What's new

Church wardrobe

I normally wear dress pants and a buton up shirt, no tie. On Sunday night and Wednesday I normally wear jeans and a golf shirt. Working with the youth I have found it better to dress comfortably because they keep me running.

I dress just like I always dress, Jeans and a T-shirt for the most part. If this is a church where I have to dress up for God to love me then that's not my God.

Since I wear a tie daily for work, I always feel like I'm at work when in a tie.

I wear a nice pair of pants (never jeans) and either a polo shirt or nice sweater according to the weather.

I try not to judge, but there is this one family who all dress up in Steelers jerseys, even the mother. Looks a bit out of place.

Our church accepts everyone as they are, as every church should. You should attempt to present yourself to God nicely, but if your best is not as good as everyone else's, no one should have an issue with it. Our pastor rides his Harley to church. He gets some reactions from outsiders, but we know where his heart is. His father left him the bike when he died, it's not a vanity thing with him.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
for those of you that attend, what do you typically wear to Church?

the wife and I just started to attend as of today. part of it was finding a Church that suited us and was in our neighborhood. the other part was to help us through some of the difficult times we've had in our marriage that no counselor could fix.

today I kept it low key. my new Church is pretty open about dress and it was a mixed bag of casual to dress casual. I wore a pair of brown herringbone trousers, brown oxfords, a pink oxford shirt and a striped navy blue tie with light pink highlights. i'll probably wear a combination of this sort every weekend, rather than wear a full blown suit. as much as I like the open dress code I can't bring myself to wear jeans to Church - I guess I want to look presentable.

what do you wear? a suit? dress casual (nice trousers, button-up shirt & tie)? casual (jeans and button up shirt)? the george costanza (sweatpants :001_tongu)?

Looking again at the OP, my advice here would be to find your comfort range within that "mixed bag of casual to business casual". Much more important is finding a Church that suits you (1st paragraph) and the question of 'suits to church' is pretty secondary.

To begin with, go with the middle ground within that 'mixed bag' and slowly let that evolve, if necessary, to your own personal approach ... don't hit them with too much of your own unique uniqueness right of the bat (and this goes for everyone, not something specific about the OP.)

I try not to judge, but there is this one family who all dress up in Steelers jerseys, even the mother. Looks a bit out of place.

This happens in my church, too, although it's now mainly Penguins-oriented. I consider this in a different ballpark than general church dress code, as the people in my church who wear sports jerseys on the Sundays the Steelers or Penguins are playing wear normal dress-clothes on Sundays they aren't. It does seem a bit backward to me to idolize the Penguins by wearing their jerseys, earrings, headbands and purses (all at once, no exaggeration) to go to church where you worship God.

Suit, White shirt and tie.
I wouldn't even think of anything else.
you'll never be criticized for over dressing, but you will be for under dressing.
and remember, with a suit or sportcoat you can take the jacket off if need be.

I've read a lot of posts on what to wear and what others may be wearing, such as inappropriate clothing and would like to offer some comments of my own.

Paul tells us to dress modestly. Christ comments to the Pharisees on what is on the inside and being as whitewashed walls. Both are valid; however, I am not the judge of another. In that a church is the Lord's house, judgement is His alone. My concern is people coming into church and discovering or rediscovering Christ.

Wear what you want, wear what you have as long as your attire would not result in an arrest for indecent exposure. Does this mean I have a loose interpretation of what is appropriate? Absolutely not. Church is a place to worship God, nurture, teach and learn. I am more concerned with the state of your soul and why you were led to go to church that particular day.

Someone once asked me how I would like to look out over a congregation of thieves, murderers and drug dealers. If God sends them to you, be humble, do your job and minister to them. When you go to church, you dress to be in His presence, but not all who show up view it that way; however, they are searching and God has led them to us. We need to be the kind of Christians and churches that God would trust to send His broken children to.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've read a lot of posts on what to wear and what others may be wearing, such as inappropriate clothing and would like to offer some comments of my own.

Paul tells us to dress modestly. Christ comments to the Pharisees on what is on the inside and being as whitewashed walls. Both are valid; however, I am not the judge of another. In that a church is the Lord's house, judgement is His alone. My concern is people coming into church and discovering or rediscovering Christ.

Wear what you want, wear what you have as long as your attire would not result in an arrest for indecent exposure. Does this mean I have a loose interpretation of what is appropriate? Absolutely not. Church is a place to worship God, nurture, teach and learn. I am more concerned with the state of your soul and why you were led to go to church that particular day.

Someone once asked me how I would like to look out over a congregation of thieves, murderers and drug dealers. If God sends them to you, be humble, do your job and minister to them. When you go to church, you dress to be in His presence, but not all who show up view it that way; however, they are searching and God has led them to us. We need to be the kind of Christians and churches that God would trust to send His broken children to.
Very well said! :001_smile

:001_smile :001_smile :001_smile

See these two posts below ...
Suit, White shirt and tie.
I wouldn't even think of anything else.
you'll never be criticized for over dressing, but you will be for under dressing.
and remember, with a suit or sportcoat you can take the jacket off if need be.

I dress just like I always dress, Jeans and a T-shirt for the most part. If this is a church where I have to dress up for God to love me then that's not my God.

First and foremost, these two guys go to Church, and that's good.

They obviously have very different approaches to Church attire, and I don't think either one deserves criticism from me or anyone else. Doubtless they each have found congregations where they are accepted and "fit in".

The most important question is not "what are you wearing?" but "what is in your heart?" ... and if we try our best, whatever our personal best may be, doubtless we will all fall short of heavenly perfection and just as doubtless God will forgive us that shortfalling.

First and foremost, these two guys go to Church, and that's good.

They obviously have very different approaches to Church attire, and I don't think either one deserves criticism from me or anyone else. Doubtless they each have found congregations where they are accepted and "fit in".

The most important question is not "what are you wearing?" but "what is in your heart?" ... and if we try our best, whatever our personal best may be, doubtless we will all fall short of heavenly perfection and just as doubtless God will forgive us that shortfalling.

Very well said! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom