What's new

Church wardrobe

interesting responses. by the way, I personally do not judge those based on their wardrobe - I say wear what you want. dressing up is just a preference for me, and while wearing a suit may seem too conservative for me I do like wearing a collared shirt, tie and dress pants/shoes. although, I think next week i'll try to wear something a little more subdued like a white collared shirt, black tie and grey houndstooth pants with black dress shoes

I'm a curmudgeony Reformed Presbyterian. :001_tt2: I feel you should dress as best as you can. If the best you have is jeans and a good t-shirt, so be it.

I didn't see this tread until this morning after I posted my Facebook joke of the morning....

Why do we wear our "Sunday Best", when we go to church to worship....is God really that superficial ???

A wife complained to me about her husband not wearing a tie...I told her that "church" isn't a fashion show and be glad that she has a husband sho regularly attends.

Joel Osteen touched on this subject yesterday, too. He has a great story about not judging people about thier clothes...just love them.

Wear what you have, God accepts you just as you are.

I once taught this in a Sunday School class. What if a young lady walks into our church for the first time with a short dress on. The asst pastor told me that he would tell her to go home and wear something decent.

I said, so if you did that, How are we showing the LOVE that Jesus wanted us to? What if she leaves and has a gets killed in a car wreck, if she isn't a Christian, our belief is she isn't going to heaven. How is that doing God's work?

SMILE GOD LOVES YOU...WITH YOUR GOOD CLOTHES ON

I am not on my soapbox, but I have heard this all my life growing up in the Southern Baptist church. It's not what you wear, it's your involvment and activity that counts.

Wear youR bib overalls if you want.

I'm not judging, but I've seen some high school girls wearing much less than appropriate on many a Sunday morning.

I told my wife, our daughter would never be allowed to leave the house wearing some of the dresses that I've seen in church.

In a few years, I guess we'll see how I've made the transition from 7 to 17 with my daughter.

I'm not judging, but I've seen some high school girls wearing much less than appropriate on many a Sunday morning.

I told my wife, our daughter would never be allowed to leave the house wearing some of the dresses that I've seen in church.

In a few years, I guess we'll see how I've made the transition from 7 to 17 with my daughter.

Agreed. Although I've been blessed with only (way more than "only"!) my son, I can say on his behalf I wouldn't want him attending churches where the girls are dressed as if they are going to some dance club. God tells us that we should not cause others to stumble and I think that when women dress like that, they are doing exactly that. Not very loving or considerate of those around them.

Sensitive issue...last August i was at a Roman Catholic wedding and the priest asked some women (guests wearing some V-bareback or V-chest dresses) to put some shawls or scarves or the ceremony didn't be held. Some women leave the church, husbands and kids included and the general mood turned bitter about priest behavior and other nasty words of him (concupiscence, lust of the believers..etc..)

I'm not sure but maybe Christ will have another opinion on such issue...

It's difficult to express this in a way that doesn't come off the wrong way.

Assuming you believe the Bible story of Jesus (which I do BTW), it's kind of hard for me to justify the "wear your Sunday best" approach, IMHO. Jesus was not into the material things of this world at all. In fact, he gave up the splendor and glory of Heaven to come live in poverty and endure all kinds of terrible things at the hands of his creation.

Because of this, I have taken to dressing down a touch. I wear a suit with no tie most Sunday mornings, and I wear jeans and a nice shirt the rest of the time. Considering God is not a respecter of people, I don't think he gives a rip about what I'm wearing (or anyone else for that matter).

I'm not passing judgement on anyone else, but that's my approach. There's a young guy that attends worship services with us who can't afford much (at all), but he's there and seems to be very sincere. I'd hate to think that I might make him a bit uncomfortable by being decked out in my $4000 outfits.

Just my $.02

EDIT: FWIW, there's a difference in inappropriate apparel (immodesty) and what I'm talking about. However, I don't think that priests or anyone else should stop services to point out (embarrass?) people because that will potentially run them off for good. My wife for example used to wear stuff that people probably wouldn't (I know of some people who surely didn't) approve of. However, as she grew, those types of clothes have been reserved for much more appropriate settings :whistling:

Point is that we can't be quick to judge those guys and gals because we can cause harm in our approach to error as well.

Last edited:
I've seen everything at church these days, including bare midriffs on the younger crowd (both genders).

I wear dress casual - Docker-style plain-front pants, polished dark leather shoes, nice long-sleeved button-down shirt or polo (depends on the temperature), dark belt, freshly showered and shaved.

I normally wear coat and tie for work and figure that the least I can do is wear that to Sunday morning service. Vary between suit and sport coat with slacks.

Sunday evenings and Wednesdays are more casual, though..

is it considered too formal to just wear black dress slacks, white collared shirt and black tie? or will people think i'm going to a funeral?

Our church is tiny, and very casual. We want anyone, no matter what their financial circumstances, to feel welcome. I generally wear jeans and a long-sleeved henley in the winter, shorts and sandals a lot in summer. I do the "preaching" most of the time and so far haven't heard any objections to how I dress, from either the congregation or a higher authority...

I think you should wear what is comfortable for you. I had an experience I will not forget anytime soon. My best friend had driven me to the university hospital which is huge. I keep a scooter that breaks down in four pieces in the trunk. My friend removed the parts in the lower level parking garage. Try as she might she couldn't get it to power up. It was summer and about 100 degrees of humidity and exhaust fumes.

A number of people walked by glancing at us and kept going, many of them men. Eventually no one was around. Two young men walked by and looked at us and kept on going. Their pants were half way down their butt, baseball hats sideways and sloppy - floppy tennis shoes. When they were about ten cars away, they turned back around and walked slowly toward us. I told my friend; uh-oh, we're in trouble.

One of the guys said,I think I can help you, leaned down, put it together and connected the battery properly and it powered up. I extended my hand to shake his in thanks; he reached over and gave me a hug saying "God bless you", and then they walked away.

We walk thru the lives of many ppl and often never know how we impact others. The contact with this young man was probably less than five minutes tops but I have not forgotten this kindness in a number of years and probably won 't. I kind'of doubt God cares what this young man wears tp church.

IMHO, it's what's on the 'inside' that really counts.
Sue

Pretty much what I wear to work, which is business casual. If I'm playing trumpet, I'll dress it up a bit more and go for the suit/sport coat. Sometimes the music director will want the orchestra/ensemble in all-black, so I've done that as well.

Last edited:
How I answer this question depends on the person asking. If they are not a regular church attendee, I would say "It doesn't matter what you wear, just find a good church and go." If they are a regular practicing attendee/believer, then I would say "You should bring your best to worship, and to me that includes respectful attire."

I wear dress clothes, if not a suit then at least dress pants with a dress shirt and blazer, but then again, so do most men at my church. I understand many prefer contemporary worship with a more casual style in all matters, including dress. This is purely a matter of preference, but regardless of the environment, I think you will be able to determine what is respectful and as the OP said, presentable.

I pretty much wear what I wear to work everyday, business casual. Usually slacks and a dress shirt... occassionally a tie as well.

If I'm in a hurry on the weekend or have something else going on after mass, I will sometimes wear jeans and a nice polo.

Interesting thread. I'm a Buddhist, so I come from a completely different tradition. When you go to meditate, you can usually tell the people who've done the most and made the most progress by the fact that they look clean but a bit shabby and sit at the back, saying very little, just getting on with things. At my National Temple, Samye Ling, there's usually a couple of people like that who you don't even notice..until you come back for the "next" meditation and they're still in exactly the same position. One amazing Tibetan guy actually sneaks up into the attic to meditate and can be there for 5 or 6 hours without anyone knowing till he sneaks down again. The people who dress up or have new clothes on, tend to be the tourists and / or day-visitors who still have a lot to do with the conventional world. Its totally different. I went to a Nigerian church once and wore what I'd normally wear for Temple, i.e. really loose, worn, washed-out cotton trousers and my favourite shirt, which was officially to knackered to wear to work. Boy did I get a shock! Every single one of those Nigerians was dressed fit to run for election, looking absolutely stunning, with shining skin, new cornrows etc and I felt like a total, complete and utter tramp!
Thing is, if they'd all trooped into Samye Ling, they'd felt as out of place as I did.

what do you wear? a suit? dress casual (nice trousers, button-up shirt & tie)? casual (jeans and button up shirt)

Yes.....

I usually wear Jeans/khaki pants and a Golf Shirt. I occationally wear khaki shorts in the summer. I aggree with the apropriate atire philosophy (ie no tank tops or short shorts or skirts.) I rarely wear a tie, because I don't like them. Jesus wore a common tunic like the commoner of the time and place. I don't believe he will be too upset with me. I find "sunday best" often (but not always) to be a an outlet for materialism. Kind of like collecting razors if you let it. Nothing wrong with wearing suit & tie as long as it doesn't come between you and your worship of God. Same goes for wearing Jeans and a T-shirt. The apparel is not why your there :D

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Once you find a church you are comfortable with, feel out what the general approach to dress there is, and find your comfort level within it. Wearing a suit to the jeans-n-hoodie church is as silly as wearing jeans and a hoodie to the suit & tie church. "Business casual" is a good starting point when beginning to attend an unknown church, as it isn't that far from any likely "dress code" (I hate to use that phrase, as 99% of the time there's no formal rule, but 2 words is shorter than a paragraph.)

Generally speaking, I agree with a lot of the points made. Church attire should strike a balance between showing some respect for the act of worship, and not getting into peacockery and one-up-manship of the "I'm holier than thou since my suit is more expensive." You should feel comfortable, with a twinge of recognition that this is something special and important you are doing.

The most important thing is ... go to Church ... and if attitudes to dress "code" make that less likely for n00bs to walk through those doors, that's just wrong.

Ultimately, for us it's about God and for God it's about us. God won't care what you are wearing to church, so long as you care.

Some of the outfits that I see women wear to church are mortifying. Many long legs and buxom chests have been covered with my jacket. :ohmy:

Check out the first 30 seconds of this ... spot on!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0gjynI2W_k&feature=PlayList&p=6DA81A05839306CA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13[/YOUTUBE]

I used to go to a church where one of the few members I knew was there every week was a woman who always showed up with unkempt hair, an over-sized t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants with holes in it. I remember thinking little of her when we first started going (I was around 10 at the time), but as I got older, I really started to respect her, even though we've long since moved out of the area and go to a different church now.

I view church as a place where you can sort of lean on each other and have a break from the rest of the week. Some people express that by dressing up, and others by dressing down. We have both ends of the spectrum at our church, and everyone seems to respect each other. I'm part of the worship service so I wear robes almost every week (Episcopalian), and as such I usually don't dress up.

Top Bottom