity that counts.

Wear youR bib overalls if you want.

Last edited:
I didn't see this tread until this morning after I posted my Facebook joke of the morning....

Why do we wear our "Sunday Best", when we go to church to worship....is God really that superficial ???

A wife complained to me about her husband not wearing a tie...I told her that "church" isn't a fashion show and be glad that she has a husband sho regularly attends.

Joel Osteen touched on this subject yesterday, too. He has a great story about not judging people about thier clothes...just love them.

Wear what you have, God accepts you just as you are.

I once taught this in a Sunday School class. What if a young lady walks into our church for the first time with a short dress on. The asst pastor told me that he would tell her to go home and wear something decent.

I said, so if you did that, How are we showing the LOVE that Jesus wanted us to? What if she leaves and has a gets killed in a car wreck, if she isn't a Christian, our belief is she isn't going to heaven. How is that doing God's work?

SMILE GOD LOVES YOU...WITH YOUR GOOD CLOTHES ON

I am not on my soapbox, but I have heard this all my life growing up in the Southern Baptist church. It's not what you wear, it's your involvment and activity that counts.

Wear you bib overalls if you want.

+1 Don't judge others regarding how they dress; you can't get inside their heads to know what their motivations are.

Now, regarding the OP's question, I typically wear a suit and tie, because that's how I feel most comfortable in a "formal" (i.e. Sabbath service at the church) service (even though most of the other men in the congregation are in slacks with no jacket). For Wednesday night service, or a prayer breakfast, I wear the same style of clothing I wear to the office.

i didn't see this tread until this morning after i posted my facebook joke of the morning....

Why do we wear our "sunday best", when we go to church to worship....is god really that superficial ???

A wife complained to me about her husband not wearing a tie...i told her that "church" isn't a fashion show and be glad that she has a husband sho regularly attends.

Joel osteen touched on this subject yesterday, too. He has a great story about not judging people about thier clothes...just love them.

wear what you have, god accepts you just as you are.

i once taught this in a sunday school class. What if a young lady walks into our church for the first time with a short dress on. The asst pastor told me that he would tell her to go home and wear something decent.

I said, so if you did that, how are we showing the love that jesus wanted us to? What if she leaves and has a gets killed in a car wreck, if she isn't a christian, our belief is she isn't going to heaven. How is that doing god's work?

smile god loves you...with your good clothes on

i am not on my soapbox, but i have heard this all my life growing up in the southern baptist church. It's not what you wear, it's your involvment and activity that counts.

Wear you bib overalls if you want.

+2

I agree re: judging others regarding what they wear on a superficial basis. In Christ's seven woes to the Pharisees, he chided them for being as whitewashed tombs on the outside, but containing everything unclean on the inside.

The warning is obvious, one should be careful not to dress themselves up as righteous, but neglect true obedience and faith toward God. However, we should not go so far as to ignore obvious signs of rebellion. The Pharisees hid their rebellion. As Isaiah said, they praised Him with their lips but their hearts were far from Him. That doesn't mean we cannot recognize obvious rebellion when it's apparent, i.e. when people don't even attempt to praise Him with their lips out of their hatred.

Top Bottom