What's new

Church Attire for Sunday Morning Service.

What is your most common dress attire for Sunday Morning Church Service?

• Suit and Tie

• Dress Shirt, Tie, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Blue Jeans

• T-shirt, Blue Jeans

Results are only viewable after voting.
Depends on what day Im going to mass. It's hard for me to go on Weekends since my wife works graves so usually go to 630 am mass during the week so I'm already in a suit and tie but usually don't wear my coat.

If by chance I can make it to a Saturday mass, it's the youth mass which is pretty cool because of the music so I just wear slacks and a polo shirt.

Yet I very seriously doubt Christ cared. He, in my opinion, would be more comfortable with the poor workers who may not have any fine Sunday clothes then he would be the middle class and rich.

For most, church is social and you only dress "well" to fit and outdo your neighbors.

I don't disagree with you that Christ did not care how people dressed. The issue for Him, as He made it clear in one of this woes to the Pharisees, was that their hearts were uncircumcised. On the inside they were like graves, unclean. The accusation, for a 1st century Jew, was pretty hienous. He compared their hearts to a grave, something that was unclean before God: He called they, who prided themselves on adherance to the Law, stained before the Lord. To put it into perspective, other things considered unclean were menstural rags. (Bible translators "church" it up and put "filthy rags" as a translation of this word, but they were a woman's menstrual rags.)

They adhered to the Law out of pride, not out of obedience to or love for God, and they certainly didn't realize that they were born lawbreakers before they drew a breath. In another woe, Christ made this abundantly clear, calling on the Pharisees' own words to convict them that they were the children of those who murdered the prophets and that all of the innocent blood, from Able to Zechariah, would be on their heads.

How someone was dressed didn't matter, it was whether their heart had been inclined toward God that mattered. Christ did not hang out with tax collectors because they were considered lowly and despised, He hung out with them because they were His people by divine decree. Indeed, God chose the lowly to shame the prideful, but that doesn't mean Christ associated with people because they were lowly, He associated with them because they were His, regardless of social or economic status.

Last edited:
Andrew, you make a very good point, Christ does not require that we dress a certain way, it is what is in our hearts that matters. But the tradition of wearing your very best is born in the idea that worship is so important, so high, so magnificent that you would want to be at your best. For example, you would not go to a meeting with the Queen of Great Britain dressed down. No, you would want to make a good impression. By wearing your very best, you are paying respect to God. That is how I was raised and why I voted for suit and tie.

Last edited:
Andrew, you make a very good point, Christ does not require that we dress a certain way, it is what is in our hearts that matters. But the tradition of wearing your very best is born in the idea that worship is so important, so high, so magnificent that you would want to be at your best. For example, you would not go to a meeting with the Queen of Great Britain dressed down. No, you would want to make a good impression. By wearing your very best, you are paying respect to God. That is how I was raised and why I voted for suit and tie.

Agreed!

Looks like the votes reflect what I've been seeing here locally and I see then that it pretty much holds true everywhere. Suits seem to have it, with dress shirt and khakis in second. Looks like most people still dress up a bit but there's those who prefer to go a little more relaxed. It also seems those that dress up do so out of respect and those who choose not to take the stand that you don't have to dress up to be a devout follower of your religion.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In my line of work I have met many thieves, liars, and cheats and the biggest have worn suits. (The worst sinner I know also wears a suit and is the guy in the mirror who watches me shave every day).

I had to read that a few times before I figured out you weren't saying you wear a suit to shave.

:confused1:confused1:001_rolle:lol:

Depends,

The Pharisees wore elaborate clothing to honor themselves. Christ compared them to white-washed tombs because they were attractive on the outside, but unclean on the inside.

Some other people wear nice clothing out of respect and awe to God. Rather than trying to appear as white-washed tombs, they realize that Christ is their righteousness, not their works or their clothes. However, out of adoration and awe, they dress well, not to be saved, but because they already have been.

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king, yet so often people dress so utterly irreverently when worshiping before the King of creation. I personally think it dangerous to imagine the God who struck a man dead for reaching out to steady His footstool (the Ark) and struck His high priest's sons dead for offering profane fire, as a dottering, grandfatherly figure who will excuse me because He is kind and nice. In no wise will He excuse me, nor has He. He wrought my punishment on His Son and because of His Son I am acceptable, but nonetheless accountable for how I conduct myself, most especially before Him.

+1000

I think that covers it!

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I tend to be pretty conservative in religion. I am baptised in the Brethren (Dunker) faith, but used to attend, and feel as much at home, in the conservative Mennonite church too.

Personally I feel that what I choose to put on the outside shows what is really in my heart in every day dress as well as on Sunday. To church I wear dark dress pants and a white long sleeve shirt, summer or winter, with a jacket when it is cold outside. To me we should dress with respect when we worship in Church but know that it is the worship, not our dress that really matters. The Lord would rather have us there in any clothing than not be there at all.

Even on the street every day I feel a certain way towards dress. I just don't feel right in the latest trends and fashions. No graphic tees, no shorts, no short sleeve, no tee shirts. I dress conservatively every day as that is what I feel in my heart. I realize this is not for everyone and that everyone must follow their own path. In my circle it is the norm.

I'm not saying my way is the right way, I'm just presenting a different viewpoint than many may have experience with.

I will say though that many of the youth in my congregation have strayed far from our roots and show up on Sunday, or even every day on the street in clothing that exposes far too much for modesty. It is a shame that many young women these days feel that it is only their outward beauty that matters.

Tony

I will say though that many of the youth in my congregation have strayed far from our roots and show up on Sunday, or even every day on the street in clothing that exposes far too much for modesty. It is a shame that many young women these days feel that it is only their outward beauty that matters.

Tony

Or that they must leave so little to the imagination.

+1

I wear a dress shirt and dress pants. I would wear a suit, but I think a 19-year-old would look silly in one.
I don't think so. Honestly, anyone that wears a suit to mass/service looks great in my opinion.

Tho it might be bit much at a Buddhist temple. :laugh: But, not that anyone would mind.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think so. Honestly, anyone that wears a suit to mass/service looks great in my opinion.

Tho it might be bit much at a Buddhist temple. :laugh: But, not that anyone would mind.

A suit for a 19-year-old should be age appropriate, in the sense of a more slim-cut fit "this is not your father's oldsmobile-suit" sort of way. That kind of suit will look good on a kid ... kind of like the difference between young-thin-Indian Buddha and old-fat-Chinese Buddha.

(See how I touch on both themes of Stubblefield's post together ... :001_cool:)

Very well put. Unfortunately, in my local Catholic parish, dress pants, a dress shirt and a sport jacket are considered the height of sophistication. Slobwear is the norm. There is another parish nearby which we go to on occasion where the congregation is a little more dressier.

I grew up in a Baptist church. The older men, like my Grandpa, wore suits with ties. I don't think I've ever seen any of them wear a suit without a tie - is that even possible? Anyway, their kids like my dad and his brothers were mixed - some wore slacks and a dress shirt, others wore a suit, and some business professional type dress like khakis and knit shirts. The boys generally wore slacks or kahkis and dress shirts and girls wore dresses. The women wore dresses. Blue Jeans weren't worn to church. This was the 80s - early 90s. I haven't been back to that church since around 93-94 so I don't know what it's like now.

Now days I don't go to a Baptist church. When I go, it's a nondenominational church and is very laid back. You have people wearing shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. Mostly it's blue jeans and knit shirts with one or two people associated with the church wearing suits, but again, they're generally older folks and it's a rare sighting. The pastor and his wife dress up in what I'd consider business professional. Oh, and when football season starts we'll get out of there by 11:30...

Personally, I wear blue jeans or khakis with a knit shirt tucked and leather shoes and of course, I shave before church. I went to one church and some people mentioned how dressed up I was and were hinting how was strange and unnecessary it was.

Last edited:
Depends,

The Pharisees wore elaborate clothing to honor themselves. Christ compared them to white-washed tombs because they were attractive on the outside, but unclean on the inside.

Some other people wear nice clothing out of respect and awe to God. Rather than trying to appear as white-washed tombs, they realize that Christ is their righteousness, not their works or their clothes. However, out of adoration and awe, they dress well, not to be saved, but because they already have been.

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king, yet so often people dress so utterly irreverently when worshiping before the King of creation. I personally think it dangerous to imagine the God who struck a man dead for reaching out to steady His footstool (the Ark) and struck His high priest's sons dead for offering profane fire, as a dottering, grandfatherly figure who will excuse me because He is kind and nice. In no wise will He excuse me, nor has He. He wrought my punishment on His Son and because of His Son I am acceptable, but nonetheless accountable for how I conduct myself, most especially before Him.

Andrew, you have said it better than I ever could. God is the only worthy one and He expects that we treat Him that way.

i'm more of the easter/christmas church-goer. I usually wear a sport coat, shirt (maybe tie) and slacks. Although on Sunday I had a vest, tie, dress shirt and khakis. :thumbup:

I regularly wear a suit to church. The only reason is because I am involved. The biggest difference with me and the others is that I always add some sense of rock n roll to my attire. If you were to go where I attend, expect to see a deacon with either some wild color/pattern, Doc Martens and leather bracelets, or all of the previous mentioned together.

Top Bottom